• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

hypatia

Regular
Hitchhiker\'s Guide to the Galaxy

Is there no Hitchhiker's thread around here?

O.K. so who is going to be the first to see it and tell us what you think? :D

Re: Hitchhiker\'s Guide to the Galaxy

Going to see it Tuesday.

In the meantime, it's barely rotten at Rotten Tomatoes, the consensus being that it's a decent adaptation, but if one isn't familiar with the source material, it may be confusing.

I'm curious though. With a site name like that, aren't most of their reviews negative? What is, for example, their "average" rating? I'd be suspicious that with a name like Rotten Tomatoes it would tend to attrack negative reviews most of the time.

Yeah, they collate reviews from major newspapers and similar sources. Anyway, Hitchhiker's only barely fails, a movie is declared "fresh" if 60% of their reviews are favourable, and Hitchhiker's has 59%.

Oh, ok thanks.

Well, I'll be seeing it in 3 weeks no matter what the critics say. :) Even a mediocre "Hitchhikers" is more motivating to me than anything else coming out in the near future.

Well I saw it yesterday...held off posting as I've been roasted here before for liking films others didn't like so much. :)

...and I liked HHGTTG too. :)

Not perfect, but very good...good acting, good script, genuinely funny...true to the spirit of the thing. Yes there are some small changes...but that's to be expected, it being an adaptation to a different medium.

I'd say that...if you're a fan of the books (or tv/radio show), and you're the kind of person that got uspet that Tom Bombadil wasn't in the LotR movies, then you should do yourself (and your cardiologist) a favour and skip it. :D

But I enjoyed it.

Also check out this link for a related Music Video. It's worth the wait... (took a looooong time to load.)

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20079

VB

Would you recommend reading the book before seeing the movie?

Movies simply can not be as good as the books they are based on because of the natures of the mediums so generally I would think no. However some seem to think you miss too much of what's going on in this flick if you haven't read the book. Since I never got around to reading this and the movie is in the would like to see but not desperate about it category I could hold off if reading the book would help.

I could only get part of the video to play, then it said it was "offline".

What I saw was pretty funny, though. Zaphod for president music videos. :laugh}

In this case, the actual characters and story are secondary to the humor, so expecting or demanding the book to translate directly is insane. All one can "hope" for is to capture the spirit as best as possible and be entertaining.

Salon.com review said that the film won't play as well to those who haven't read the book and that doesn't surprise me.

So, short answer: yes, read the book.

Dr G,

Ive also read that the Books are NOT the original end-all version of Hitch hikers, rather it was born a radio drama. From what I have read from die-hards, reading the books is NOT necessary to enjoy the film, and that is mainly due to the fluid and sometimes contradictory nature of the story itself.

Yes, the radio drama came first. I heard it long ago, before I was really old enough to appreciate it, and I have since read all the books. The consensus among my friends is that the radio drama comes first and foremost and everything else runs downhill from there.

Vonbloodbath, I'm with ya on liking movies everyone hates. I have a big ole long list of them. But ya know what? who cares? I'll never razz you for liking a movie. Come sit by me and we'll watch whatever we durn well please. :)

Actually Dr G, I'd say *don't* read the book first.

Unless you're planning on waiting a while to see it. They've obviously had to change little things; not a problem. But if you've just read the book before going to see it, you'll automatically make comparisons.

A friend did that with Fellowship of the Ring; hated it at first, felt really disappointed. Now he loves it (and the whole Trilogy) but when he saw the first movie in the cinema all he could see were the differences.

So I'd recommend not reading the book; you're most likely familiar with the basic concepts so you wont be lost (you're a B5 fan, I'm sure you're more than capable of keeping up with the plot... ;) ).

If I were you, I'd buy the book, read the back cover, then go see the film...then read the book. In my experience, doing it in that order is the best equation for enjoying both the movie and the book. :)

VB

There is no definitive version anyway..

The books diverge quite dramatically from the radio series, and Douglas Adams also wrote a computer game that diverged again.. He worked on the script for this film (which is excellent, btw), so presumably a lot of the changes originated from him anyhow. There's nothing at all sacreligious about it (quite the opposite, I think). And I found it massively entertaining.. :)

Lets not forget the all important text adventure, I know people who claim thats the ideal hitchikers.

Minor Spoilers below!

I heard the original radio show, and saw the BBC TV version, which I have on LD. I have never read the book. I finally saw the new movie today. I now want to rewatch the TV version, even though I've seen it several times.

The biggest difference that struck me is that in the new film, Zaphod is a bit of a dumb oaf, instead of being the quick-witted, sophisticated guy he was in the TV series. At times, Zaphod actually seems to be a parody of George Bush! He has a sort of put-on Texas accent, and jokes about having half a brain, necessary to be President, among other things. We don't get to see Milliway's, but they set of for it at the end. We don't get to see the galaxy's loudest rock band, either. Of course, running about 105m, they couldn't show everything they did in the TV series. The film looks very nice, is funny, and except for its depiction of Zaphod, in the spirit of the two other versions I have seen. It's worth checking out, even if my feelings are mixed on it.

Changes like that don't come about by accident. I expect in Zaphod's case they realised that he has such an extrovert and alpha-male personality that there was a real risk of him dominating the second half of the movie. Watch how Ford and especially Trillian sink into the background whenever he's on screen in the BBC version. Turning him into a gibbering idiot half way through was almost certainly a device to give the other characters more room to breathe.

I watched it... and I didn't hate it as much as Spider-Man, but it was rather crap. Childish, boring, plotless... eugh.

I loved the odd bit of quirkyness, but I just felt it wasn't enough to carry a movie. From the dreadful "romance" story, to something happening with a head, then a gun and I'm not sure what happened becuase they never followed up on it.

It was also way too "I'm funny". Because all this what I can only call "Earth humor" is applied to everything. Like answering machines at planets, it was also so very Earth when in fact it's an alien planet.

It felt tame too, like it didn't want to offend anyone. No teeth. And it seemed to have a delight in killing numerous animals.

On the whole: I liked it until the logo came up at the beginning of the film.

I haven't seen the movie yet as it only opens here in July, but read the first two books in the .. erm .. what was it, a trilogy in five parts? .. anyway, read the first two books just over the last weekend, so just wanted to address this comment:

We don't get to see Milliway's, but they set of for it at the end. We don't get to see the galaxy's loudest rock band, either.
Neither of those were in the book/story carrying the name Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - both are in the next book/story, Restaurant at the end of the Universe. So I assume that perhaps the aim of the movie was just to "cover" (as loosely as that might be, if there were many changes) the first story as it has appeared in print form, instead of taking the TV show (which I haven't seen) or the original radio show (which I haven't heard) as the "guideline"?

I wasn't mightily impressed with the book, or the story (not that there was much of a coherent story there...), but didn't mind it either, so I'm still planning to see the movie. Not with overly high expectations or anything, but not having high expectations usually helps in my experience. :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back