• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

All things Star Wars & the new up and coming TV show official chat thread

What Star Wars movie did you like the most?

• Phantom Menace

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Attack Of The Clones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revenge Of The Sith

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A new Hope

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Return Of The Jedi

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: ALL THINGS STAR WARS & THE NEW UP AND COMING TV SHOW OFFICIAL CHAT THREAD

Anakin was simply not convincing. Tell me: why did Vader go bad? Was it because of his mother? Because of some bad dream about his wife? Because the Jedi Order didn't allow said marriage? Because he was power-hungry? The correct answer is e) all of the above... never mind that this rather destroys the dramatic unity of his tragic-hero arc. It's like Lucas just couldn't decide why Anakin went bad and decided to give him half a dozen reasons to just to be sure.

If several causes of Vader going bad exist, which is realistic, then each should turn him a little eviller each time. He resists at first but eventually turns.

Galahad said:
Ah but none of them had the spoons to make the proposition... they were followers. Jar Jar realised something uncomfortable was being asked because of the silence and instead of having the comon sense to either publicly question/resist it, or just keep his trap shut like the other sheep... he played right into Palpatine's hands.

Pretty nearly everyone played into Palpatine's hands in the prequels. He knew just the right way to say things to manipulate people up oneside and down the other. That does mean Jar Jar is solely responsible for the creation of the Empire, it just means he was played like everyone else in the Senate, and as such the whole Senate is responsible for the Empire's creation.

KoshFan said:
Anakin was simply not convincing. Tell me: why did Vader go bad? Was it because of his mother? Because of some bad dream about his wife? Because the Jedi Order didn't allow said marriage? Because he was power-hungry? The correct answer is e) all of the above... never mind that this rather destroys the dramatic unity of his tragic-hero arc. It's like Lucas just couldn't decide why Anakin went bad and decided to give him half a dozen reasons to just to be sure.

Anakin went bad because he's inability to accept impermanence. Note what Anakin tells his mother when he leaves Tatooine in Phantom Menace: "I don't want things to change!" And impermanence particularly manifested for him in the death of people he cared about. He thought he was supposed to be able to stop death thanks to everyone having gone around most his life telling him he was some greatest Jedi ever.

Palpatine gets not just the Clonetroopers but the whole Republic to turn on the Jedi, due to Jedi arrogance.

Well, the whole Republic would never turn as there'd always be someone who'd stay on the side of the Jedi if even they're rellagated to fear of speaking out. But, Palpatine does get the Republic to turn on the Jedi when he's in the Senate, who's representative of the Republic as we can't literally be shown thousands of star systems turning against the Jedi, telling them about how the Jedi "attempted to assassinate" him and left him scared, and right after that he calls for the reorganization of the Republic into the Empire, which the Senate applauds. The Clonetroopers turn on the Jedi because of the psychological programming they received thanks to the Kaminoans when they made them, the Senate's turn against the Jedi occurs because of Palpatine's manipulations. It's there, it just doesn't hit you over the head.

Also, the fight scenes got to be over the top. The beasts in the Arena were only useful for getting Natalie Portman's shirt ripped. Yoda doing the drunken-master saber battle was flashy, but the impressive thing about Yoda was always how small and inactive he was. What he should have done was just used the Force to take Dooku's saber away from him (oh, and don't get me started on Lucas's naming conventions... I mean, the right hand of Palpatine is named Dooku?). They could have made it work if they'd shown some character development in Yoda -- realizing that battles and war won't fix anything -- but as it is, he gets his ass whupped and then we next see him living in a swamp saying "Wars not make one great." He looks like a coward now, sending Luke out to do the fighting.

I don't know, what's a matter with over the top I liked the epic proportions of the battle scale. :)

Actually it was evident from the force power struggle that that was not possible for Yoda to do against Darth Tyranus. A lightsaber battle had to be.

I do agree the Dooku name would not have been the name I would have chose. Drakonus is kind of a cool name... But oh well....

Okay now that statement is just blatantly not accurate at all. Yoda did not get his #%* whooped. If you go back and look at the battle more closely first Palpatine force lighntings Yoda into the wall. But then Yoda had Palpatine easily defeated after the huge force push (but instead he chose to talk him to death and Palpatine escaped upward). Score Yoda 1 Papatine 1....
The duel continued to ensue now with it being rather Palpatine being aggressive (hurling platforms). But then Yoda counters (Hurls them back & then leap frogs back up to counter attack)and then the score is 2 Yoda 2 Palpatine.
Then the dramatic force lightning attack by Palpatine. Yoda uses force protect and builds up a static ball of force lightning called FORCE DESTRUCTION. He prepares to hurl it back. He succeeds to get it half way towards Darth Sidious but Sidious force lightnings it right back into the middle... Trapped in the middle there is a power surge over load of force energy and tha force destruction plasma ball explodes.

That was not a victory for eather side it was a draw. The only reason why Yoda appears to be the one who failed is because when the explosion happened he wasn't able to hang on but Palpatine had a little luck on his side and did. That wasn't a victory he won by default. IT CERTAINLY WASN'T A #%* KICKING.

I can't vote in the poll, because my favorite Star Wars movie is not on the list. It was called Star Wars, definitely NOT "A New Hope." :(

This comment got me a little worried:
I am very pleased to see another large "ok huge" Lego set catered to adult Lego and Starwars fans

****Shudders**** to think.

It's not ultimate anyway, I won't fit in it and it won't make .5 past light speed. Nor would it enhance my pulling power.

This comment got me a little worried:

****Shudders**** to think.

It's not ultimate anyway, I won't fit in it and it won't make .5 past light speed. Nor would it enhance my pulling power.

You've clearly never met any 'adult fans of lego'.

They have their own user (or is that support?) group and journal...

http://www.lugnet.com/~1495/brickjournal

And they tend to build big big models that no child could afford to make. I know one chap ( a friends partner) who has spent over £20,000 on lego in the last 10 years.

As hobbies go, its still less harmless than shooting things.

One edition of Monty Python and The Holy Grail on DVD has an extra which basically consists of the "Knights Of The Round Table" song animated using lego.

Bust a gut funny ... and the only part of the DVD that we allow the kids to watch.

:D X-Box Star Wars lego and X-Box 360 Star Wars lego II 'The original Trilogy" RULES!!! :D

:devil:I love X-Box's EPISODE III multiplayer battle arena verses mode. :devil:

Back