• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Claudia Christian

Crusader

Does anyone know if there is still bad blood between Claudia and JMS and other involved in B5. My question basically boils down to if there are more Volumes of B5: TLT (which is looking doubtfull to me atm, as from what i can tell sales arent that good) would she be willing or even asked to reprise her role as Susan Ivanova???

Don’t know, she seems to think not.

Though, as far as sales go, give it a minute, B5 was always more popular outside the US so give the rest of us a chance to buy it first. Personally I think they will be good enough. There’s many fans of the show that are not regular on-line users and when it appears on the shelves over here, there will be a steady (if not spectacular) set of sales.

Does anyone know if there is still bad blood between Claudia and JMS and other involved in B5. My question basically boils down to if there are more Volumes of B5: TLT (which is looking doubtfull to me atm, as from what i can tell sales arent that good) would she be willing or even asked to reprise her role as Susan Ivanova???

First, I don't think that the prospect of more TLT disks is doubtful at all since we've got so little data. I don't think that WB woud expect TLT to sell as well as a Stargate season, for instance. Just my opinion.

Second...having recently seen Claudia at a convention, I can tell you that she took every opportunity to say negative things about JMS, even when it meant inventing a few opportunities. Would she reprise the role if it was offered? Dunno. But she's an actress and they're not known for turning down paying work. Would JMS offer it? Dunno. What I do know is that he's been known to hire people who've pissed him off before so I don't think it's out of the question.

When each of them were asked about seeing Ivanova in TLT (personally witnessed or I wouldn't post it):

Claudia: "Are you kidding? JMS hates me."

JMS: "Who can say?"

Jan

This was discussed awhile back. I think the basic consensus was that if JMS needed Ivanova, he would definitely ask her, and she'd likely do it. I don't think the blood is especially good between Jerry Doyle and JMS, and he would've been on the first disc if the budget was better.

Check the beginning pages of the TLT threads, you should find some discussion, I think.

Edit: oh, well, I guess I defer to Jan, since she's much more knowledgeable then me on the inside track.

Last edited:
Don’t know, she seems to think not.

Though, as far as sales go, give it a minute, B5 was always more popular outside the US so give the rest of us a chance to buy it first. Personally I think they will be good enough. There’s many fans of the show that are not regular on-line users and when it appears on the shelves over here, there will be a steady (if not spectacular) set of sales.

Hmmm maybe, i live in the UK, But im such a fanatic i imported the DVD from the states lol

I don't think the blood is especially good between Jerry Doyle and JMS

Yeah I was wondering about that. Was this because Doyle was lobbying for more B5 seasons contrary to JMS' wishes or something? 'Cause I thought he was a big supporter of B5.

Yeah I was wondering about that. Was this because Doyle was lobbying for more B5 seasons contrary to JMS' wishes or something? 'Cause I thought he was a big supporter of B5.

That might be a part of it. However if you want a completely outside opinion, it seems to be that both JMS and Doyle are extremely stubborn individuals...and its rare that two people who are stubborn and have to have things their way (egos in full play here) get along as best friends. Heads almost always butt...

That might be a part of it. However if you want a completely outside opinion, it seems to be that both JMS and Doyle are extremely stubborn individuals...and its rare that two people who are stubborn and have to have things their way (egos in full play here) get along as best friends. Heads almost always butt...

Oh yeah, no doubt. I was just wondering what specifically they butted heads about.

Oh yeah, no doubt. I was just wondering what specifically they butted heads about.

There've been a couple of instances when Jerry has tried to get B5 in some form restarted and has gone public about it in advance of when JMS thought it was appropriate to get the fans hopes up. The last spat over same was quite public.

Jan

Jerry also seems to have a certain level of paranoia in his reactions to certain things. When the Garibaldi segment of the first TLT disc was dropped, I seem to remember it being reported that he went off on one on his radio show, accusing WB of dropping him because he was a Republican.

Judging by that, and his reactions to JMS in the previous public spat about the ressurection of B5, he seems to have something of a persecution complex.

For selfish reasons, I honestly wish JMS and Claudia could put their differences aside. I would love to see Ivanova in TLT. She's such an amazing character, and Claudia an amazing vehicle to deliver that character... it's just a shame.

On one hand, I feel that Season 5 always feels a bit "off" to me at the start because it seems weird not having Ivanova in the show anymore.

On the other hand, Claudia Christian is responsible for more B5 "cringe moments" than any other actor/actress. Not all of them are her fault acting wise mind you, some are just bad dialogue or bad directing, but still....

Lyta was created and Pat Tallman was hired because she had "Telepath Eyes". JMS knew he had to have her when he saw the Night of the Living Dead Remake.

Yeah, I know. She's still not a very good actress (probably because she started as a stunt double) and, as Recoil noted with Christian, was given some painful dialogue.

Yeah, I know. She's still not a very good actress (probably because she started as a stunt double) and, as Recoil noted with Christian, was given some painful dialogue.

Oh definitely agreed, I was actually defending the fact that she wasn't hired for her acting ability so much as her looks. I don't think she's terrible, and I enjoy watching her, but, she definitely won't be winning any emmys for acting alone. I think most of her acting jobs has been because she is a stunt woman.

I wouldn't say "she wasn't hired for her acting ability." She was hired as an actress; it's just that she was an actress who happened to have a certain look that JMS liked for the role.

Having said that, count me among those who have frequently cringed at performances by both Pat and Claudia (and true, some of Claudia's were writing cringes rather than acting cringes; the Lumati sex scene being the worst offender). :O

Amy

There've been a couple of instances when Jerry has tried to get B5 in some form restarted and has gone public about it in advance of when JMS thought it was appropriate to get the fans hopes up. The last spat over same was quite public.

Jan

I'm afraid Jerry really comes off as a spoiled brat, who seems to think the world owes him something. And this:

"At least I'm still trying to bring back what should never have been taken off
the air. The fans deserve the show."

Is that really worth bragging about? :rolleyes: He's saying at least he's trying to bring back a show that should never have ended (which kind of is like saying to the author/creator/showrunner that he doesn't have rights somehow due to the quality of his work... :confused:)

And "the fans deserve the show" is complete bull. I'm sorry, but fans do NOT own shows, they do NOT plan their themes and characters and plots and such. So how did these "fans" mysteriously gain control of the series they so love? I mean, sorry, but an artists "owes the fans" nothing. Other than to perform when they have paid to see a performance. No one with any brains would ever be creative if they knew they'd lose control to "the fans" if it becomes a success.

Besides, shows that have let themselves be influenced heavily by "fan opinion" tend to stink like rotting meat, don't they?

Claudia said some dumb things probably under the direction of her agent, but even her idiocy didn't seem to make her babble quite as much stupidity as Jerry has.

So yes, JMS has been known to throw his rather impressive anger around, he seems to have an ability to distance himself from it when it's an actor as opposed to someone with some control over the show (networks execs, or whoever passes along those "helpful" little suggestion notes).

And yea, didn't JMS say Garibalidi was to be on the first DVD but he found he just didn't have the heart to cut his other stories down that much? Or something about feeling he needed more time for the two stories he had committed to. So it sounds like a Garibaldi episode would be top of the list for future DVD stories.

Hee hee, what he should be worried about is just what JMS will write for him, eh? ;)

And yea, didn't JMS say Garibalidi was to be on the first DVD but he found he just didn't have the heart to cut his other stories down that much? Or something about feeling he needed more time for the two stories he had committed to. So it sounds like a Garibaldi episode would be top of the list for future DVD stories.
Once JMS got his crew together, he and they realized that having three segments on this initial disk would be too ambitious, given the budget that they had. The Garibaldi sequence that he'd already written was the most complex so it was the one cut.

Hee hee, what he should be worried about is just what JMS will write for him, eh? ;)
Weeelll...I assume Jerry saw the script already since they were already in negotiations when it was dropped. Which, as GH mentioned, fueled Jerry's paranoid streak. That made no sense to me at all. C'mon, is JMS exactly known for writing scripts that aren't gonna be made?

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back