• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Vancouver and guest stars

The thread that I just posted to brought to mind a question regarding Rangers that someone who knows more than me about the TV industry (like maybe Joe D) might be able to answer:
Does the fact that Rangers is filming in Vancouver mean that we're less likely to see many guest appearances from B5 and Crusade actors, or is flying an LA-based actor out to Vancouver a small cost for a show with a budget like Rangers?

------------------

The cost of flying an actor to Vancouver and housing him/her for a week is probably minimal compared to the salary. At the most it would be about $500.00 per day plus air fare and that's in Canadian funds

------------------

It is more a timing thing than anything else. The nice part (from an actor's standpoint) about being in L.A. is that you are available for last-minute auditions and meetings, even if you are working on a project shooting there.

But people fly to a lot less hospitable places than Vancouver all the time for roles, and a guest-shot in Rangers would only take them out of town for a week or ten days. I don't think this would really be an issue. Unless somebody is involved in or in heavy negotiations for another project, a week or two away isn't a big deal. Less of an issue than working in say, London or Paris, because they can get back and forth a lot quicker if need be.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Also, it's becoming more and more common for TV and picture filming to be done in Canada due to the lower costs there. Considering that a lot of actors on American TV are Canadian imports anyway, it's not really surprising that a lot of productions are moving north of the border.

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WombatControl:
Also, it's becoming more and more common for TV and picture filming to be done in Canada due to the lower costs there. Considering that a lot of actors on American TV are Canadian imports anyway, it's not really surprising that a lot of productions are moving north of the border.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you must take into consideration the fact that every $1,000,000 American (USD) dollars is worth $1,537,850 Canadian (CAD)I'm not sure what B5LR's budget is but the telemovies for TNT had a budget of $3 Million each if I'm not mistaken, so if B5LR's budget was the same, then you would take up the money to Canada and end up having $4,613,550 Canadian Dollars to play with....
Quite a big difference, and when blendid with the fact that, as you pointed out, it's cheaper to shoot there, makes it a no brainer....
The X-Files figured that out a long time ago....

------------------
"Faith Manages"

I don't know what the budget for the Ranger movie is, but I do know that JMS used to say that the budget for each B5 episode was under $1,000,000, and that's US dollars.

------------------

If I recall, X Files moved back to Southern Cal a few years back. Bad move monetarily wise, actors probably complained about having to transport themselves all that way.

I think the Lone Gunmen is filmed up there though, not that it matters anymore.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazybillyo:

I think the Lone Gunmen is filmed up there though, not that it matters anymore.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. Gunmen was done here in BC. Vancouver X-Files fans thought it was a real hoot when, only weeks after D.D. left, his wife Tea Leone had to come to Vancouver for a movie role.
crazy.gif

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

What I would like to see would be crossovers between B5:LR and Enterprise.

------------------
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." -- Captain Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie (The Drumhead)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
The budget figure I've seen bounced around for the Rangers movie is $3.8 million.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be $5,814,950 Canadian (CAD)
Plus with Andreas (G'Kar) being the only returning cast member, I'm sure they've saved alot on the B5LR telemovie just for the cast alone....
Should be some nice set and FX money left over
smile.gif

------------------
"Faith Manages"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back