• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Questions about the Victory Class Destroyer

Hesperous

Beyond the rim
I'm not sure if I read it, or heard it, but I would like someone to confirm or deny this. The Victory Class was supposed to have the Bio-Genetic Armor Skin grown on it like the Whitestar Class Monitor, giving it the ability to learn and adapt to it's enimies. I dont know where I heard it, however, I would love to see one of these graphics sites try to build the skin. Also, if this was true, will JMS have them go through the upgrade during the next few seasons?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hesperous:
The Victory Class was supposed to have the Bio-Genetic Armor Skin grown on it like the Whitestar Class Monitor, giving it the ability to learn and adapt to it's enimies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I read this also but I cannot think where. I would like to hear more about this if anyone else knows?

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

A call to Arms the movie is where it's stated

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

Thank you, Cleron, I knew it was somewhere. The second half of the Q is more speculation, (or if were lucky, JMS reads this stuff,) however, does anyone think we will see the skin added later in the series.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hesperous:
I'm not sure if I read it, or heard it, but I would like someone to confirm or deny this. The Victory Class was supposed to have the Bio-Genetic Armor Skin grown on it like the Whitestar Class Monitor, giving it the ability to learn and adapt to it's enimies. I dont know where I heard it, however, I would love to see one of these graphics sites try to build the skin. Also, if this was true, will JMS have them go through the upgrade during the next few seasons?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's not true. The armor you see on the Excalibur is partially based on Minbari/Vorlon technology as it is. It's designed to refract energy away from the hull and works on all kind of energy weapons without needing to adapt. There'd really be no need to go to the time and expense to grow new armor when there's already a perfectly good set installed.

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorien:
There is a website that explains a good deal of the technical aspects of B5 it is at http://www.b5tech.com. According to the site, the vorlon bioarmor was not yet put on the victory class ships.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I think is more interesting is the fact that the Warlock Class Destroyers (seen in 'Each Night I Dream of Home' and 'A Call to Arms') was to have Shadow Bio-Armor installed, but Clarke ran out of time and instead had the bio armor and advanced weapons retrofitted onto Omega Class Destroyers.

Max Eilerson --- Genius

------------------

For some reason I thought that the Victory and the Excalibur were put into action against the Drakh before they were 100% complete, so the ship would have most of the Vorlon defense mechanism in place (the dermis, if you will), but not all of it (the epidermis). Is this right or did I just dream it up?

------------------
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This...is wrong tool.

jtk724@hotmail.com

There is a website that explains a good deal of the technical aspects of B5 it is at http://www.b5tech.com. According to the site, the vorlon bioarmor was not yet put on the victory class ships.

------------------

This is a quote from B5 Tech located @ http://www.b5tech.com/isa/excalibur/excalibur.html

It had been the intention of the ISA to provide the Victory class vessels with Vorlon bio-armor and shields, which would make the Victory class Destroyers more than a match for any starship traveling the space ways today. Unfortunately, due to a recent Drakh attack on the planet Earth, the surviving prototype Destroyer "Excalibur", was forced to forgo her scheduled stop over on Minbar and was rushed right into service. This decision was based upon the Victory class Destroyer's impressive performance during the battle with the Drakh, and the fact that it would take months to grow and merge Vorlon bio-armor over the hull of the new Destroyer... time the ISA did not have if they were going to find a cure for the biogenic plague released on Earth*.

I guess the current Armor reflects 90% of the energy and leaves only the Phisical Impact, adding Bio Armor would would make it unbeatable by our standards.

------------------

I believe it was supposed to refract 80%, not 90%. If they did grow bio-armor onto the VCD, would they have kept the Polycrystaline armour also? And I beleive the armor was a Minbari/Human mix, not a Vorlon/Mibari mix.

------------------
"All ships open fire! Repeat! Fire!"

I think that in ACTA they said that most of the weaponary and other technology involved in the Victory Class was based upon Minbari/Vorlon technology, while Earth funded the project and helped with the layout of the technologies that were provided to them. At one point the designer Drake says that the command deck is based upon the submarine design. Earth funding and application, Minbari/Vorlon technology.

------------------

The b5tech.com site has much fan speculation to it and should not be considered a canon source for those things. The Victories were never intended to have organic armor on them, what you see is what they were to have had.

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

I think it was mentionened in the Movie, "A Call to Arms". It is coming on soon, so watch closely. I think that is where I heard it for the first time.

------------------

Back