• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The composer

Lenonn

Who should compose the music on Rangers? This has been argued vehemently over on at the forums at http://www.firstones.com

One person suggested Jan Hammer as an alternative if Christopher Franke cannot do the music. I jokingly added Alex Lifeson. Anyone else?

------------------
We say atoms are bound by
weak attractors.

Why not admit the truth:
The universe is held together by love.

Michio von Kerr,
Wayist physicist,
CY 9942

I can see the logic in going for someone different... i.e. like they did with Crusade. But Christopher Franke... I want him to do the music! I can't help it, I just love his stuff.

------------------
Star_TrekMISC261580.jpg
<font size="-2" color="silver">"The Babylon Project was our last, best, hope for peace.
A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral
territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter
of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space,
all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of
mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is
the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is
2259: the name of the place is Babylon 5."

I also want Franke. I didn't hate Chen's music (I can like odd stuff), but it didn't quite work for Crusade.

Tammy

------------------

I've thought about this before.
What if they both did the music? It would be odd and fimilar at the same time!
After watching the Crusade epsiodes a few times (ok, 5 or 6 times each
smile.gif
) I really came to like Chens music. So if the music was a mix between his and Frankes, that would be quite interesting!

------------------
"I think you're about to go where everyone has gone before" Susan Ivonova in Voices of Authority

I don't know who it *should* be, but my call would actually be *neither* Chen nor Franke. Not because I don't like them - I do. I thought Franke did some superb music for B5, and Chen the same for Crusade. B5LR, though, surely needs its own "feel", and should have a different composer.

Hmmm - if I had to pick "someone" out of the air, how about Stewart Copeland, who did the theme music for "The Equalizer" (I've always liked that one
smile.gif
).

Rgds,
Techno

------------------

Franke! Franke!! Oh man, does that guy have some talent! I just love listening to the B5 cds that he did...I can't say anything about the rest of his music, though.

It probably won't help any, but if you want to see Franke, you could try e-mailing him at babylon@sonicimages.com (if that even still works). His website is: sonicimages.com

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
the Music I never really remeber the music after i watch shows it's like i don't even hear it weird.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me it's subtle, you get used to a style. Plus it raises the dramatic nature without you knowing it. In B5, I wouldn't say "Oh ther'e some Christopher Franke music playing just there", but I would notice when it was gone. Like when I watched The Gathering, yuck. Then "A Call to Arms", the music was one of the reasons I didn't like it and consider it to be the worst telemovie.

------------------
Star_TrekMISC261580.jpg
<font size="-2" color="silver">"The Babylon Project was our last, best, hope for peace.
A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral
territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter
of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space,
all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of
mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is
the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is
2259: the name of the place is Babylon 5."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
To me it's subtle, you get used to a style. Plus it raises the dramatic nature without you knowing it. In B5, I wouldn't say "Oh ther'e some Christopher Franke music playing just there", but I would notice when it was gone. Like when I watched The Gathering, yuck. Then "A Call to Arms", the music was one of the reasons I didn't like it and consider it to be the worst telemovie.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah true about the subtly of some music.

I find that I really notice bad music when it just gets in teh way.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

It has to be Franke...his music helped make some of the best scenes in B5 memorable. Simply listening to his CDs brings the images back. Think of the music from the Battle of the Line or the music from when the Shadows destroyed the Narn fleet...

Chen's music was ok, but it didn't have that dramatic impact that Franke's did. Knowing JMS though he would proberly give another composer a chance for the same reasons that he switched to Chen, to give the new serious a different "feel".

------------------

As is also true with special effects, the score you *don't* notice is often the best. Even the Gladiator score by Hans Zimmer, which is brilliant in its own right doesn't overpower the action on the screen. That's one of the problems I had with Chen, his scores often interefered with the scene too much for my tastes. Franke's scores are much more subdued by comparison.

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

That's right. I remember when I was at the theater watching U571, and the were having a view of the submarine, flying around it when it was above water. This scene went for about 20 seconds, and my mum leaned over and said "This part would be boring without the music", which was quite true!

So every time after that when I watch a program, I listen into the music and how much work has gone into it, and is not usually given much credit. If Chen had been given more of a chance, I'm sure his music would have become a legend just like Franke's
smile.gif

------------------
"I think you're about to go where everyone has gone before" Susan Ivonova in Voices of Authority

Well, i loved Franke's work on B5, i just cant imagine some episodes like Severed Dreams or Sleeping in Light, having half as much impact without him.
People make the point of saying that a new series needs a new feel but with Babylon 5 unlike Star Trek, each season changed quite a lot in tone becoming a lot more militaristic towards the end.
In a perfect world where you could get any composer, my personal choice would be craig armstrong, because i just think that his musical range is considerabe and would be able to represent many different aspects of the show.
BUT that aint gonna happen.
I just hope that the correct range is there as it was with Franke to reflect the change of plot.

------------------
Tho' we are not now that strength that in old days forged earth and heaven, that which we are we are. One equal temper or heroic hearts made weak by time and fate, yet strong in will, to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
the Music I never really remeber the music after i watch shows it's like i don't even hear it weird.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Music is what makes it work so well .. try watching a B5 ep u don't remember by heart on mute -- something from S4 for example ... just doesn't work!

------------------
"I don't watch TV. It's a cultural wasteland full of inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media league."
- Guard outside Sheridans cell in "Between Darkness & Light"

The music should depend on the overall "feel" of the series. Crusade, in many areas, was different from B5, and deserved different types of music (not necessarily Chen). But overall Franke is much better.

But just because someone's good in one series, doesn't mean he/she will fit well in another.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up.
Ivanova: In that case we're all going to die slow, agonizing deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
I also want Franke. I didn't hate Chen's music (I can like odd stuff), but it didn't quite work for Crusade.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Likewise Tammy. Each have their own 'flavor'. Each are very good musically. But as in the other posts the soundtrack is a major part of any movie (just imagine Halloween or (the original) Psycho without thier dramatic stings - Boring.)

'Down-Under', we have these shows always late at night. Personally there is no way I could fall asleep while B5 was on but was out cold 10 minutes into Crusade every week (I should've taped them, I know :{ ).

So for my money, either composer or another would be fine, so long as they made the STrack with the same strength and gusto as B5.

That was my 2 cents, now to the weather...

------------------
IHHBHG
WhiteStar12

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Airad:
Music is what makes it work so well .. try watching a B5 ep u don't remember by heart on mute -- something from S4 for example ... just doesn't work!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I did watch some Babylon 5 battles and stuff without music. I mean when I watch it with music it feel more tension or other emotion and the music seems to fiddle with my emotions while the scene is going but after it stops it's like i forget the music but Still gives a greater impact then without the music.

Maybe I don't make scense.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Originally posted by WhiteStar12:
'Down-Under', we have these shows always late at night. Personally there is no way I could fall asleep while B5 was on but was out cold 10 minutes into Crusade every week (I should've taped them, I know :{ ).

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that dozed of in Crusade...and like you there was *no* way I would ever fall asleep in B5.

------------------
"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free."
-- G'Kar in Babylon 5:"The Long, Twilight Struggle"

Stewart Copeland
smile.gif

Lol he actually did The Gatherings music.
Well I think they should get a new one, it is a new show.
Maybe William Orbit??

------------------
I find your lack of faith
disturbing.

[This message has been edited by Niels Winther Klausen (edited April 28, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

Back