• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5-TLT: Not excited yet

There's an element of "If I ran the zoo" going on here.

JMS flat out said that what he liked about B5 was the smaller, more personal B stories and short stories that took place within the overall structure of the show. Now, he wants to explore that a bit further.

According to JMS, WB said they would do whatever he wanted to do, and he wanted to do this. If it were us, we might have chosen something different, but it wasn't up to us, it was up to JMS (and rightly so).

He wanted to do this, WB gave him the money to do it and I, for one, am looking forward to seeing it.

Also, Big Theatrical Movie probably = Telepath War, and there were indications that Franklin and G'Kar were involved in that. Ergo, the Telepath War won't happen until JMS can figure out a way around the loss of two important characters.

According to JMS, WB said they would do whatever he wanted to do, and he wanted to do this. If it were us, we might have chosen something different, but it wasn't up to us, it was up to JMS (and rightly so).

Agreed. As Vacantlook noted, JMS isn't one to just stick to what he's done before. He likes to experiment with new things and new ways in order to challenge himself as a writer and to add new tools to his skills. I like that he's willing to take the risk.

Jan

Perhaps continuation of a series was completely out of the question and this (B5:TLT) is all he could get. Anybody have the link to the post where he talks about Warner Brothers asking him what he'd like to do in the Babylon 5 universe, and his response was what came to be B5:TLT?

Not necessarily. It could be edited down for broadcast, and available in unedited form on DVD.

Eh, a typical theatrical movie is 90 minutes to 100 minutes. So, if, as it sounds Galen is running around doing something with Shadow Tech, and he spends half the run time with Sheridan and half the run time with Lochley, it still feels like 1 movie to me, rather than half a movie and half a sequel. I honestly don't see a problem, personally.

So, if, as it sounds Galen is running around doing something with Shadow Tech, and he spends half the run time with Sheridan and half the run time with Lochley, it still feels like 1 movie to me, rather than half a movie and half a sequel. I honestly don't see a problem, personally.

Is he in both stories? I was thinking he was only in the Sheridan story, and that even there he might only appear briefly in a dream sequence rather than in the flesh. Aren't the two threads supposed to take place concurrently?

Is he in both stories? I was thinking he was only in the Sheridan story, and that even there he might only appear briefly in a dream sequence rather than in the flesh. Aren't the two threads supposed to take place concurrently?

I could be remembering wrong, but, I could swear I read he was appearing in both segments.

Regarding Galen's role, from JMS's December 1st message (contains SPOILERS):

http://www.babylon5scripts.com/TLT-JMS-Photos.html

One part of the story follows Sheridan as he picks up an unexpected visitor on the edge of Centauri space, Prince Regent Dius Vintari, and a warning about what will come afterward delivered by the techno-mage, Galen.

AFAIK, that's as much as we know about Galen's role in TLT, except that JMS also said:

Tonight there was a dinner with Doug, me, Tracy and Bruce, with Peter Woodward scheduled to fly in tomorrow so everybody's here for a couple of pivotal scenes that will cross the two segments.

"A couple of pivotal scenes that will cross the two segments" sounds like all three characters make at least a token appearance in both segments.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back