• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 ending ???

I was just over at SFC's board and someone posted that B5 would be moved to 10am from 5pm and that not long after the show would be removed from the air,I certainly hope not it's the only show I watch but fear it may be true . Any thoughts??

Rangers did not get the go ahead. Babylon 5 in the UK changing channels to BRAVO. So B5 coming to an end on Sci-Fi would fit.

As of this morning the SciFi.com schedulebot showed B5 at 5:00 Eastern through then end of May (as far out as the schedulebot goes). That is the only info that I have.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GShans:
<font color=yellow>more details please on the no go ahead rangers</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
No one officially said NO. There were just a few press releases about other movies and miniseries that Sci-Fi is planning on running in 2003. Rangers wasnt mentioned, but then again, there werent any other series planned mentioned either. So that doesnt mean there isnt a series. Of course they also havent said there is one. Basically, nothing has changed...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by A_M_Swallow:
<font color=yellow>Rangers did not get the go ahead. Babylon 5 in the UK changing channels to BRAVO. So B5 coming to an end on Sci-Fi would fit.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
These things are not related.

SFC in the UK has had the rights to B5 since S5 was in first run, a long time before SFC in the USA got involved. As far as I am aware they are two completely separate entities. As Garibaldi would say:

"appearances aside they are two completely different species"

/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Recoil:
<font color=yellow>No one officially said NO. There were just a few press releases about other movies and miniseries that Sci-Fi is planning on running in 2003. Rangers wasnt mentioned, but then again, there werent any other series planned mentioned either. So that doesnt mean there isnt a series. Of course they also havent said there is one. Basically, nothing has changed...</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

There were several other series mentioned--the animated series, the new reality series, the Belzer thing, Rekindled.

April 2nd was SciFi's big upfront announcement day in preparation for the upcoming ad buying season. If Rangers wasn't mentioned, it was a BIG sign.

Rangers was mentioned last year as a movie and possible series. If it was still even a possible series, why wouldn't they mention it in their primary message to potential advertisers?

(On that subject, Mediaweek is the trade magazine of advertising buyers and planners. Here is how they summarized Sci Fi's announcements. Note that they do mention series:

http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1456426
The only thing they didn't really talk about at that press conference were current series like Farscape, John Edward, and SG! because those are "news".

Networks say no to dozens of projects a year. You don't hear about them at press conferences. You hear about the "yesses" and "maybes".

dont you think that if SFC had officially said "no" that JMS would have... i dunno... told people about it? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Arrghman:
<font color=yellow>dont you think that if SFC had officially said "no" that JMS would have... i dunno... told people about it? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Definately

<font color=yellow>dont you think that if SFC had officially said "no" that JMS would have... i dunno... told people about it? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

No.

I can think of several reasons why he might not:

1. He might have been advised not to stir things up while Sci Fi is still considering Polaris.

2. He might have been hoping for a last minute change of mind.

3. He might have been too depressed to talk about it.

4. He might be too busy (and too ill/injured) on Jeremiah and Polaris scripts to deal with informing fans. The guy IS busy and I'm sure "tell fans about my life" doesn't always make the top of his "to do" list.

While the guy is generally forthcoming, I sense that just because he talks to us once in a while, some people think he OWES us every bit of information.

He doesn't.

I respect that, but I sense sometimes that other fans don't.

He doesn't have to tell us anything if he doesn't want to.

"Give people an inch and they expect a mile"

oh come on... JMS has always been entirely open about all the goings on with both B5 and Crusade. this isnt a matter of me thinking that he owes us information, because he doesnt, but his previous patterns show that he almost always posts big news, good or bad, as it happens. im not saying that he *has* to tell us, just that he's more likely to tell us then to not tell us because thats what he's done in the past... its consistant

Perhaps SFC haven't said a definite "No". Perhaps they are still considering it.

And perhaps they would only say anything officially to JMS if the answer was "Yes". I don't know all the ins and outs of following up on a pilot show, but the fact that no series options were placed in the actors' contracts seems to indicate that SFC were coming at this from the point of view of a one-off movie with the possiblity of a series if it did well enough. It was even said at the time that it was a "back door" pilot.

If they felt it didn't do as well as they wanted perhaps they went with the one-off and haven't even discussed the possiblity of a series. In these circumstances there would be no need to give official word to JMS either way.

If TLADIS had been a genuine pilot, they would surely have arranged options for the actors to go to series.

Sorry to appear negative and all, but the more time passes without a word, the less chance there is of keeping the cast together for a series. My gut instinct is that if there were to be a series (which I would love to see BTW - although I would also quite like to see the movie some time please Brit TV) something would have been said by now.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

In any case, this is a moot point now. As everyone can see, JMS has told us what he knows or thinks, as most of us thought he would do once he himself has some sort of idea where things are heading.

Too bad the news wasn't what we would have hoped for, but I guess it was to be expected by now. Bottom line is - he didn't keep quiet about it, now that the press releases are out.

<font color=yellow>oh come on... JMS has always been entirely open about all the goings on with both B5 and Crusade. this isnt a matter of me thinking that he owes us information, because he doesnt, but his previous patterns show that he almost always posts big news, good or bad, as it happens. im not saying that he *has* to tell us, just that he's more likely to tell us then to not tell us because thats what he's done in the past... its consistant</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

And this is true.....
I recieved an email from b5jms-admin yesterday, and I losely quote jms here...

"...the Scifi Channel has announced that it will be shifting away from space/alien programing and all it's hardware and effects......... the network hasn't said anything(about the Rangers), but they never do."
I think he has shared as much as he knows.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back