• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Best Guest Characters in B5!

Also have to add Sarah Douglas as J'hadur - Deathwalker. Jane Carr as Timov in Soul Mates was also quite good.

Timov was great, no doubt, but the other two were equally great. That episode was pretty corny and could have easily been as cringe-inducingly corny as Ivanova's sex dance or the Zarg, but those actresses turned it into one of the show's rarely successful comedic stories.

Trivia note for folks not getting the script books. "Soul Mates" almost didn't get made when Peter David didn't come up with an outline that JMS could approve in two tries. Peter solved the problem but the story was actually spiked (killed). Against all advice, Peter wrote the script on spec and sent it to JMS under the pretense of it being a script for the comics and JMS bought it.

Jan

So I'm listening to the episode soundtrack for Walkabout right now, and my nomination is for Erika Gimpel as Caitlyn (the spelling changes from place to place) in Walkabout. Babylon 5 is very musical, and has so many references to music and its importance. Her acting was very good, her character was soothing. Her singing? Wow. Not generally my style of music, but wow. Hell of a singer.

GKarsEye, you have had me laughing out loud with two of your recent posts and I thank you. The world needs laughter.

Of course, if you go by the markets, the world also needs landmines. Just an observation. :p

Raw Shark

"Don't tickle, smash."
Heinz Guderian

So I'm listening to the episode soundtrack for Walkabout right now, and my nomination is for Erika Gimpel as Caitlyn (the spelling changes from place to place) in Walkabout. Babylon 5 is very musical, and has so many references to music and its importance. Her acting was very good, her character was soothing. Her singing? Wow. Not generally my style of music, but wow. Hell of a singer.

Be prepared to hold a minority opinion on that one. I remember her coming up in discussion before and people are not fans, and opinion I share.
Although, given my personal romantic and musical inclinations, one would think the idea of a sexy, wise but vulnerable R&B singer lifting the spirits of a tortured soul would play right into my fantasies and I would love the story. But the whole thing just felt clumsy and poorly executed to me, and a bit too corny.

Depending on the criteria for guest appearances, I would have to say that my favorites were either Neroon or Ta'Lon. If you're going for one shot appearances I'd have to go with Timov, General Franklin, or Elric.

With a strong love for Timov, and Murielle, :devil::) No Love for Adira? One of the most influential small characters in the B5 universe.:p:cool:

So, which is more influential to you? Appreciation of the sexual attraction, or appreciation of... well, everything else? When it comes to who you considered the one best guest character, is it sexual attraction that wins out?

I'm always interesting in what motivates the majority of the audience.

To clarify, I recall clearly (and painfully) seeing the movie "Dune" when it originally came out and then again many years later. When it originally came out, I admit to having a crush on Kyle MacLachlan.

Seeing it again, many years later, I was actually embarrassed at how different the entire movie seemed to be to me. Why, someone snuck in and rewrote, reshot, and re-edited the entire film, right? I mean, the character of Paul just wasn't the same brilliant character I'd seen in my younger years, was it? :eek:

And if JMS had ever been cheap enough to write a lousy part for Patrick Stewart, but with a brilliant shower scene, would I have recognized it as such? :eek:

And one more thought on the issue: some shows are rather obvious in their planting of certain characters in hopes of attracting certain "hormonal" audiences. Let's face it, was the character of Checkov in the original Star Trek series really put in as a gesture of respect to the Russians and their space program? With that awful wig he wore at first? Or was the character added in hopes of attracting more of the hormonal young girls to the show?

Personally, I think Walter Koenig was lucky to get even a single good line or moment in the entire show, considering what (I think) his character was created to do.

And I must say, though the scene in Star Trek the Next Generation that showed the most "skin" of you-know-who was anything but sexy (the Cardassian/Picard torture episodes) and was brilliantly acted, if JMS had written an awful episode guest starring Patrick Stewart on his worst day in the weakest acting moment of his life, would I have recognized it as such? Would I still consider Brother Edwards to be the best guest character that B5 ever had? Or would Brad Dourif's acting and the character of Brother Edwards been quickly forgotten by me?

No comment. :drool:

Last edited:
:LOL:

I just sense there must be a deeper meaning, as they are so prevalent. ;)

That and I couldn't sleep, and was bored. :devil:

Adira is without question the hottest guest star (she taught me that my ponytail addiction can even counteract baldness), but her acting just wasn't that great.

(I have been known, however, to watch really appalling movies in pursuit of prettiness; one evening when I was channel-surfing, I even watched parts of "Bring it On," solely because Eliza Dushku's in it.

(I have been known, however, to watch really appalling movies in pursuit of prettiness; one evening when I was channel-surfing, I even watched parts of "Bring it On," solely because Eliza Dushku's in it.
I've done the same thing on occasion. My most recent one was watching Missy Peregrym in "Stick it." (BTW that movie wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about). The movie itself wasn't that great, but she was STACKED in it. She was in phenomenal shape (clearly worked out to have the body of a gymnast). I enjoyed just watching her and sort of dismissed the movie itself. It did, however, have a somewhat interesting/twist ending that I thought was kind of cool, and almost removed all guilt of watching the movie in the first place.

"Stick it." (BTW that movie wasn't about what I thought it was going to be about).

lol

I also watched a bit of Bring It On, but because of Gabrielle Union. Not that Dushku ain't easy on the eyes too, for sure. I even sat through half of some horrendous formulaic black romantic comedy because of Gabrielle Union. She's... well, she's just great.

Certainly Babylon 5 isn't much on the sexy department. However, I do think Talia Winters added a bit of sexuality to the show, and in a way that actually helped the show. Science fiction in general has a big problem incorporating sexuality (don't even get me started on the modern Trek shows). But with Talia you see a woman who has a somewhat believable romantic and sexual past, stifled by her telepathic powers. So you get this vulnerable but dangerously sexy person. It's a real shame she left the show- a lot more could've been done with her.

I just sense there must be a deeper meaning, as they are so prevalent.

My penis jokes are prevelant? No deeper meaning beyond my vulgar, immature nature. And, you know- my penis is quite fantastic.

Of course eye-candy is a big part of the fun of popular entertainment, duh. TV and movies, are really not much more than beautiful people doing exciting things.

And, you know- my penis is quite fantastic.

That sounds exactly like something Markas would say. And that is a compliment, you know. :)

Of course eye-candy is a big part of the fun of popular entertainment, duh. TV and movies, are really not much more than beautiful people doing exciting things.

That may be the truest general statement I've ever heard made about t.v. and the movies. Even in movies where a major character is not model-stereotype-visual-perfection, they are inevitably making a point by not being so. And they are surrounded by... you guessed it: stereotypical-model-perfection characters.

It just bothers me when, at the age of 43, such things can actually override other elements of entertainment that by all rights at my age should be my main focus. :LOL:

It just bothers me when, at the age of 43, such things can actually override other elements of entertainment that by all rights at my age should be my main focus. :LOL:
At your age?

What in hezmana do you mean by "at my age" when you're 43?

Remember the old villager in The Magnificent Seven!

"and as to women ..... I became indifferent when I was 83." ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Back