• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Big news from JMS by late June or so

If it's true, then yes, that would be painfully ironic. :(

You know, I hate to admit it but a lot of my interest would wane for that same reason. I'd still be interested in seeing how the telepath war ended, how Lennier redeems himself, etc.

But B5 original cast without G'kar... it really just wouldn't be the same.

The Teep War could easily be shot without G'Kar, but would (will?) be more affected by Franklins demise. Alas filming the "Centari" trilogy and the Drakh storyline is implausable now with the loss of Andreas, contuining the story/universe after the events in the trilogy is completely doable, G'Kar and Londo are both dead, Sheridan is soon to be gone, and Delenn will be going into seclusion. And though it wont do Andreas any good, it might help his family to use outakes and existing footage to memorialize G'Kar, and with Vir as the Emporer, flashbacks with Londo would be a natural.

Not implausible; impossible. JMS has said that no one will fill Andreas's - or Rick's - shoes. As for the Telepath War, there's nothing I wanted to see on the big screen more than that story - but doesn't the Telepath War start at the end of G'Kar and Lyta's travels? So, while it wouldn't be impossible to do a Teep War film without Andreas (it could start after they part ways), I think there'd be a huge implied absence there that most fans would feel quite keenly.

Of course, whatever this new project is, I'm sure I'll watch it, but honestly, it's just really hard to get excited about it under the circumstances. I'm leaning towards the position I've heard some fans express: that they're happy with the B5 universe as is, that it was this perfect gem that existed for five years...and that they don't really want any more (in my case, original-cast) B5.

I'd certainly watch a B5 original cast movie. I'm just not sure I'd go to the theater for it, but wait for the DVD. :eek:

Nah, I'm sure I'd give in, if it had any chance of being good. It's really too bad no spin-off series ever quite happened.

After Crusade and Rangers, I've given up hope for that.

May I be wrong. :)

[Alright, so I guess I haven't given up ALL hope. :p]

As for the Telepath War, there's nothing I wanted to see on the big screen more than that story - but doesn't the Telepath War start at the end of G'Kar and Lyta's travels? So, while it wouldn't be impossible to do a Teep War film without Andreas (it could start after they part ways), I think there'd be a huge implied absence there that most fans would feel quite keenly.

Yes, I think it was mentioned that it starts at the end of Lyta and GKar's travels, but no one ever said that GKar was a critical part of EARTH's Telepath War --- only Lyta. So why couldn't this be done? I think the Telepath story could easily be told without GKar and Franklin. Neither were likely large, critical parts of that story. I'd argue though it would be tough to tell without Lyta and Bester.

Not that I think we are going to ever see this on tbe big screen, I'm just arguing the logic that Andreas and Biggs passing on wouldn't be a stop-gap here.

Personally Ive always said it, I wouldnt mind a book series to tell the Telepath War or Crusade. As long as they get told...

So why couldn't this be done?

Weeeelllll, I don't know, because I didn't say that it couldn't. What I said was that it could be done, but that the absence of G'Kar would be obvious and quite keenly felt.

Not for a story he might not have been a part of.

I mean yes, all B5 fans will watch something B5 and give a collective "awwwwwwwww" when he isn't on the screen. But practically speaking, if GKar flat out wasn't a part of the telepath war, will the character be missed? I have a feeling there will be enough going on during that part that it wouldn't come up.

Recoil: in terms of the story and plot, you are correct.

But count the number of B5 fans who admit that Andreas was their favorite part. And you'll see the complication, not from a plot-level, but from a fan-base-emotional level.

Not for a story he might not have been a part of.

(SCENE: cockpit of small fighter ship; LYTA ALEXANDER and UNNAMED TELEPATH #1 are rushing to the scene of the big battle.)

LYTA: How long until we arrive?

TEEP #1: About three standard hours. So, Lyta, you sure came back suddenly when no one had seen you for several years. What have you been up to for all this time?

LYTA: Oh, you know, just knocking around the universe. With no one in particular...

:p

Again, I realize G'Kar isn't strictly necessary to the telling of this story, but considering it's Lyta's return from her travels with G'Kar that leads directly into the Telepath War, I also don't think that his presence, absent though it might be, can possibly go totally unremarked in the story -- or totally unnoticed in the hearts of the fans.

Perhaps it would be nice to have a comment from Lyta to quasi-correspond to G'Kar's comment in Rangers about his travels "with a friend,... she's gone now"? (Of course, G'Kar's not gone in the timeline of the story, thus the "quasi-correspond"ing part.)

Oh, how I hate the man sometimes. :) Exhibit A: This exchange from the moderated newsgroup -

>> And there will be a next B5 project, the cat outside on my porch promised me. I typed that out loud, didn't I?

Nuke <<

Obviously your cat has seen an advance copy of my talk this weekend at SDCC...

jms

Bastard

One might think he actually enjoys stringing the fans along. :rolleyes:

Well, I believe Jan has said she will transcribe his talk. Thanks Jan!

An acquaintance from my job is going as well. I'm sure he'll at least tell me the pertinent points of JMS' talk.

I posted the same info in a B5 thread at the Home Theater Forum and this was the first reply I got:

So can we read into that statement by JMS that this is something B5 related?

JMS: "I'm going to announce a new project at SDCC"

Fan: "My cat says there's going to be a new B5 project"

JMS: "Your cat must know what I'm going to say at SDCC"

As G'Kar might say, "Which part of this progression escapes you?" :)

People are so used to JMS being obscure that even when he says something quite unambiguous they still think he's speaking in code. :D

Regards,

Joe

This is very exciting, indeed. I also like the fact that the meeting with WB may be a big factor in the deal. As we've seen in the past: WB + JMS = B5. As honorable as the producers of TMoS' intentions may have been, it just never really had a chance.

BTW, a look at the Comic Con schedule suggests that the announcement will probably be made during the "Spotlight On: J. Michael Straczynski" event, which starts at 5 PM (Pacific Time) on Saturday.

Regards,

Joe

I refuse to get my hopes up! and refuse to be happy until JMS says they are DONE with the talking stage and are starting filming/writing novels. :p

He already said at the Charlotte con that it's *not* novels.

Oh, so that's the hint he didn't want anyone who was at Charlotte to repeat. I've been wondering. :)

Nope, there's one other snippet that's the part we weren't to repeat. :p And a comic item.

And it's *almost* Saturday, almost....

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back