• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon5quotes.com

Elenopa

Regular
Just got this email. Looks good.

Greetings!
ANNOUCEMENT #1
Babylon5Quotes.com

Shortly after the first volume of B5 scripts appeared, a number of posts appeared on the moderated Babylon 5 newsgroup inquiring about the possibility of producing Cool Stuff featuring quotations from Babylon 5, especially with Christmas lurking just around the corner with a bag of candy and a sock filled with quarters suitable for whacking the heck out of unwary consumers. (Yes, we all have our own ideas about Yuletide traditions, but isn't that what the season is all about?)

In response to those inquiries, the Babylon 5 Scripts team sat down with jms to come up with the most popular quotations from Babylon 5. When we learned that there was an entire book awaiting publication filled with such quotes, we took the aforementioned sock full of quarters and whacked the bejeezus out of him until he agreed to narrow down the field to 10 quotes.

We were able to get it down to thirteen. What can we say, the man just over-writes everything.

With that, the Babylon 5 Scripts team -- now masquerading as the Babylon 5 Quotes team, complete with trenchcoat and false mustache -- set to work like elves in Santa's workshop, laboring day and night, until finally, bleary-eyed but happy, they looked up at their finished work.

And lo, it was cool.

Really Nifty Stuff featuring Babylon 5 quotes are now available via www.babylon5quotes.com

We're talking here steins and mugs with Ivanova's mantra...t-shirts and caps announcing that in purple you are stunning, and warning that when you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy...greeting cards declaring that Faith Manages and reaffirming that hope is all we have...baseball caps that tell everyone within visual range that you are in the midst of fifteen things, all of them annoying, and are therefore paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate...and reminding them that you can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

Those are just some of the items that are now available, in addition to one very important item, the quote most often referred to by viewers and used on a breathtaking number of websites for churches and wiccan groups, marriage vows, teachers and just general fans... the Declaration of Principles by Citizen G'Kar. We've made only a few items available with the Declaration of Principles (because to be honest we couldn't imagine putting it on an apron, and a bib was just philosophically wrong), because this one speech more than almost anything else encompasses everything that is central to the Babylon 5 storyline.

So while you're checking out volume 2, you may want to swing by the quotes section and have a look around. We think you'll be pleased.

ANNOUCEMENT #2
Volume 2 Now Available and at a Special Discount

• A brand new 57 page, 15,000 word introduction and commentary written exclusively for this volume! (That’s two thousand words longer than volume one.)

• 37 pages of memos describing for the first time the design of B5's guns, links, and the alien sector...the creation of new regular characters later omitted from the series (The Boss and The Mysterious Mr. Jones).

In a special feature, the memos also include story development notes and recently-rediscovered premises for such lost season one Babylon 5 episodes as The World Below, The Resurrectionist, The Commander’s Hour, In Their Image, Debt of Honor, Target Unknown and many, many more!

• 8 pages of B&W photos of cast and crew taken by Straczynski, drawn from his personal archives, seen here for the first time.

PLUS these scripts:
• And the Sky, Full of Stars
• Signs and Portents
• A Voice in the Wilderness (Part One)
• A Voice in the Wilderness (Part Two)
• Babylon Squared
• The Quality of Mercy

And the famous first-season finale...
• Chrysalis

In this extensive analysis, you will also --

DISCOVER what dumpster diving, living in a cult’s religious commune, and sixties coffeehouses had to do with the creation of both the Joe Straczynski Memorial Mandala and the Babylon 5 five-year arc, a bit of personal history jms has never shared before.

HEAR for yourself the consequences that followed when Claudia Christian was left strapped into a Starfury during an earthquake.

UNRAVEL the truth behind Londo’s hair once and for all...who is REALLY to blame for this, why, and where it all started to go completely out of control.

WITNESS the process that led to Morden’s famous “What do you want?” questions.

LEARN the secrets of production that kept Babylon on- course and on-budget for five years, and turned the B5 cast and crew into one of the tightest families in television.

FIND OUT what Warner Bros. said when it came time to reveal Londo Mollari’s...attributes...on camera, and even more horrifying, what happened when the prop department had to actually build the darned things.

UNDERSTAND how the Babylon 5 sets and costumes were designed, and what made them different from nearly every other TV series.

LAUGH with hysterical dementia as you discover what happened the night the network LOST the next episode of Babylon 5 and decided to put it together themselves.

SEE with your own eyes the Amazing Snackie Bowl Incident that saved the day while filming “And the Sky, Full of Stars”

SLOG THROUGH jms’s over-wrought and breathtakingly inaccurate observations on culture, history, Gandhi, warfare, sacrifice blahdee-blahdee-blah he’s SO into this stuff, but it helped shape the future history of Babylon 5 so we had no choice but to include it. We apologize profusely.

UNCOVER why and how the “fasten/zip” scene came to be written, and the horrors that followed thereafter.

PREPARE TO BE SHOCKED when you learn who Zathras was modeled after (you’ll never guess this one!)

BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE!

Hidden plot details, revealed! Secrets of production, exposed! Untold stories of the cast, unearthed! Centauri hairlines, apologized for! High-priced writing advice, freely given! The June Lockhart Rainbow Break, explained! And what the HECK is “The Hokey Pokey” doing in Babylon 5?

Volume 2 is $39.99 But for exactly 7 days — from Saturday, November 26th through Friday December 2nd — we are putting it on sale at a very special price: $29.99 That’s 25% off. But you must order by the deadline.

:eek: Wow! How cool is that?! :D I'm pretty sure I need both the "karma" coffee mug and the all white "Faith manages" ball cap! :D Trust me, in my case, it's a need not a want...;)

:) I've been back to that site a few times now and I have a question...two questions: Just exactly what is the difference between a baseball cap and a "trucker's" cap...and WHY do you suppose there's nothing under the "Just for girls" category? :LOL:Great idea to put that category in the list, bad idea not to have anything in it!! :LOL: My credit card and I keep gravitating to that spot so we buy can some of the stuff it says is just for me... :( but there's no stuff there!! I don't get it.... :LOL: :LOL:

Wait a bit. JMS has said that he'll look into girl's tees and the like. Could be that it's a standard catagory but the question's been asked so you and your credit card keep checking. ;-)

From the help screen:

CafePress.com guarantees 100% secure ordering for all of our customers. To protect you and your personal account information, CafePress.com employs SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) technology. SSL is the industry standard and the best software available for secure commerce transactions. The SSL technology works by sending all of your personal information, including credit card number, name and address information to our computer in an encrypted code. Only CafePress.com can then decode it. In addition, you are protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act, which prohibits your bank from holding you liable for more than $50.00 of fraudulent charges. CafePress.com also pledges to use the best and most accepted methods and technologies to insure your personal information is safe and secure. If you have any other questions about the safety and security of your personal information, please do not hesitate to call or email us. If you feel more comfortable placing an order by phone, feel free to use the phone number below as well. Please note that we use a SSL (Secure Socket Layer) 128 bit encryption for our Web site.

Jan

Just exactly what is the difference between a baseball cap and a "trucker's" cap?

I'm not an expert on caps since I rarely wear them. I've never hear of caps classified this specifically, but the pictures on the Joe Store site triggered the difference in my head. Here's my best guess...

Baseball Cap: Has the same kind of cottony fabric all the way around it and is usually the same color all the way around. Looks a little more sporty and/or preppy.

Trucker Cap: Has a slicker kind of fabric in the front quarter and a net-like material the rest of the way around; the slick front and the net back and sides are often different colors from each other. Less sporty/preppy looking than the Baseball Cap.

Can we make suggestions? :D

Probably. ;) We've certainly made plenty of them over on the moderated newsgroup. You could use the feedback form over at the scripts site, too (bottom button). So far, they seem very responsive.

Jan

Baseball Cap: .... a little more sporty and/or preppy.

Trucker Cap: ....Less sporty/preppy looking than the Baseball Cap.

Hmmmm....Less sporty and preppy sounds like a fastion "no-no" to me. :D I'm going for the ball cap!

Quote:
Can we make suggestions?

Probably. We've certainly made plenty of them over on the moderated newsgroup. You could use the feedback form over at the scripts site, too (bottom button). So far, they seem very responsive.

Jan

Is it just me or did they miss some of the better quotes for the merchandise? Granted, some of the best quotes are dialogue between two or more people, which would not translate well to merchandise, but I'm surprised that Londo's statement to Vir that, "Intelligence has nothing to do with politics," didn't make it over some of the others. Maybe that statement doesn't come off as being funny or profound if you don't know the context in which it was spoken in B5.

Is it just me or did they miss some of the better quotes for the merchandise? Granted, some of the best quotes are dialogue between two or more people, which would not translate well to merchandise, but I'm surprised that Londo's statement to Vir that, "Intelligence has nothing to do with politics," didn't make it over some of the others. Maybe that statement doesn't come off as being funny or profound if you don't know the context in which it was spoken in B5.
I'm with you. They didn't have most of my favorites either. And I don't really want a cap or a pillow. The magnets would be cool, I collect them on my fridge. But I don't need 10 of them! :rolleyes:

Boxie,

Just think of the name ... do you want to look like a trucker?

:D

:LOL: You may be right; I didn't think of that. A friend of mine thinks I look kind of :eek: :eek: cute in my ballcap... I have a World Series cap I like to wear when my team is playing...so I guess I'd better stick with what I know works, huh? :p

Oh, and I think ten magnets is a little much, too... :eek: unless you use them as stocking stuffers! :D Hey, there's an idea!

Of course, the quotes are limited to the ones in Joe's scripts as those are the ones he has copyrite for.

There is an interesting discussion over on the moderated news group as to which quote could be used on a thong. Plenty of suggestions were put forward, but it was jms himself that came up with the winner;

"Congratulations. You're about to go where every man has gone before."

Any idea who actually selected the quotes that are being used? :) I like all of them, but I can think of others too, so I'm curious who chose them.

A "fan" might chose something even the writer wouldn't have picked as memorable. :LOL: I know there have been times I've written something I believe so profound...something intended to really strike the reader...and yet that thought blows right past them and they focus on something else instead! It's definitely "humbling" when that happens! :LOL: :LOL:

If I remember the Quote Book's early process, JMS requested suggestions from Fans (Something about not being able to see the forest through the trees, since he was the writer), and then took those suggestions into consideration for the Quote Book. So, I would think these "Quote" products are a small sampling from what was put together for the quotebook.

Here's what the email said that announced the quote items as well as the Volume #2 script book being available:

Shortly after the first volume of B5 scripts appeared, a number of posts appeared on the moderated Babylon 5 newsgroup inquiring about the possibility of producing Cool Stuff featuring quotations from Babylon 5, especially with Christmas lurking just around the corner with a bag of candy and a sock filled with quarters suitable for whacking the heck out of unwary consumers. (Yes, we all have our own ideas about Yuletide traditions, but isn't that what the season is all about?)

In response to those inquiries, the Babylon 5 Scripts team sat down with jms to come up with the most popular quotations from Babylon 5. When we learned that there was an entire book awaiting publication filled with such quotes, we took the aforementioned sock full of quarters and whacked the bejeezus out of him until he agreed to narrow down the field to 10 quotes.

We were able to get it down to thirteen. What can we say, the man just over-writes everything.

With that, the Babylon 5 Scripts team -- now masquerading as the Babylon 5 Quotes team, complete with trenchcoat and false mustache -- set to work like elves in Santa's workshop, laboring day and night, until finally, bleary-eyed but happy, they looked up at their finished work.

And lo, it was cool.

Really Nifty Stuff featuring Babylon 5 quotes are now available via www.babylon5quotes.com

We're talking here steins and mugs with Ivanova's mantra...t-shirts and caps announcing that in purple you are stunning, and warning that when you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy...greeting cards declaring that Faith Manages and reaffirming that hope is all we have...baseball caps that tell everyone within visual range that you are in the midst of fifteen things, all of them annoying, and are therefore paying off karma at a vastly accelerated rate...and reminding them that you can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.

Those are just some of the items that are now available, in addition to one very important item, the quote most often referred to by viewers and used on a breathtaking number of websites for churches and wiccan groups, marriage vows, teachers and just general fans... the Declaration of Principles by Citizen G'Kar. We've made only a few items available with the Declaration of Principles (because to be honest we couldn't imagine putting it on an apron, and a bib was just philosophically wrong), because this one speech more than almost anything else encompasses everything that is central to the Babylon 5 storyline.

So while you're checking out volume 2, you may want to swing by the quotes section and have a look around. We think you'll be pleased.

:)
Jan

Back