• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5-TLT: Not excited yet

B5-TLT: Not excited yet

How about now? ;)

[Image removed as per JMS's request that his private photos not be reposted elsewhere.]

All photos and captions copyright 2006 & 2007 Synthetic Worlds Ltd. and J. Michael Straczynski.

* Since these photos are from the private collection of J. Michael Straczynski, we kindly request that none of these photos be reproduced, downloaded or posted anywhere else, including non-commercial & fan websites. Thank you for understanding.

You can see the images here, on the website JMS has set-up to host them. - JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again...the site asks that the images *not* be posted anywhere, only linked to.

Jan

For the hell of it, the specific statement the website makes is:

Since these photos are from the private collection of J. Michael Straczynski, we kindly request that none of these photos be reproduced, downloaded or posted anywhere else, including non-commercial & fan websites. Thank you for understanding.

Not to split hairs VL, but:

Since these photos are from the private collection of J. Michael Straczynski, we kindly request that none of these photos be reproduced, downloaded or posted anywhere else, including non-commercial & fan websites. Thank you for understanding.

I would submit that the above statement applied to the "behind the scenes" photos posted there of JMS, the crew, and the actors.

Somehow there is nothing "private collection" about that CGI shot as it will be in the DVD. However it is the property of the studio I'd imagine, and maybe THEY have certain feelings about posting it somewhere.

Although, linking it on a B5 site to build hype can't be a bad application of it. :)

Of course I had already seen that image - and it doesn't get me excited either. Sure, It will be cool to see the station realized with 2007 CGI, but I don't want cool CGI. I want TLT to resolve some of the plot threads that were left hanging.

I've got to bring this up again: Does anyone else have a problem with the scale of the Minbari vs. the Centauri Cruiser? The Centauri cruiser is in front and literally dwarfed by the Sharlin. Is that scale right?

Originally Posted by TJGuitar85
I enjoyed Thirdspace and River of Souls well enough. I thought A Call To Arms and In The Beginning were fantastic, Thirdspace slightly above River of Souls, but I didn't think any of them were that bad.

:D Finally....., I'm so glad some people are standing up for Thirdspace. I still think it was a very well conceived story that opens up endless story possibilities. It sparked my imagination!!! Grant it, they do have simularities to the Shadows but these Thirdspace beings are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay MORE POWERFUL and ANTI-LIFE
IT SELF. Way cool enemy.... Still gives me the tingles.... It's exciting....... I want this to be fleshed out. :D

***Badapple how could you say Thirdspace is not what Babylon-5 is about? The Shadow war is just one story, (although a incredible one and I would love to see the B-4 'Shadow War' story in the past fleshed out); but there is so many other things to explore. The universe is vast.... Give JMS a chance.... Thanks.***

I liked Thirdspace. When it first aired it was so strange to see Season 4 Sheridan (and Ivanova) back again. The effects and the music were great, the story was mythic and fun, we even got to see the Vorlons again. It can't all be Tolstoy, you know. Aside from Belafonte (who we do NOT like, but seems exactly the type of woman JMS always casts) the only problem I had was with Duece wandering around the station three years after his felonious offenses in "Grail". The legal system has really gotten soft in 2260.

I would submit that the above statement applied to the "behind the scenes" photos posted there of JMS, the crew, and the actors.

Somehow there is nothing "private collection" about that CGI shot as it will be in the DVD....

Well, to set things straight, I contacted the B5 scripts team that runs the website from which the picture originates. Jaclyn confirmed for me that the B5 logo and the cgi ships pictures are indeed included in the website's request that the pictures from that page be not posted elsewere, only linked to. As of now, these two pictures are considered to be part of jms's private collection.

So, as to respect the requests of the B5 scripts website and jms himself, the pictures cannot be posted, only linked to from the B5 scripts website.

Aside from Belafonte (who we do NOT like, but seems exactly the type of woman JMS always casts) ...

I actually quite liked Shari Belafonte, although there were a few moments in her performance that made me wince a little. However, more to the point, one of the script books has a nice little aside from JMS about the fact that he seems to cast exactly the same woman over and over again for the various female roles in the show.

Can't remember which book it was though.

I actually quite liked Shari Belafonte, although there were a few moments in her performance that made me wince a little. However, more to the point, one of the script books has a nice little aside from JMS about the fact that he seems to cast exactly the same woman over and over again for the various female roles in the show.

Can't remember which book it was though.

They tend to have strong masculine qualities to them.

In fact, both Claudia and Julie Caitlin Brown have played post-op transsexuals in the years after B5. Julie on "Becker" and Claudia, I think, on "Law and Order". Strange, huh?

I've got to bring this up again: Does anyone else have a problem with the scale of the Minbari vs. the Centauri Cruiser?

Of course.

The Centauri cruiser is in front and literally dwarfed by the Sharlin. Is that scale right?

The scale's wrong. We've been discussing it in this thread.
http://forums.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=9735

The Primus can't be between the camera and the Sharlin, and be that small with respect to the Sharlin. Looks like a mistake in Photoshop, not a frame from a CGI scene.

[Image removed as per JMS's request that his private photos not be reposted elsewhere.]

You can see the images here, on the website JMS has set-up to host them. - JD
Brain fart on my part there. I had even made note of the disclaimer a few weeks ago but it never crossed my mind at 12AM this morning. :)

I had even boosted the contrast a little bit and bumped the color up so it didn't look so flat. Oh well, makes a fine addition to my B5 pics folder all the same.

I had even boosted the contrast a little bit and bumped the color up so it didn't look so flat. Oh well, makes a fine addition to my B5 pics folder all the same.

I must admit your version did look better. It hurt to have to delete the link. But not as much as ticking JMS off would have hurt, so there you are. :)

Regards,

Joe

I did some tinkering myself with that image in iPhoto, but it did not look as good as yours. Hopefully it will be more along those lines...

you know, I actually liked some of the 8 Crusade episodes after TNT's interference. And I *LOATHED* one of the original 5 grey uniform episodes (Visitors From Down The Street).

Yeah, that was pretty much my first reaction to it. I hate the alien head prosthetics' tendril quivering action, which reminds me of rubber fishing worms, and makes it look like a cheap Halloween contume, to me. That acted as a distraction and tended to take me out of the scene. In contrast, the action of latex (e.g. D'Argo in Farscape), is much better, IMHO. It looks less jiggly, less silly.

I also disliked all the blatant references to The X-Files. It just seemed too fannish and over the top. However, storywise, it worked, and I thought the dialogue was excellent. Got a lot of great quotes out of that one. Now, the only thing I can't stand about it are the alien head prosthetics' tendril action.

Of the black uniform episodes. the episode with the other technomage (Alwyn?) and The Well of Forever I thought were pretty good.

Thje Crusade episode with Alwyn is The Long Road.

To get back on topic, I do like that Galen is being utilized in The Lost Tales cause he was mostly a Crusade character, aside from ACTA.

I, too, am happy to see Galen/Peter Woodward back. Hope they can get the other Crusade cast members for future episodes.

Well, I liked the story idea/plot of Thirdspace. I just thought Shari Belafonte's portrayal of Trent and her acting in general was really bad. and it kind of brought down the film for me. I don't really know why I feel that way, maybe I should watch it again. :-D

I don't know if it was Shari Belafonte's acting, or the character, but that character just didn't seem real to me. She seemed to pull down every scene she was in, and the fight scene with Ivanova was awful, a badly acted fight, looked FAKE. Come to think of it, Babylonian doesn't seem to do well with most of it's fight scenes. The best B5 fight scene was, IMHO, the stylistic takedown of Sheridan in The Face of the Enemy, and maybe the scenes in TKO. In Crusade, it was when Capt. Gideon knocked out Ensign James, probably due mostly to the proficiency of Gary Cole.

In Crusade, I remember some awful fight scenes that looked extremely fake:

1. The first fight scene in War Zone, with Matheson, on the upper floor. Talk about pulled punches! Sheesh!

2. When Mr. Welles strikes Greenberg's spacesuited body with the fakest looking wrench I've ever seen, obviously missing Greenberg by a mile.

I hate the alien head prosthetics' tendril quivering action, which reminds me of rubber fishing worms, and makes it look like a cheap Halloween contume, to me.

I also disliked all the blatant references to The X-Files. It just seemed too fannish and over the top. However, storywise, it worked, and I thought the dialogue was excellent. Got a lot of great quotes out of that one. Now, the only thing I can't stand about it are the alien head prosthetics' tendril action.

Love it, or hate it, IMO, that ep's main reason for existing was to satirize X-Files, and the phoney looking prosthetics were part of the rub.

I must admit your version did look better. It hurt to have to delete the link. But not as much as ticking JMS off would have hurt, so there you are. :)

Regards,

Joe

Hmm, I think he boosted the contrast too much and as a result lost a lot of shadow detail. Instead, I ran it through a Photoshop Sharp Mask and adjusted it via Auto Levels, and got something that looks better than both, but I can't share with anybody here. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I liked Thirdspace. When it first aired it was so strange to see Season 4 Sheridan (and Ivanova) back again. The effects and the music were great, the story was mythic and fun, we even got to see the Vorlons again. It can't all be Tolstoy, you know. Aside from Belafonte (who we do NOT like, but seems exactly the type of woman JMS always casts) the only problem I had was with Duece wandering around the station three years after his felonious offenses in "Grail". The legal system has really gotten soft in 2260.
:D Love your comments about Thirdspace. :D:beer:
As for Shari: I myself, (unlike my wife), am somewhat impartial towards Shari Belefonte's roll (I nether hated it nor am doing triple flips over it).

***Okay now you've got me curious I totally have to check that movie out again and see if I can spot Duece. What point on the dvd does he appear at? :eek: *** Wait a minute....
now that I think about it I think I do remember seeing him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back