• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Scripts Vol. 15 question

Raw Shark

Regular
So I'm wondering if there were any details given about the Second Earth-Minbari War in Vol. 15? I read somewhere on these boards that Earth wins the next one, presumably armed with Shadow tech. Londo says of the eventual revealing of the secret that ended the first war, "That... is another story." And I'm reasonably certain that Delenn was refering to more than just the devastation of Centauri Prime when she told Sheridan that the price was too high for him to go to Z'ha'dum, or whatever it was.

So who's got Vol. 15?

Raw Shark

"We have no intention of invading Narn. Flattening it, yes."
Lord Refa

A good bit of the terrible price that Delenn referred to was the shortening of Sheridan's life. Remember, Sheridan jumped into his own actual future. Delenn was trying to change that.

Not too much detail in the V15 outline but here are the broad strokes.

The Warrior Caste stages a coup and disbands the Grey Council. They resume hostilities against Earth. Londo takes control of B5's sector and Earth disputes that. The shadowmen, with Londo's help, destroy a Vorlon ship with hundreds of thousands of them aboard. Earth is blamed. B5 is destroyed by the Minbari. Sinclair and Delenn escape B5 with their newborn son. Earth does win against the Minbari but not until the then-supposed sequel, Babylon Prime.

You can't really look to the outline in V15 for clues to what might have 'actually' happened in the future of the B5 we got. In that outline, there's no mention of Sheridan and B4 is moved *forward* in time, not back. While many major story points are in the outline, the details changed as the real needs of the story we got unfolded.

Jan

Yeah I always thought that Delenn was referring to the ending of Sheridan's life as well. She didn't want to lose him because he only had a couple of years left, so she tries to change that by telling Sheridan not to go to Z'ha'dum. It was Sheridan who decided it had something to do with Centauri Prime's destruction and attempted to change that future by going to Z'ha'dum, thinking that not going might have caused the future that he saw.

Yes, it's a puzzle, isn't it? :vulcan: Whenever I'm time-travelling, I'm never sure if doing or not doing a specific action I've been warned about will definitely lead to or definitely avoid the consequence I don't want. :eek:

Thanks once again, Jan! I think I had read about half of those details on other threads, but knew I must have missed some things. Obviously most of those events would not work in the version of B5 that was immortalized, but we saw EarthForce preparing for the next war from the very first episode that was filmed, 'Infection,' and many times since then, so I doubt the idea was discarded along with the events you describe. If Crusade had continued, I'd wager the second war would not have been too far in the future.

The time travel stuff doesn't concern me much. After the Babylon 4 storyline, which I loved, I stopped making time for any further time travel stories, most of them are just pretty silly. JMS did one right, and moved on. So glad B5 didn't follow Trek's pattern of going back to time travel whenever they ran out of ideas.

Raw Shark

"The only good Minbari is a dead Minbari!"
Captain John Sheridan (umm, it must be in there somewhere)

Last edited:
Yes, it's a puzzle, isn't it? :vulcan: Whenever I'm time-travelling, I'm never sure if doing or not doing a specific action I've been warned about will definitely lead to or definitely avoid the consequence I don't want. :eek:
Well his argument was "what if that future happened because I listened to Delenn's warning?"

If Crusade had continued, I'd wager the second war would not have been too far in the future.
The Minbari civil war had already been resolved in season 4 though. In the outline, the Grey Council isn't even broken until season 5.

I stopped making time for any further time travel stories, most of them are just pretty silly. JMS did one right, and moved on.
Yep, the one he did was The Real Ghostbusters, "Xmas Marks the Spot." They change the future by accidentally catching the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future before Scrooge is turned. Oh, you were talking about Babylon 5. :devil:

The Warrior Caste is a surly lot, surely they could find time for another civil war, especially if they found out about Sinclair/Valen. Xenophobic, racist/purist, feeling betrayed by the Council once again... we've seen that they have a breaking point, beyond which they are compelled to fight. And they probably get bored, sitting out conflicts like the Shadow War. Maybe a little ashamed. In lieu of a hug, they could go to war with EarthForce again.

And whatever became of the Triluminaries?

I remember Real Ghostbusters, not sure how old I was. I remember enjoying it, but the details have mostly left my brain, mostly. The door marked 'Do not open until Doomsday' is pretty much all that stuck with me. That's a JMS script, I checked. So that's where JMS did his time travel practice writing...

Anyone know anything about the script he's writing for Bruckheimer? Not Shattered Union, the other one. Ooh, maybe it's Armageddon 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raw Shark

"It's a harsh continent."
Anonymous

Anyone know anything about the script he's writing for Bruckheimer? Not Shattered Union, the other one. Ooh, maybe it's Armageddon 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's called Vanishing Point. That's all I've seen.

Jan

Back