• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lost (minor rants)

OK,

So yea, everyone bitches about how the show is in its third season, and all you get are more questions without anything being answered. I get that. I'm more concerned with some of the little things that may annoy you. Here is a big one for me:

Is anyone else sick of Sawyer and all his stupid f#$king nicknames he comes up with for EVERYBODY? Can we stop doing this?

First, there was Kate, he always called her "freckles." I guess Kate has some freckles on her face, so sure, yea, whatever, I guess it works. But now, EVERY SINGLE PERSON he bumps into he generates a nickname for --- and they rarely have any reason behind them. He called some woman "tinkerbell" (don't remember who, and I never figured out why). When they were putting the girls boyfriend into the boat in the last episode he picked him up and called him Cheech. Yea. That's right. Cheech. The kid was probably the whitest white kid I've ever seen. Looked like a total doorknob. Yet you call him CHEECH. Dude. What the fuck. And there are plenty more examples.

In some distant way this reminds me of Crichton in Farscape. He always had the nick names and pop-culture references...but they were always that. REFERENCES. You had to be clever to get the meaning, and he was clever for using them. For example, at one point Moya had some living plant surrounding it, and when they were swooping in from the outside, he said something about getting rid of Audrey --- reference to "Little Shop of Horrors" and the killer plant. Sawyer's seem mindless and based on nothing in particular.

Anyone else feel my pain here?

I have a feeling all of Sawyer's nicknames start out as ad-libs.

They don't really bother me, although I didn't get the "Cheech" one. I was actually expecting Sawyer to call him "Alex de Large." :)

I'm pretty much tired of Sawyer in every way possible.

Seconded. But then, can I be sick of him if I never liked him in the first place? :D

Though I've not payed much attention to the nicknames thing .. probably because, after my highschool days, I was used to it - I had a moronic classmate that *insisted* on inventing stupid nicknames for everyone .. and, after inventing them, tried to force everyone else in the class to use them, actually snapping at people using people's real names. His nicknames were infinitely more annoying than Sawyer's.

Locke is far and away the character i take most interest in (although now Desmond is catching my eye as well), and they only seem to focus on him in short bursts... to think they were originally going to "off" him in the first season.:rolleyes:

I actually like Sawyer. I couldn't really imagine the show without him. A polarizing character is always memorable, IMHO.

The one I cannot stand is Charlie. What a putz. So you can imagine my reaction when Desmond dropped his little "bomb" in this week's episode. ;)

To me, it just seemed like yet another boogedy-boogedy-we're-not-explaining-anything episode.

The Producers have indicated this episode will make more sense later on in the season, and that episode later on needed this episode laid out first. So, in a manner of speaking, this seems to be like Babylon Squared, and the next Desmond flashback would be War Without End. We'll see, but, I enjoyed ithe episode myself.

I haven't enjoyed Lost this much for some time - though I do hope the producers have a clue what they're doing.

You know, Sindatur, if I felt the producers actually had a history of paying off setups over the course of the show thus far, I might would trust that. Unfortunately, there've just been too many times when they've gone and advertised an episode as supposedly going to provide big answers that really didn't answer much of anything. So, I just don't trust them to fully follow through. I'm starting to feel tired of being strung along, honestly.

Did you all miss the scenes from next week where they say 3 of the biggest questions will be answered/explained?

Mind you, they made no mention of the 6 NEW questions they'll probably introduce. :)

It's funny how people question whether the producers have an endgame in mind for the show. One offhand remark from Lindelof in an interview and the world goes apeshit... "OMG THEY DON'T KNOW TEH ENDING!!1!"

I like brainstorming the possibilities. I'm a Babylon 5 "first one" watcher -- I have patience enough to wait for the answers.

I can't believe I didn't recognize Fionnula Flanagan. I blame it on how old she's gotten :eek:

It's funny how people question whether the producers have an endgame in mind for the show. One offhand remark from Lindelof in an interview and the world goes apeshit... "OMG THEY DON'T KNOW TEH ENDING!!1!"

LH: I gotta agree with Chilli here. I'd have more faith if they had done a better job thus far. They haven't. Plus, I look at some of JJ Abrams past work in Alias. He had a great story building in the first season or two, then totally dropped it, tried to revive it, eventually ended up wrapping it up --- but clearly not in a way he initially intended. In fact, it was done in a way that lead many, including myself, to believe that he never had an idea where he was going with it from the start (like Chris Carter in X-Files).

So their track record is great initial buildup to a story/mystery, and then poor execution delivering on it.

I'll see how this Desmond episode wraps up before I decide once and for all if I believe they can pull this show off or not. Next week's might be a good clue-in as well.

Minor complaint: Not me, VL :D .. though I feel much the same way.

While B5, at this point in its run, had me fully confident about the fact that they knew what they were doing (I think "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum" was the point where it became absolutely obvious), I can't say I feel that way about Lost. Or BSG. Or any TV show, doing the arc thing, since B5.

The Lost makers say they have some plan as to where they are going. I can't say I completely trust in that. Post-X-Files syndrome, I guess :p

That being said though, I thought the episode was, on its own, pretty damned fine.

Back