• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Braga quits Trek...

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=33262

Braga: I'm Done With Trek

Longtime Star Trek producer Brannon Braga told SCI FI Wire that he's done with the franchise, at least for now and for the foreseeable future. "At the moment, yeah," Braga said in an interview. "There will be a lot of fans cheering about that," he added wryly, referring to the often caustic fan criticism directed at him during his 15 years as a writer and producer on Trek series and movies.

Since the end of Star Trek: Enterprise earlier this year after four seasons on the air, there have been no plans announced for either a new Trek film or TV series for the first time in 18 years. But Braga said that, even if there were, he would likely turn down any chance to be part of it. "At this point, most likely not," Braga said. "Just having come off so many years on the show and having done something different, I just don't think I would be ready now. Nor do I think they would necessarily ask me. But if they came to me today, I would have to be very flattered, but politely decline."

Braga served as co-creator and executive producer of Star Trek: Enterprise. Braga began his tenure with the Trek franchise in 1990 as a writer/producer on The Next Generation. In 1995, he was appointed executive producer of Star Trek: Voyager. Braga wrote more than 150 Trek episodes, including the Next Generation series finale "All Good Things ... ," which earned him the Hugo Award for excellence in science fiction writing. Braga also co-wrote the movies Star Trek: Generations and Star Trek: First Contact, which became the highest-grossing of the nine Star Trek films. Braga worked closely with the other longtime executive producer of Trek, Rick Berman.

Braga is now an executive producer on CBS' new SF drama Threshold and has left Trek behind. "You know how it is," he said. "You did something for a long time. Star Trek was very good to me. And I certainly did my best to contribute to Star Trek. But there just comes a point where I'm not sure what else I would have to give. I certainly could see the financial value in it, but at this point, creatively, I would not want to be involved in something that I couldn't give to."

Threshold moves to a new timeslot, Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT, beginning Nov. 22.

At least he still gets to go home and diddle Jerri Ryan.

I await CE's jubilant reaction...

at least for now and for the foreseeable future. "At the moment, yeah,"
would likely turn down
most likely not

Why does all that non-certainty make me think it's more of him realizing that he participated in the sucking of so much out of the franchise that's caused so many people to abandon the franchise (not necessarily abadon past portions of Star Trek that they've liked, though) and not that he truly wants to give up sucking off of the franchise?

Nor do I think they would necessarily ask me.

If they're smart.

Braga wrote more than 150 Trek episodes, including the Next Generation series finale "All Good Things ... ," which earned him the Hugo Award for excellence in science fiction writing.

He wrote it? ...with a glaring huge-ass plothole!!! Good on him for being rewarded for proving he can create in-universe laws for a story and not actually follow through on those laws all in the same piece of writing.

But there just comes a point where I'm not sure what else I would have to give.

Other people have been asking this of you for a much longer time than you have been asking yourself.

Can you "quit" something that has died?

LOL Hyp. That's my contention. "HELLO!!! The Powers that be have put the Franchise on hold for a minimum of 3 years, there is nothing to bow out of.

[....]
Threshold moves to a new timeslot, Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT, beginning Nov. 22.

Re. Threshold, I actually enjoy it, due in large part to the actors. Didn't think Braga could do anything remotely good. IMO, Threshold ain't bad.

I don't think so. Didn't she throw him out?

[....]

Re. Threshold, I actually enjoy it, due in large part to the actors. Didn't think Braga could do anything remotely good. IMO, Threshold ain't bad.

When did she get together with Braga? Last thing I knew she was married to the Politician who had troubles with his Congressional campaign because he "Made her do dirty things in sex clubs".

I agree GKE, TNG's Finale was great. Enterprise's, not so much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When did she get together with Braga? Last thing I knew she was married to the Politician who had troubles with his Congressional campaign because he "Made her do dirty things in sex clubs".

I think Braga and Ryan dated during the production of Voyager then they moved in together but they broke up what was is in 2001.I think.

[....]

When did she get together with Braga?
During Voyager.

Last thing I knew she was married to the Politician who had troubles with his Congressional campaign because he "Made her do dirty things in sex clubs".

Here's all I could find at the moment.....

NNDB - Jeri Ryan
Husband: Jack Ryan (m. 1991, div. 1999)
Boyfriend: Brannon Braga

Wikipedia - Brannon Braga
"During the later seasons of Voyager, Braga became romantically linked with series actress Jeri Ryan, which generated a negative backlash from some Trekkers."

Wikipedia - Jeri Ryan
After her marriage ended, Ryan began a relationship with Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise executive producer Brannon Braga. Her most recent TV appearances have been as a recurring character, Charlotte, on the hit show, The O.C..

In February of 2005, Ryan announced the opening of her restaurant, Ortolan. Located on Third Street in Los Angeles, California, the restaurant serves French food with a modern interpretation. Ryan opened the restaurant with her boyfriend, Chef Christophe Eme.

Ah, so Jack Ryan's troubles were from skeletons in a marriage that had ended 5 years earlier coming to light. My bad. I thought they were married at the time it came out.

Hmm, I guess I'll ask this in public, after all. :eek:

What are the plot holes in TNG's finale "All Good Things"?

Ah, so Jack Ryan's troubles were from skeletons in a marriage that had ended 5 years earlier coming to light. My bad. I thought they were married at the time it came out.

No, they were well divorced. His kinky sex practices were revealed during the divorce proceedings by Jeri when she was listing the reasons they were splitting up.
During his run for office, she told the press that she had nothing against him and that she supported his bid for office.

The main one is that they explain the big time distortion thingy by the three beams hitting the same place at different times .. and that this caused some super-duper distortion thingy because all three ships where the Enterprise.

Problem is, they weren't. The ship in the future was the Pasteur, Crusher's command.

Though all in all, I enjoyed All Good Things .. also if it had it's gigantic plot holes.

What are the plot holes in TNG's finale "All Good Things"?

In the episode it is eventually explained that the anomaly that Picard and the ships that he's on in the various time periods encounters is an anomaly of anti-time. It is explained that unlike regular time that progresses forward, the anti-anomaly progresses backward -- it gets bigger the further backward one goes in time. The converse explanation to this would be that it gets smaller the further forward one goes in time. It is also eventually explained that the anomaly was created when Picard and his ship in each of the three time periods used the deflector to shoot some kind of beam or energy or something at the anomaly's location.

The plot hole is that if it was these deflector dish beams that created the anomaly, and that it travels backward in time (getting bigger the further in the past it is), then the anomaly, from all of our (viewers' and characters') perspectives, should be getting smaller the more forward in time we go. If it did so, we would get to a point in the future that it would get smaller and smaller and eventually disappear (my guess would be it would disappear at the moment the future ship shot the location with its deflector dish beam). But in the future in the story, the anomaly isn't there until some time AFTER the beam has been shot at the location. In the future, it's Dr Crusher's medical ship that goes to the location that the anomaly is in in the other two time periods, but it isn't there. Despite it not being there, they shoot the beam anyway. Nothing appears to happen, so she orders the ship out of the area, and they're eventually attacked by Klingons, and Riker comes to the rescue with the future Enterprise. They then take the future Enterprise back to the location to find that the anomaly is there.

So, if the anomaly gets bigger the future back in time it goes, then it should've been there when Dr Crusher's ship was there. But it's not, it appears after, which defies the explanation of anti-time that we're given in the episode.

I hope that's clear enough to explain what I mean.

That's the first time in a LONG time that I've gotten a headache from reading something...

Aside from the technical technicalities, All Good Things had its biggest strengths in the development of the characters themselves. I'm not one of the Trek zealots who believes that everything Braga touches turns to crap, and All Good Things was definitely not crap.

A lot of his other stuff is, though. :p

I haven't seen Threshold yet, since it's on Friday nights and I'm watching something else then. Hopefully after its move to Tuesdays next week, I can start catching up on it.

Good news about Braga, I think. I don't blame him for everything that was wrong about Trek, but definitly some of it was his fault.

About all Good Things, what you said doesn't sound like a huge plot hole, it sounds like a minor one to me. Oh well.

If Voyager and Enterprise had never happend, Braga would have been hailed as a hero amongst Trek fans.

Exactly, he wrote a lot of good stuff when he first started.

'Cause And Effect' from Season 5 of TNG is one of his, and it is excellent! He also did Season 7's 'Parallels' with Worf moving from one alternate reality to another.

Not to mention co-writing TNG movie 'First Contact'.

Even some of his Voyager stuff was good, like 'Scorpion Pt 1'.

And all of those stories have the same thing in common: cool story ideas, great character development, glaring plot holes (don't get me started on the Borg Queen).

Braga was fine as one of many writers- he could be balanced out my more hardcore sci-fi geeks, the types more into plot minutae and Trek history.

Back