• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What about Sinclair

D

**DONOTDELETE**

With the Rangers movie coming up, is there any possibility at all that the character of Commander Sinclair would reappear or possibly star in?

I thought he was for a while... but it was an April Fool that someone wrote.
smile.gif

But I think it's a possiblity, it all depends on timing doesn't it. I'd like to see him in there.

------------------
Star_TrekMISC261580.jpg
<font size="-2" color="silver">"The Babylon Project was our last, best, hope for peace.
A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral
territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter
of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space,
all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of
mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is
the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is
2259: the name of the place is Babylon 5."

Hey, wouldn't his reappearance be as Commander Jeffery Sinclair, not as Valen, in the 23rd century? Of course, it would be nice to see Valen in the future, too. Michael O'Hare is such a great actor; I would love to see him again.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Well, like I said in the other post (The Fan Favorite), the Minbauri do believe that one day Valen will return. Plus, Delenn mentioned that his death was a mystery, as his body was never found. Back to the future, anyone?

------------------
Nothing's the same anymore.

Not likely since he's back in 1200s.

------------------

Ahhh, but if JMS can suddenly re-sequence the opening episode of "Crusade" ("War Zone") as a flashback episode...and bearing in mind the title: "LEGEND of the Rangers"...who is to even say that a series of flashbacks to the Old Shadow War isn't a possibility...??

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by primer:
With the Rangers movie coming up, is there any possibility at all that the character of Commander Sinclair would reappear or possibly star in? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sinclair's a 1000 years in the past on Babylon 4 saving the world from Shadows & turning into that Minbari fellow whazz his name again -- Valen?
laugh.gif

------------------

You know how the Minbari say one day Valen will return again?

They likly heard that from Valen himself and his return was prolly Sinclair being born and living until he went back.

Allot of Minbari prophercies came from Valen and he only knew what happen's up until well when he went back on B4

Deviot

Zathras (sp?) described Sinclair as the "closed circle" when he took B4 for a joy ride, I see Valen's return as Sinclair.

Sheridan's body was never found either. I doubt he's coming back
wink.gif

------------------

On the topic of Sinclair, are there any books where he is featured, such as maybe his days before B5, during them, as the ambassador, or as Valen? About how many B5 books are out there?

------------------
You name it, sooner or later, everyone comes to Babylon 5.
-Commander Jeffrey David Sinclair, The Gathering

"To Dream in the City of Sorrows" by Kathryn Drennan (JMS' wife!) is an *excellent* exploration of Sinclair's life after Babylon 5. I believe that the comic series touched on what happened to Sinclair just after Chrysalis...

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

Thanks Wombat. I'll have to look into that. Any idea where I may be able to locate the old issues of the comics?

------------------

yeah that book to Dream in city of sorrows shows Sinclair just as hre arrives to minbar as Ambassador.

It also shows Sinclair and Marcus meeting it has allot of marcus in teh book.

It's actually the first(or second, not sure which book came first this book or the one with Anna and the icarus going to za'ha'dum) book to be cannon.

The comic's show Sinclair back in the past with Zathras etc only place I know to get it is somtimes on ebay(wish I had it heh)

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I know that Sinclair was originally supposed to be the main character throughout the entire series, but that changed after O'Hare's departure at the conclusion of the first season. That brought in Boxleitner as Sheridan. I was wondering that if things had originally gone as JMS intended, meaning that Sinclair would have been there the entire time, would there have ever been a character named Sheridan? I know he had the whole idea for the series already mapped out, but he had to 'rewrite' parts of it as the unexpected happened. Was Sheridan a character he already had plans to bring in somewhere along the line, or was he just created to fill the void left by O'Hare?

------------------

Re: finding To Dream in the City of Sorrows

It is out of print. You might try Amazon's out of print dealers. Barnes & Nobel wasn't able to get it for me. One copy sold on ebay recently - for $10.50 plus s/h. Sheesh!

------------------
"Sure is for people with nothing on the line. You and me, we just get on with it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I was wondering that if things had originally gone as JMS intended, meaning that Sinclair would have been there the entire time, would there have ever been a character named Sheridan?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but before the first season was over JMS saw a need for a character like Sheridan. He needed a major character with a strong personal tie to each part of the story to dramatize it. Londo, obviously for the Centauri part, Lyta, then Talia, then Lyta again (along with Ivanonva) for the Teep thread. Sinclair tied into the Minbari thread, the Battle of the Line and the Surrender.

Try as he might, JMS could not come up with a way to tie him personally into the Shadow War that was dramatically valid. It was putting too much on one character. So he began to think about adding another character who would be connected to the Shadow War and in many ways be the military hero of that war, while Sinclair remained above the fray. (At different times JMS considered using Garibaldi, or even Keffer, in this role, but ultimately decided on a whole new character.)

Once they reached a parting of the ways with Michael O'Hare, JMS was able to turn this character into Sheridan, while keeping Sinclair as part of the story and resolving that thread. (Don't forget, he would have had the same problem transferring the Valen business to Sheridan as he did adding the Shadow War to Sinclair - too much on one character. Besides, all of the clues had already been planted for Sinclair, there was no way to go back and change that. It is a good thing that O'Hare parted with Babylonian on good terms and was available to return for "War Without End".
smile.gif
)

At one point JMS compared Sheridan to Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings

SPOILERS Below for anyone who hasn't read The Lord of the Rings:

Frodo is the Quest Hero of LotR, the one who must find a way to destroy the Ring. Gandalf is the Advisor. But neither of them is Sauron's opposite number. Aragorn, the rightful King, is Sauron's military and political opponent, and it is Aragorn who must usher in the Third Age, the Age of Men, when the Wizards, the Elves and the Hobbits begin to leave Middle Earth. So Sinclair is the man of prophecy and destiny, the one who will go back in time and make possible the conditions for Sheridan's victory. But it is Sheridan who evicts the First Ones, overthrows Clarke and founds a lasting dynasty of a sort.

Interesting comparison, I've always thought.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

Nice comparison. I've always thought of Lorien as like Gandalf (He's powerful, magical, mystical...and THE first one) so that all makes great sense. I've always felt like JMS was gonna have Sheridan, but he'd be commanding the Agamemnon, not B5 for most of the show. It would have really been interesting as I'm sure JMS planned on having them do a Spiritual side/Physical side of the war kinda thing during the Shadow war.

Sheridan always talking about tactics and battles, Sinclair reminding everyone about the philosophical differences. Zathras' scene in WWOE where he does the "you are the one..." speech has always made me appreciate the triumvirate there all the more.

I wish someone would write a novel (or, heck, since I'm wishing here, a TV Movie) where John, Jeff, and Delenn are together again. It was awesome!

------------------
"What do you want?"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Who is to even say that a series of flashbacks to the Old Shadow War isn't a possibility?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would only make it better. It would be *extremely* interesting to see even something of what JMS thought Sinclair might have done during the previous Shadow war...

Until now the only detailed descriptions that I've seen have been from fanfic (which is of course good, but only one edge of the sword). But we'll certainly hear some more Minbari legends about what he did.
smile.gif

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
It would only make it better. It would be *extremely* interesting to see even something of what JMS thought Sinclair might have done during the previous Shadow war...

Until now the only detailed descriptions that I've seen have been from fanfic (which is of course good, but only one edge of the sword). But we'll certainly hear some more Minbari legends about what he did.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well some of it was shown in Comics.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sinclair:
Any idea where I may be able to locate the old issues of the comics?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Try Amazon UK. There should be three collections of B5 comics there:

The Price of Peace which deals with Sinclair arriving on Minbar (ties in with To Dream in the City of Sorrows).

Shadows Past and Present which deals with how Sinclair and Garabaldi met (ties in with Messages From Earth.

In Valen's Name which deals with Sinclair/Valen and the final fate of Babylon 4.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back