• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official BSG S3 Spoiler Thread

BTW, the reason they're going on such a lengthy break is because they are filming 2 made-for-TV BSG movies this summer. Also, I think Sci-Fi might be rotating the time of year that BSG runs, since they're so heavy on shows right now. We might be watching BSG during the late-winter/spring/summer rotation from now on.

I'm still not happy about it, though. Nearly a year is a long time to wait, and you risk losing viewers to other shows with interesting storylines that could compete with BSG.

2 Movies? Where'd you hear about the second? I've only heard about a Pegasus one, to be shown in the Fall (Most likely) and released to DVD.

That one shot of the final five looking down from the balcony had definite resonances of power and judgement. I'm thinking the Final Five will be instrumental in ending the war. And it's fascinating that four of those five models have cast their lot with humans. Someone once theorized -- was it here, or at some other board? -- that both sides would split, so it's not just Baltar with the Cylons and Athena with the Humans, but a bunch of both on one side and a bunch of both on the other.

Part of me was wondering something different about the Final 5. Its never been stated that ALL Cylon models have been mass-produced, we just assume that. All of the models we have seen SO FAR have had many, many copies. What if that is not the case with the Final 5?

Maybe they are unique? Maybe they were made and placed in humanity, programmed to age, to explore being human? Those remaining Cylons may be one of a kind. Maybe those 4 were activated by the 5th one (or 6th...an interesting idea that was mentioned above).

So there's nothing stating that there have to be mass copies of them...they could have been a special project, or idea, or concept that was done YEARS ago, and it was never spoken of because not all the Cylons agreed with it.

Perhaps it does have a lot to do with exploring what it means to be a Cylon (or human)....

As to Galactica arriving in our past...I have a feeling that is what is going to happen. I can't say I'm thrilled with the concept, but it has the biggest "shock" value from a storytelling standpoint so I'm sure thats where they are going to go.

Again, a lot of BSG has me baffeled there, and I dont think it all makes sense, but it is what it is.

I don't know .. if they're receiving radio signals of "All Along the Watchtower", shouldn't that include anything prior to the 60s?

Yeah, I read that apparently it's a colonial song that just happens to be "just like" our song .. I don't buy that though. Why would they be hinting at a song some of us might actually *know*, just to pretend that it's something that just happens to be just like it afterwards?

Did anyone actually recognize the song from the melody? I only got it when they started saying the lyrics, and noticed that they were awfully familiar.

Re: the song.

Would that not depend on how far away they are?

They could be hearing a signal that is weeks old or it could even decades old.

I don't know .. if they're receiving radio signals of "All Along the Watchtower", shouldn't that include anything prior to the 60s?

Yeah, I read that apparently it's a colonial song that just happens to be "just like" our song .. I don't buy that though. Why would they be hinting at a song some of us might actually *know*, just to pretend that it's something that just happens to be just like it afterwards?

Did anyone actually recognize the song from the melody? I only got it when they started saying the lyrics, and noticed that they were awfully familiar.

Well, what I know comes from Bear McCreary's blog, and he's the composer for the show; he said that Ron Moore told him it's not really Hendrix or Dylan, but something exactly the same written by a Colonial. Why... well, I'm not sure, but Moore had written it into the script, so it's there for a reason.

And I really doubt that anyone recognized the song from the snippets beforehand, because McCreary wrote that bit himself; the original tune and chords don't come in until after Tigh and Tyrol start reciting bits and pieces.

As I've never heard the originals (either of them) I didn't recognize the song at all until the last stanza with the eponymous line. How's that for sheltered?

Maybe he put in the script because he didn't want people to think it was from Earth. Maybe he just wanted to have a different "effect" or "feel" to the tune. It was so unrecognizable, I didn't realize what they were doing until Tigh said "There has to be some kind of way out of here." I remember thinking...OK, why are they quoting Bob Dylan lyrics?

Strange either way...

Maybe he put in the script because he didn't want people to think it was from Earth. Maybe he just wanted to have a different "effect" or "feel" to the tune. It was so unrecognizable, I didn't realize what they were doing until Tigh said "There has to be some kind of way out of here." I remember thinking...OK, why are they quoting Bob Dylan lyrics?

Strange either way...

Yeah the Tigh was one of the first indications, and Tyrol humming it think could maybe draw the tune sort of. But think would literally have to heard the it before the humming to get it.
Was dicking around a little with you tube and found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7da3iwxMUjU
it was posted novemeber 2006 , dunno if Moore took it or not sure their had to be hundreds of amv of various tunes , to scenes though I am surprised this survived NBC copyright infringement regimens. (though suppose making amv come under freedom of use laws )

And you forgot their is one other possibility that no one said and would be more socking than Galatica reaches us in past, and would fit some of the pontificating in the show. They reach earth in the future and Humanity is dead and gone with just cities left depending on pontification modern day cities or futuristic.

EDIT: Dang my 200 th post and probably another 5 years to my 400th

Last edited:
For clarity sake, the quote from the blog:
I happened to catch Ron Moore in the hallway at Universal and, in a brief conversation, got everything I needed to know. I learned that the idea was not that Bob Dylan necessarily exists in the characters' universe, but that an artist on one of the colonies may have recorded a song with the exact same melody and lyrics. Perhaps this unknown performer and Dylan pulled inspiration from a common, ethereal source. Therefore, I was told to make no musical references to any "Earthly" versions, Hendrix, Dylan or any others. The arrangement needed to sound like a pop song that belonged in the Galactica universe, not our own.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/html/blog/blogmain.htm

But I don't buy that. The statistical odds of two entirely separate civilisations generating individual artists who come up with pretty much the same lyrics and a similar tune have got to be more than astronomical. Subtle touches such as technological and political similarities I can handle... but when they start implying that you can have, I dunno... effectively two Mozarts separated by time and space, it starts getting a little hokey for my liking.

I need to get season 3 so I can make my own mind up about what is going on.

But I don't buy that. The statistical odds of two entirely separate civilisations generating individual artists who come up with pretty much the same lyrics and a similar tune have got to be more than astronomical. Subtle touches such as technological and political similarities I can handle... but when they start implying that you can have, I dunno... effectively two Mozarts separated by time and space, it starts getting a little hokey for my liking.

I need to get season 3 so I can make my own mind up about what is going on.

Well, they also have Hummers and Armani suits on Caprica...

Well, they also have Hummers and Armani suits on Caprica...

That I can swallow... because stuff like that isn't as "unique". Suits are all based around the same simple format, only with buttons, collars and seams moved around. Vehicles follow the same basic designs too. But when you start messing with individual creative geniuses, I get uncomfortable.

For example, if Da vinci's Last Supper, or some of the paintings in the Sistine Chapel showed up... I'd have real problems. The thing about songs and works of art is that they are very individual... often based on the personal experiences and personality of the creative mind behind them and how they perceived the world.

They already borrowed a real-life piece of music by Philip Glass and said it was written by Starbuck's father. And they didn't change that one at all.

One thing I was thinking about the 13th tribe. What if when they left in search of earth, they didn't have jumping ability? Or a limited version of it, when they would take generations to reach it? That would help explain any technological influence (or lack of) they would have once reaching earth.

Another thought I had as well, what happens if groups from earth returned back to the 12 colonies to influence them? Hence similiar songs / styles of developement? (even to the point, influence the creation of Cyclons and the human models, hence the whole 'it has happened before' ... because they went through the path already from Earth's point of view ...)

Just some random ... rabblings.

S.

Well, it could be that the song comes to Earth from the 12 colonies and that it's uncovered at a later date by Dylan who "covers" it and claims its his own. Hehehe. Silly, but who knows.

I may be a total screwball here, but I have always gotten the impression that the 12 colonies were colonies of Earth, and they are going back there because they have nowhere else to go where humanity might exist. Everything that was left behind that the fleet has encountered was left by colonists setting out from Earth to find worlds to colonize and set up shop. It's reasonable to assume that after a few hundred or thousand years, that your descendants would forget the way back to the planet of origin. Why you would leave such mysterious signs behind is beyond me, though. But stuff like All Along the Watchtower isn't a Colonial song that just happens to sound like one of "our" songs, it is our song that they preserved from their past.

That would be an interesting theory to say the least, but I think Kobol is the birthplace of mankind. I kind of like that mythos, anyhow. =)

We'll see by the end of next season!

So ... Hendrix is God, after all.

And I do believe we have a thread winner!

That would be an interesting theory to say the least, but I think Kobol is the birthplace of mankind. I kind of like that mythos, anyhow. =)

Well, that is how it was established in the Original Series. That Earth is the 13th Tribe. That "life here, began out there."

This incarnation of BSG followed along the same principal with the pilot episode, referring to a lost colony of Earth. That ancestors from the 12 colonies set out and found Earth.

(of course...how would word of its name have gotten back to the 12 colonies in either incarnation of BSG? That always made me question the foundation of the whole concept. ;) )

Do we even know that there's an in-story reason for the song beyond the producers' liking the music and/or deriving some inspiration from the lyrics and thus deciding to use it?

Do we even know that there's an in-story reason for the song beyond the producers' liking the music and/or deriving some inspiration from the lyrics and thus deciding to use it?

Ron Moore et al seem to be trying too hard to convince us that is so, so it makes you suspicious there is something underneath that layer,

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back