• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What were the "worst" B-5 Episodes?

Dayton3

Regular
What were the \"worst\" B-5 Episodes?

Judging by peoples reviews of episodes here, it seems that the vast majority of B-5 episodes are viewed very favorably.

I understand. The "Best of Babylon-5" in my view would run some 50 episodes long or more. With most of the remainder at least being considered "good".

But are there any episodes of the series that you consider bad or particularly flawed?

The only one that springs to mind ot me is "Gray 17 is Missing".

A very typical "creature of the week" show.

I know there were some other weak ones. In particular toward the second half of seasons 1 & 5 IIRC>

Re: What were the \"worst\" B-5 Episodes?

The thing is, even the weakest episodes have their good points. "Grey 17" has the Marcus and Neroon storyline, and "Infection" sets up one of the most important points in the entire 5-year arc (the use of organic technology to make destructive machinery).

I agree with that completely. Grey 17 and Infection had some strong elements in them. And as a side note, the latter isn't that bad of an episode in my opinion. Hell, even TKO had that small wonderful moment of foreshadowing from Walker: "One of these days, Garibaldi, you are gonna learn to watch your back." But if I would have to choose a few episodes here would be my choices...

TKO - Somewhat boring. That's all.

The Quality of Mercy - Not a bad episode per se, but it certainly is misplaced. In the middle of wonderful stories like A Voice in the Wilderness, Babylon Squared and Chrysalis it feels weak and slow, even though it introduces a certain device that will be somewhat important later on.

Soul Mates - One of those boring "Ex-boyfriend of an important female character comes to Babylon 5!"-stories. Even the comedic aspects of Londo's three wives doesn't work properly.

Exogenesis - This episode had so much potential, but it was never used later in the series. If the Vindrizi knew many things about the history of the universe, why wasn't that information available during the war? I would imagine that would have been very useful.

Grey 17 Is Missing - A man in the rubber suit. 'nuff said.

The Deconstruction of Falling Stars - This is the first episode filmed during the production of the fifth season and it shows. The story and the way it is told doesn't exactly fit into the style of Babylon 5 at all.

Now I could name many other episodes from the fifth season, which was overall the weakest link in the series, but I'll stop now. ;)

I think MMarin hit the nail on the head with all my sentiments on the worst, and I agree that there are good, redeeming qualities within all the "bad episodes." I'm a huge Neroon and Marcus fan, so I naturally enjoyed that part of the episode. Could have done w/o the dummy that shot tranq-darts from its eyes, though. =)

the byron string in general, but S5 did pick way the hell up after he went his way. and i really had a hard time enjoying believers as well, i just could take the dudes in the medlab seriously and then when they kill their son it just beats me up, personally though i did rather enjoy TKO.

I would give Walkabout an honorary mention. Though it has a very strong A plot, its B plot is, IMHO, the most hideous thing B5 ever did. It's the only thing on the entire show I fast forward, every singe time.

The Deconstruction of Falling Stars - This is the first episode filmed during the production of the fifth season and it shows. The story and the way it is told doesn't exactly fit into the style of Babylon 5 at all.

It's of course a matter of opinion .. but I would like to note that that was exactly what that episode wanted to do. If it doesn't fit into the style of Babylon 5 at all, it succeeded at what it was trying to do.

Of course I have to agree with that. And if I wouldn't have a clue about the troubles in the production during that time, I would propably say that it's a great episode. But for me, all the fifth season episodes feel rushed even compared to the fourth season and The Deconstruction of Falling Stars seems to be the pinnacle of that since it was filmed in the beginning. It just simply isn't anywhere near the necessary quality that is needed for a season finale.

I can honestly say there is only one episode of B5 I do not like, and that is Secrets of the Soul. I think like a lot of people have said, sometimes one of the two storylines in an episode is good. Secrets of the Soul is really one of the only episodes that has no redeeming qualities.

Just my opinion of course.

and Btw, I think Soul Mates was great.

But for me, all the fifth season episodes feel rushed even compared to the fourth season and The Deconstruction of Falling Stars seems to be the pinnacle of that since it was filmed in the beginning.

Some would attribute that to the fact that the fifth season episodes were shot on a six-day production schedule, rather than the seven day schedule of the first four seasons. However "Sleeping in Light" was shot in six days, not seven, and I don't remember anyone saying that one feels rushed. (JMS knew that the one small hope for a fifth season was a pick-up by a cable station, which would probably require changing to a six-day shoot. So he decided to use the only episode he directed to prove that it could be done. Just in case.)

Regards,

Joe

I would give Walkabout an honorary mention. Though it has a very strong A plot, its B plot is, IMHO, the most hideous thing B5 ever did. It's the only thing on the entire show I fast forward, every singe time.

A plot: The battle.
B plot: Franklin getting stabbed, and then "finding himself."

<u>For me: the worst episodes are:</u>
Any episode with Byron, that isn't saved by the other plot.
Believers
Honorable Mention: Survivors because of Lianna Kemmer. :p

I can honestly say there is only one episode of B5 I do not like, and that is Secrets of the Soul. I think like a lot of people have said, sometimes one of the two storylines in an episode is good. Secrets of the Soul is really one of the only episodes that has no redeeming qualities.

:eek: It has the reveal about the Vorlons through Lyta's memories. For that alone, it doesn't belong on the "worst" list. I'm sure JoeD will add another reason. I didn't because we never saw anything, and look who she was with. :p :p :p

and Btw, I think Soul Mates was great.
Agreed, because of Timov.

I'd vote Grey 17 is Missing, but the part with Neroon and Markas kicks ass. It's the only redeeming part of the ep.

But for sure, Infection, Exogenesis, and Intersections in Real Time have got to be the worst.

It (Soul Mates) has the reveal about the Vorlons through Lyta's memories. For that alone, it doesn't belong on the "worst" list. I'm sure JoeD will add another reason. I didn't because we never saw anything, and look who she was with.

True, however I had sort of already assumed that that particular "revalation" before that episode. I agree that the way that particular scene was done was very effective, but not enough to save the episode from my worst list.

As for the other reason, yea, like you said, look who she was with. :LOL:

KoshN, you described "Shadow Dancing," not "Walkabout." "Walkabout" is the one where Franklin hooks up with that singer.

KoshN, you described "Shadow Dancing," not "Walkabout." "Walkabout" is the one where Franklin hooks up with that singer.

Damn, I always get those two mixed up! Well, both involve Franklin "on walkabout." :eek: I didn't find the Franklin/Cailyn plot to be bad. At least, whoever's doing the singing can sing (IMHO). And I do FF through the Franklin plot in "Shadow Dancing."

It (Soul Mates) has the reveal about the Vorlons through Lyta's memories. For that alone, it doesn't belong on the "worst" list. I'm sure JoeD will add another reason. I didn't because we never saw anything, and look who she was with.

The "it" was "Secrets of the Soul," not "Soul Mates." ...and I didn't do that. :angel:

"Soul Mates" also has that great scene between Mariel and G'Kar at the end, where she says, "G'Kar, if you were married to Londo Mollari...we would all be very worried."

I have come to like the the usual suspects (Infection, TKO and Gray 17) because of their redeeming qualities.

The ones that I view as less are merely those that were pretty good to me on a first viewing, but, I don't think hold up well to a second viewing, such as Believers (was actually very good the first time, showing this show wasn't your dad's scifi) and Intersections in real time (Also very good the first time, but, emotionally draining upon repeat viewings).

The one episode that I dislike but most seem to enjoy is Grail.

Back