• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rewatch Value

I got such a kick out of him calling early Genesis "too artsy, too intellectual." In my younger days, I was involved in quite a bit of pointless arguments about the relative merits of Gabriel vs Collins era Genesises. Now that I'm older I realize they're both incredibly corny but fun as all get-out.

I like a track from We Can't Dance called "Driving the Last Spike". It's a bit artsy but itis in the Collins era.

It's all about the navvies and railroad workers who were exploited by the rich... risked life and limb and who often died, just to put bread on the table.

Having said that, there is something very transcendent about it. Something that makes it feela lot more universal to anyone who classes themself as an underdog:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SSQLQlq0h_k

* Galaxy Quest is an example of a movie that left me pretty neutral on first viewing ... that I liked a lot on second viewing, and LOVED on third viewing. Maybe I'm just slow.

YES! I forgot that one on my list, but it is definitely on it! I liked it first viewing but it gets better and better, and is just a fantastic movie. I can watch it over and over.

Which reminds me of another movie I can watch a million times: The Blues Brothers. Kind of no-brainer for me, given all the music references and cameos and performances.

Any film with Cab Calloway singing Minnie the Moocher is worth seeing, repeatedly. :D

B5 is still the only television show that I have been able to watch 2, 3, 4 (+) times through. Every few years, I start it up again. Sometimes, I skip certain eps (i.e. the fighting-match one) and other times I watch them straight through. Sometimes, I'll pick one season and watch it again--more to study (as weird as that sounds.)

Actually, let me take that back. I have Freaks and Geeks and I have watched that twice now and would watch it again. Funny as heck.

Star Wars: I love, but I have seen so many times I'll usually pass it over on television.

The Matrix I can watch over and over.

Donnie Darko. I keep watching this trying to find more "clues."

Anchorman. God. So. Funny.

I'm with peeps on Starship Troopers. The music kicks butt.

Independence Day. Good fun.

The Abyss. Absolutely.

Kill Bill. Never gets old. Same with Pulp Fiction.

Raising Arizona always cracks me up.

Last edited:
The mention of Raising Arizona reminds me of the Coen Bros' other comedy classic, The Big Lebowski. Eminently re-watchable.
I'll throw Fargo into that mix as well. I just pretty much love everything they do.

Alluveal listed a couple more that belong on my "can watch over and over list"

Independence Day (good fun, as you said)
The Abyss
The Matrix (the original only)
Pulp Fiction

And Galahad, "Driving the Last Spike" is my favorite song off "We Can't Dance." Always dug that tune. It is a lot like Domino in that it is a very long "epic" song that changes styles and tempo 2-3 times during the song.

Sorry to go off-topic, but have you Genesis fans ever heard that last album they did, without Phil Collins? Oof.

Three more movies I can watch over and over again are pretty obvious: the three great mob flicks: Godfather I,II and Goodfellas.

Which version of the Abyss do you guys prefer? I've got the special edition which has both the original and extended cut.

I love the enhanced subplot about the aliens motives... and why/how their opinion is changed. Makes the film... the visual tribute to 2001 is pretty cool too.

Goodfellas!!! Yes that is on the list too. Isn't it funny the type of movies that you can watch over and over tend to be ones you just cant think of off the top of your head, but when you stumble across them on TV channels you just stop and watch them? Yep, Goodfellas is one of those.

And that album without Phil Collins, yea, AWFUL. Who did they get as their lead singer for that one? WHO CARES! It was brutal. Their "single" Congo was just ..... terrible.

And that album without Phil Collins, yea, AWFUL. Who did they get as their lead singer for that one? WHO CARES! It was brutal. Their "single" Congo was just ..... terrible.

I believe it was the lead singer of the shortlived Stiltskin... one hit wonders with this track:

Stiltskin: Inside

... and that if you recall,was onlymade possible because of this commercial.

Ah those were the days... when all you had to do to secure a number one was soundtrack a Kevin Costner flick or advertise Levi jeans.

Levi did some pretty nifty adverts...but some of the music they spawned later on was pretty awful.

I hate the ending of The Abyss, both versions, though at least the director's cut makes a bit more logical sense.

Yea but the directors cut felt a little too "save the whales" ish for me. Although the effects of the super tidal wave was pretty cool. I mean, the ending was a good concept, but the dialog they had written for Ed Harris to say was just....bad and really ruined that ending.

I saw the director's version for the first time on television a few months ago. It really changed the dynamic of the movie, but I think it was wise to leave that out in the theatrical version. It would have felt too forced and over the top, imho. I personally didn't mind it. I thought it was an interesting alternative.

What's James Cameron up to these days anyway?

Back