• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Londo's wife?

hypatia

Regular
Londo\'s wife?

I just saw the episode where Londo is granted the right to divorce two of his three wives.

Suddenly I began to wonder, where did Londo's wife go? He was supposed to keep one for 'ceremonial occasions'. So, where was she by the time he became emperor? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

Re: Londo\'s wife?

We aren't told in the series. Perhaps in one of the books? I don't know. I do recall that she was very outspoken, and wouldn't have been inclined to go along with the Drakh, and was sharp enough to have detected them. So my guess is that they would have eliminated her, as she probably wasn't important enough to them to give her a keeper.

She would have bitten the head off of her "keeper"! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

I loved that character. And the actress who played her did a fantastic job. Actually, all of the wives were well played.

Anyhow, I'd prefer to think that Londo quietly divorced her, too, after time. She was just too perfect a balance for Londo, wasn't she? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Ah, dear Timov. (Which is "vomit" spelled backwards in case you didn't realize it. Peter David has a warped sense of humor.) You'll have to read the Centauri books to get the low-down on Timov. The whole thing is rather sweet, in its way, and she's as feisty as ever.

Regards,

Joe

LOL! She would have for sure. I wish Joe would give us a hint as to her fate, since I'm not likely to read the books.

I suppose you could say the hints - and more - have been given. In the books. If JMS wrote dozens of pages of outline for the trilogies, as I've understood he did, I suppose he pretty much said it all there. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

And yes, there was quite a bit about Timov in the Centauri trilogy (which was a great read, by the way, well worth giving a try as long as you expect entertainment instead of high literature), as well as Mariel. No Daggair though, unless I'm mistaken.

This is very ironic. Guess what trilogy I just started reading? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

In about a week I'll have time to do some real reading agian.

So I'll just have to wait and see to get the answer to my questions.

Thanks.

Yeah, we don't see much or hear much about Timov and the others after Londo divorces them. I don't think either of the three truly loved him, so it wasn't like they wanted to be with him when he came back to Centauri Prime to visit or whatever. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif My guess is that they pretty much lived their lives without him.

And as Kribu pointed out, we do see much of Mariel and Timov in the Centauri trilogy, but none of Daggair. Both Timov and Mariel are involved a good deal in the storyline of the 3 books, so we get to see exactly what happens to Mariel, and are given enough information to get a good idea what happens to Timov as well.

I would disagree with you RW as far as Timov is concerned. I think it is rather apparent that she did love Londo and in some ways vice versa. As far as why we don't see her, think of why Londo kept Vir away from Centauri Prime after he becomes emperor.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I wish Joe would give us a hint as to her fate, since I'm not likely to read the books.<hr></blockquote>

Shame on you! Read the books! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

OK, since you asked: (And my memory on this may be a bit fuzzy since it's been awhile since I've read them. I'm sure KoshN will be by with his annotated copy to correct any errors in the following):

<font class="small">Spoiler:</font>
<table bgcolor="#000000" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="0"><tr bgcolor="#000000"><td bgcolor="#000000" id="spoiler"><font color="#000000">Timov remains the Emperor's honored wife, albeit living off planet. Later in his reign Londo does bring her to CP - he's lonely, and surrounded by people he cannot trust. Since he knows exactly what Timov thinks of him, and knows she won't bother to conceal it, he can trust her. She spends some time in the palace, and there is a certain affection between them. But Londo finally sends her away for her own protection, much as he did with Vir, earlier. She might learn too much, and she is someone his enemies can attack him through. He makes a great show of being angry to get rid of her, thus ensuring her safety. We learn through Vir's contiuation of Londo's history that Timov died on the very day - some say at the very moment - of Londo's death.</font></td></tr></table>

Regards,

Joe

Thanks, Joe. Sounds like what Londo would do. I was only right about her being in danger from the Drakh, and probably that her sharpness would lead to that possible danger.

<font class="small">Spoiler:</font>
<table bgcolor="#000000" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="0"><tr bgcolor="#000000"><td bgcolor="#000000" id="spoiler"><font color="#000000">It was Senna, not Londo, that sent for Timov to come to the palace. (I believe, my mind is ever so frelled up) But the reasons are all the same though. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif</font></td></tr></table>

BTW: Go read the books, they are all very good. Technomage ones too. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Actually, I did like "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" and I loved the Psy-corps trilogy.

I did not like the technomage trilogy, however. In fact, by the end of book 3 I was just scanning it to pick up the major bits so I could consider myself finished with the trilogy.

I think the author ran out of ideas a long time before the end of book 3.

Anyhow, I am liking what I have read so far in the Centauri trilogy. I can't wait until I have some decent time to dedicate to it for a week or two.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Actually, I did like "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" and I loved the Psy-corps trilogy.

I did not like the technomage trilogy, however.<hr></blockquote>

Well, there's no accounting for taste. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I found the Psi Corps books pedestrian and skimmed through much of the first two volumes, but thought the Technomage books the best-written of the three and read them all very quickly. To Dream has a good story, and lots of wonderful background information, but isn't that good a novel in my humble opinion.

But if we all agreed on everything, it would be a pretty dull world. (Of course, in certain parts of the world they've carried this idea way too far. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif)

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Well, there's no accounting for taste. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif<hr></blockquote>
Joe, I’ve always gotten a chuckle over your amazing sense of condescension. I don’t believe I have ever criticized anyone for their taste in literature or entertainment. I will admit when I don’t like something, and even when I can’t see why someone does or does not like something.

I guess it’s just coming at things from a different angle in life. Individual tastes vary from individual to individual. I believe that there is no “superior” or “inferior” in entertainment, just what does or does not please you.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Joe, I’ve always gotten a chuckle over your amazing sense of condescension.<hr></blockquote>

And I'm chuckling now at your total lack of a sense of humor or ability to recognize a joke (or a smiley face) at 50 paces. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

For the humor-impaired, here's an analysis of the post

1) Tongue-in-cheek jab at opinion expressed. (Lack of serious intent indicated by /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif)

2) Expression of contrasting opinion.

3) Comment on how tastes differ and how this is a good thing.

Geez, lighten up.

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
<font color=yellow>1) Tongue-in-cheek jab at opinion expressed. (Lack of serious intent indicated by /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif)</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
BTW, I'm with Hypatia in this - a /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif would never indicate a joke to me, which is why I've always considered /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif or /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif a more proper smiley to be used when I want to show that I'm not entirely serious. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Or even a /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Well Im with Joe on this Kribu so /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif . I knew he was joking. Its pretty freakin obvious, especially how he ends the post saying that not everyone can have the same opinion. Additionally how many times has the phrase "well theres no accounting for taste" been used to reflect a tongue-in-cheek jab at something? Ive heard it a dozen times. Its a fairly common line and I dont think Ive heard it said once in a context other than joking around.

Oh, I agree about it being obvious that it was a joke - I was merely commenting on using the /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif to indicate a joke - it has never been the first association for that particular kind of smiley for me. I suppose that's my problem, but it seems others may also suffer from a similar problem.

*shrugs*

And by the way, I have seen "there's no accounting for taste" used not just jokingly, but also fairly sarcastically and not "nicely" at all, so it is used in that sense sometimes. Whether it's the correct usage or not, I couldn't say, I'm just saying that I have seen it used as a clearly intended insult as well.

Back