• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What was the episode that got you hooked ?

So she hates it when human societal issues are addressed in a productive, fictonal form? Is she the head of the Christian Coalition or something?

I'm wondering why Republicans just can't let Clinton go. This is Bush's domain now. He can't go on saying "it's all Clinton's fault" much longer before even the slowest of Americans starts to say "uh, stop complaining you spoiled rich kid, and get on with leading our country".

Get over it, guys. Clinton is history. Bush is in command.

God help us all.

Um..No offense..but I think you wanted to post this over THERE *points towards the Streisand thread*

If you look at "Christian Coalition" real fast, you might see the name "Clinton". I think that's what happened. It is, of course, alright to blame everything on them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm annoyed when movies/shows use death just to improve ratings - catastrophy movies, etc. Blegh. That's definantley not the case in B5.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif No, he got me. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I posted in the wrong thread. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ah, I love my allergies. They help me think so clearly. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, the Markab ... one of those early episodes that used to scream at me "This so ain't Star Trek" with it's always happy endings - a trait that did endear me to B5. The first episode like that I saw was the ending of first season's "Believers" where the parents feel that Franklin's operation had let their son's spirit escape. That was a bit of a schocker seeing a TV show handle that issue when I first saw it ... especially since a similar thing happened in my neighborhood years ago; the family across the street didn't believe in blood transfusions (it destroyed purity or something) and knew their son would probably die without it but refused to allow it; and he did ... *sigh*

Speaking of Markabs, Confessions and Lamentations really bums me out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

That episodes followed by Divided Loyalties, The Long Twilight Struggle and Comes the Inquisitor. Quite a heavy block /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hard to say, I got hooked over time. For those of you who are interested, here's the story:

I've been watching B5 from the beginning, since I always remembered Soul Hunters. During that episode I realized what a great show it was. I also knew that the story was being told by Londo, so I must have seen the pilot. I don't remember much of my first viewing of season 1, but I always did remember the reappearance of Babylon 4 and the Minbari War.

When season 2 started, I was mostly impressed by the intro. It was different from the season 1 intro, and we were 1 year further down the story.
I used my VCR for the first time during the attack of the Narn homeworld, so I only taped the last part of the episodes. (The thing that for a time stopped me from getting hooked was I didn't want to become like those Trekkies) By the end of season 2 I got a lot of my friends watching it. They are still rubbing my nose in the fact that they saw 'The Fall of Night' (when Kosh shows himself) , when I missed it at the time.

When season 3 started a few months later, I started to tape every episode (but still missed the second one). I guess I was getting hooked, 'cause it was hard for me to wait a whole week before the next episode was shown. I also started to see the similarities between the corrupt government in B5, and our own society. 'Man, the makers of B5 have guts for criticising their own government', I always thought.

In my country, they stopped showing B5 after 'Ship of Tears', when the Shadows finally came out of hiding. I couldn't believe it was the last episode, and thought it was taken of TV by the US government or something. Without internet, I had no idea what was going on, didn't know our local tv stations were the ones f*cking it up. I only had 13 episodes on tape, and was desperate for more (sounds familiar?). A whole year went by before they showed season 3 again. But this time, Ship of Tears wasn't the last episode. And by the time I saw 'War Without End', I've became truly obsessed with the show. I suddenly realised the whole story must have been written before the first episode was filmed.

When they stopped showing B5 again after Z'Ha'Dum, I decided not to wait. I just had internet, and started to search for B5 episodes on VHS. Some time later I ordered the Season 4 VHS boxset, and the S1 and S2 boxsets after that.
By now, I have all 5 boxsets, the Crusade boxset, and my self-made B5Movie boxset is almost finished.

As you can see, It's been one hell of a ride for me.

(They never showed reruns of season 1 and 2 over here, and only about 6 months ago they finally finished season 5.)

I think season one's "Believers".

I'm not a religious person myself, but the moral and ethical issues explored through this episode, and the way it was done really hit me where I live. And the icing on the cake was that the end was so un-Trek.

I was a huge Trek fan until the overuse of Seven of Nine on Voyager started to kill the last spark of affection I had for that show.

Anywho, one day I slipped a disc in my back and had to lie on a board in bed for days. To cheer me up and keep me occupied, the husband bought me the boxed set of B5 season 1, thinking I'd enjoy it cos he knows I liked Trek. I watched each ep over the course of two days, and by about "Believers" I was hooked! What I love about B5 is that I must have seen each ep at least 2 or even 3 times by now, and I'm STILL seeing things I didn't see before and get sudden flashes of insight. This really is one show that you can watch again and again over time. I love the characters so much - each one is superbly written and suberbly acted - and I love seeing how they deal with what B5 and the universe throws at them. I love the humour, and the interactions, the arc'd story, and best of all, the way you *have* to use your brain and pay attention to get the most out of it. I think that's one way Trek is going to die - by continuing to dumb down the characters, the writing and the plots, and by writing on the fly dependent on who the most popular character is this month. That way lies contempt. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You know this is the first time I ever asked a question that got than 10 replies I'm really quite proud of myself. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Shaal Mayan, it's a good question! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just dont' really remember exactly which episode it was. I was, unfortunately, one of those poor fools who heard (and assumed true) the rumor that B5 was just a cheap rip-off of DS9.

I'll never NEVER trust that kind of stupid gossip again. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back