• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Well, . . Got my Season 5 dvd. . .

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
Funny about that. I had my DVDs from Amazon delivered yesterday.

All five disks were firmly in place, for the first time.

Yeah, BB says he has started watching the show on DVD, but clearly wasn't up to the current episode. It's a hoot as they all try to remember the name "the Drakh."

It's a good cast commentary. No Doyle. I was hoping for more emotion for JMS on his commentary, but he held up pretty well. Looked OLD in the season intro, though.

The best new shot was him walking away after shutting down the (SiL) power panel in that same season intro sequence, though.

I also don't think he ever explicitly stated that the new human homeworld in RoFS was the Vorlon homeworld, either (which he did this time around). A lot of us had speculated that this was the case, but he has confirmed it in his commentary.

"didn't shorter hair mean higher status for the Centauri" bit still gives me a chuckle.

He is not that far off base. Remember Emperor Cartagia wore his crest shorter, starting a trend ammong the royal court. Of course he was so many sandwichs short of a picnic, even the ants didn't bother to show up. :D

Funny about that. I had my DVDs from Amazon delivered yesterday.

All five disks were firmly in place, for the first time.

All five season sets I've received from Amazon have had all disks firmly seated on the hubs.

on the subject of series 4 R2, I saw it in my local woolie's store behind the counter (im waiting for my amazon order so I did not lower myself to bartar).
It's funny you mention the packaging being different, cos it looks like its got like 6 sections on the side, rather than the book style thing we've had before.

Re: Well, . . I got MY Season 4 dvd. . .

I was just about to post that...I got my R2 Season 4 today. (R2S4...sounds familiar... ;) )

The packaging is different and, IMHO, significantly inferior. Rather than one folding box containing all six DVD's and the booklet, which fitted into a sturdy sleeve, there are six, separate, thin DVD boxes which don't contain the booklet, which fit, loosely, into a flimsy sleeve.

The whole thing feels cheap, and the sleeve is so loose, the boxes rattle around in there...I've had it maybe 4 hours and already the sleeve is "crinkled" on the corners.

Plus the truncated "5" on the side of the sleeve is a different size from the preceding 3 seasons which, whilst a minor point, will mar the aesthetic appeal on my DVD Shelf!

I know the important part is whats on the discs, but still...I think it is disappointing that they would change to this different, and inferior packaging part way through a series release.

:confused:

VB

Oh no! Well hopefully its backside is still the same - gotta have a smart looking shelf.... </nerd>

What? They changed packaging on R2 S4?! What the hell is wrong with them? First they majorly screw with Season 3 and now this? I wil receive my S4 R2 on the next week (I think on tuesday or wednesday)... Blah. Hope this is not so bad as I think it is.

Argh! It's one thing after another with us R2 fans.

Season 1: We get a disk which has an episode in the wrong aspect ratio. On the side it says "The Complete First Season."

Season 2: We get a french booklet (with an upside down Sharlin). On the side it says "The Complete Second Series."

Season 3: Half the disks fall out, so much that some retailers refuse to stock the set. On the side it says "The Complete Third Season."

Season 4: New packagaing (which is even worse).

By the way, what do you mean by:

First they majorly screw with Season 3

Were you also referring to the loose disk issue?

Also, to those that have it, what does it say on the side? Fourth "Series" or "Season"?

I'm beginning to wonder if WHV even have a quality control. If they do, it certainly isn't money well spent. I may well end up getting the R1 version of this - which is ashame, as I had planned for a clean sweep with all sets being in the same region...

Just got my S5 DVD from Amazon.com and spotted a loose disc for the first time (I've ordered all my B5 from amazon.com). Luckily, I only saw one scratch on the disc (Disc 5 =O ) and it didn't affect playback at all.
I have to say, playing it back on the computer screen where flaws are much more noticeable (next to a projector) than on an interlaced TV, the CGI graphics are much sharper than any previous season, and the live video is noticeably less grainier and more like my other movie-based DVDs. It may just be that the newer TNT episodes were more oriented for widescreen but I'm impressed with the difference. :)

It says complete 4th Season on the side.

It could be my imagination, but the picture quality doesn't seem very good either...a little out of focus at times?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else who gets the R2 S4 thinks the same?

VB

hehehe, my S3 DVD has series on the case and season on the DVD's box thing (either that or its the other way round) and also my booklet has the middle pages back to front, so half of disk 4 is listed beside half of disk 2 :)
I get my S4 set either monday or tuesday so I'll be interested to see...

By the way, what do you mean by:

First they majorly screw with Season 3

Were you also referring to the loose disk issue?

Yes. I meant the whole disc problem with that season, altough I got fully intact set that time with no loose discs etc. But what I do NOT understand is the new packaging. I mean, now I have all my three season side by side among rest of DVD's. Now when I put season 4 with them, the whole set becomes kinda out of sync and, well, you figure it out. Couple more days and I'll see what and how did they managed to screw up with this. If this set is too different with it's packaging, I will put it for sale and order R1 version of S4 and S5 right away. Why does R2 people have to suffer? WHV, I shall curse thee!

Is this something that just happened overseas? In the US, the four seasons that I have so far all look the same on my shelf, except for the color, and it looks like the R1 S5 set will not be too different.

Or is this another case of R2 buyers getting screwed...again. :mad:

Its a Region 2 thing. WB UK has control of R2 (or at least UK) releases for WB, and they figured as long as they are changing "color" to "colour" and "aluminum" to "aluminium" they may as well change the packaging as well! :LOL:

Re: Well, . . I got MY Season 5 dvd. . .

The Ad in SFX said the R2 S4 packaging was 'new and improved'
:D
Yeah, i hate the way us R2 fans get shoddy products. It looks as if they are messing around with the movie set we will be getting as well. I should get my S3 R2 set this week. Apart from loose disks as stated above, is there anything else dodgy i should watch out for?

On another tanget, and i'm sure its been discussed before, is the quality of image on S2 'Coming of the Shadows' the result of a bad transfer? the picture blurs and fragments when moving at high speed. No other episodes on the disk or in the set do this, so I can only attribute it to a poor film to digital transfer. I've tried it on a couple of players and it seems the same.

I guess the DVD's are not the treasure we hoped they would be.

Hey it makes perfect sense when you think about it ...

When the VHS editions were released, Seasons 1-3 were numbered as sequential volumes 1-32. Then this was changed so S4 was 4.01-4.11 and S5 was 5.01-5.11.

Guess this is just the DVD box set equivalent.

Sometimes, it obviously pays to be a Yank/Canuck ...

:mad:

I got my Season 4 R2 DVDs today. Each DVD comes in its own thin case. It looks like a box of music CDs. No scratches - Warner Brothers have solved that problem. I like it.

Lyta and Pat Tallman have very different personalities. Pat never stops laughing.

Lyta and Pat Tallman have very different personalities. Pat never stops laughing.

The same could be said of Claudia Christian. When Ivanova first showed up, she had a huge stick up her butt. She eventually convinced JMS to let the character loosen up a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back