• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Minbari suck

I think you're missing the suck/swallow joke. ;)

Another reason the Minbari suck: They sleep at an angle! Dummies.

The only justification I can give for the Minbari is what Delenn said, "We went mad together." Perhaps they did not originally intend to annihilate Earth. That may have been the result of incidents like the aborted peace negotiation from "In the Beginning."

Consider that the Windswords sheltered the war criminal J'Ha'Dur. It's possible that the Dilgar were under the influence of the Shadows or the Drakh, and they managed to corrupt at least some of the Minbari.

Ok, who wants to make the bumper sticker...
"Minbari suck, Andrew Swallow."

/me runs and ducks and covers!

Why are you using my name? I did not start this thread and the only posting I made was about the Shadows.

Sorry Andrew. No offence intended. I was making a bad joke. See there are lots of people here who have that bumper sticker that reads, "Mean People Suck". In the last year I've seen a number of bumper stickers that say, "Mean People Suck, Nice People Swallow." So I was kind of making a play on that assuming you all saw the same bumper sticker as I. Obviously I was wrong. I'm sorry :eek: I actually don't know if you have a sense of humor or not so I probably should not be joking. I just can't help it sometimes :rolleyes:

No bumberstickers in England?!?!

I find that sort of hard to... uh.... well.... you know.

We have window stickers instead.

Cna't belive i've only just found this thread, it rocks!

Isn't that a bit, well, dangerous? If you cover your bumper with stickers it might be a little distracting to others, if you cover your windows it gets a bit difficult to see. :D Unless the message on the bumper sticker is "Screw the Police" I would think it to be the safer option.

We have some bumperstickers that say, "BAD COP! NO DONUT!!"

Believe it or not, some idiots actually put them on their cars!!

Great post GKE. And you forgot that idiotic LOTR part where they try to expell David Martell for retreating from battle instead of standing there unarmed waiting to get his ass kicked. Please! :eek:

Finally, to my knowledge, Delenn did not authorize attacking civilian targets...
She said quite clearly: "Kill them! All of them! All of them! No mercy!"

#1 Conveniently for the Minbari, they never got started with any *action* indicating desire to destroy indiscriminately.
#2 To my knowledge, Minbari refused to accept surrender only from military vessels.
You obviously either never saw "In the Beginning" or have a serious problem with the English language. :)

#1 Minbari guy:"Whether they fight or not, they know they will die anyway"
#2 President whatever: "We have continued to broadcast our surrender and a plea for mercy, but they have not responded"

if a simple conversation with someone you like (possibly on the level of thoughts, not even words) could provide all the pleasurable aspects of sex... then who would bother having "real" sex?
I'll just pretend I never heard that! :mad:

Anyway... sex raises risk of transmitting disease, or experiencing unwanted pregnancy (and pregnancy itself is a horribly inconvenient/inefficient process).
Of course there are these tiny insignificant things called condoms. :rolleyes: And I thought that whole "sex for breeding only" concept was gone, but apparently I was wrong.
Eficiency has got nothing to do with it whatsoever. :p

Religion is very important to many people, and is just as valid a reason for our actions as any.
Fine, but if your actions include deliberately exterminating an entire species, or even a single individual, then no argument is valid, not religion nor anything. That's why I was angry at how Believers turned out. And rage is not a valid argument either, it's just an excuse we use to justify the mistakes we make due to plain stupidity: it makes no difference to the families of those killed whether is was the result of rage or careful planning.

And one thing that makes the Minbari look even more stupid: they had a huge advantage in the war, and yet they surrendered! :( If they wanted to stop the war, they didn't have to surrender. A simple peace offering would do the trick, and the EA would be more than willing to accept. They could've even accepted Earth's continuously broadcasting surrender and come out of the war victorious. That way, they could have avoided the resulting spite of the warrior caste and the Civil War might have been prevented. :mad:

Anyway, my two credits for this thread. :cool:

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops! Sorry, I read the first 2 pages and didn't realise there were more, so I replied, not knowing that the conversation had gone off topic. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Well, I think it was a good post anyway. :cool:

She said quite clearly: "Kill them! All of them! All of them! No mercy!
Who did she mean? Perhaps just the crews of the ships which attacked? Have you got proof of what she meant? No? Then anything is possible.

Minbari guy:"Whether they fight or not, they know they will die anyway"
The words of one Minbari guy... do not outweigh the actions of the Minbari fleet. To convince me of their "murderous intent", name a civilian colony (or at least a civilian ship) which the Minbari destroyed.

President whatever: "We have continued to broadcast our surrender and a plea for mercy, but they have not responded"
Mere words. Minbari had no responsibility to listen to the sobbing of an Earth president, much less start comforting a person irresponsible enough to let their military expedition fly off handle.

Earth Force had initiated war against the Minbari. They wanted Earth Force offline... and took it offline, thoroughly, every military ship they could get. Then they stopped, to my knowledge short of dropping a single weapon on Earth.

Actions are far more representative of a person (or civilization) than words. If words contradict actions, it pays to read the actions, setting words further aside.

Nobody can say that some Minbari didn't have corrupt motives. Sure enough, some did. But they failed to act upon those motives, in a situation where they could have.

You obviously either never saw "In the Beginning" or have a serious problem with the English language. :)
You seem to have a more serious problem: difficulty understanding that civilizations are composed of individuals -- with different opinions -- and words don't automatically mean actions.

Fix your own problems first.
Then, we can address my shortcomings in English. :)

I'll just pretend I never heard that! :mad:
I'll pretend I didn't chuckle at that. :)

Of course there are these tiny insignificant things called condoms. :rolleyes:
Their breaking ratio is somewhere between 1 and 5 percent.
The rest is statistics.

And I thought that whole "sex for breeding only" concept was gone, but apparently I was wrong.
Forget breeding. When making my statement, I was thinking more along lines of AI (which, should humanity survive, is almost certainly its future, since it's simply more efficient). In that future, breeding would be useless, and non-physical pleasures would beat clumsy physical ones. :)

Eficiency has got nothing to do with it whatsoever. :p
Efficiency has everything to do with it. Should you be offered two equally pleasant, equally interesting activities... one of them risky and messy, another safe and clean... which would you pick?

Should you be offered two equally pleasant, equally interesting activities... one of them risky and messy, another safe and clean... which would you pick?

Being human, most of the time, I'll pick the risky and messy. What you're overlooking is that it is often the risk that brings, or increases, the pleasure. If messiness mattered, people would always hang up their clothes before jumping in the sack. :D

"To my knowledge, Minbari refused to accept surrender only from military vessels. They are not mentioned to have destroyed any civilian colonies."

didn't the earth president mention several earth colonies lost contact with earth? Also when watching In The Beginning the fact that the minbari went after more than millitary targets looked very implied to me.

It is most definitely shown, when Londo talks about the escalation of the war, in that piece you quite clearly see civilians "weep, and pray, and say goodbye to thier loved ones, and then throw themeselves, without fear or hesitation at the very face of death itself, never surrendering"

The Minbari targeted civilians during the war, they were certainly out to exterminate humanity.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

They targetted civilians based on Delenn's words. "Follow them to their bases, and kill them, all of them! No mercy!" They were out for extermination, because they saw the humans as a dangerous species who attack without provocation.

Also, we're thinking of these alien races as working in similar ways to humanity. It was stated very clearly that humans think very differently, in that wherever we go, we form communities. The Minbari are one (or three, depending how you see it) people, so when they decide on something, they do it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back