• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What exactly counts as "news"?

hypatia

Regular
I was just wondering, why do all of the threads involving space and the like end up getting moved to the "General" thread? It says it's for informal chat and exchanging links and such.

So why is science news being moved there? It seems to be the only news that is moved to the "General" thread, that I've noticed, but are there other news topics that are being pushed over there as well, that I haven't noticed?

I imagine because space is an interesting matter that is good for a more general audience of sci-fi fans, and generally isn't a hot topic that would cause much debate.

So sports news, entertainment news, news about space and technology, they all belong in the "General" section.

Only controversial subjects go into the "News,..." section.

Got it. The title "probe visits Mercury" goes into "General". The title "the sadly underfunded NASA sends probe to Mercury" goes into "News". :)

It is a good question. Frankly, news is news, but many people don't go into that forum because there are times when rants overtake news. I think it is up to the poster if a general news item will go to General or News, depending on the subject.

Your last post is a good benchmark, though. If it is a more chatty news item...General is fine.

Back