• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The River Of Souls

The River Of Souls

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lochley doesn't even have the kind of figure that's particularly flattered by lingerie. I mean, yeah, she's hot, but more like an athlete than a boudoir sex-kitten type of hot.

Yeah ... she was always more sexy when we caught her working out during S5 than in that ridiculous getup.

I wish I could do that trick she does with the chair... :LOL: that woman has got some strong arms!

Are you talking about the lifts, where she is in a sitting position, her hands are behind her, and she's lifting her body up and down?

If so, it's an easy exercise. The feet are on the floor so it's not your whole weight. It's a good tricep and chest routine, I do it myself.

Yeah ... she was always more sexy when we caught her working out during S5 than in that ridiculous getup.

To me, that look was a combination of trashy and "trying too hard." I think Lochley always looked best when she was "At ease!" (i.e. casual), even when somebody woke her up in the middle of the night.

To me, that look was a combination of trashy and "trying too hard." I think Lochley always looked best when she was "At ease!" (i.e. casual), even when somebody woke her up in the middle of the night.

... and without her hair pinned back. Man, that was severe.

TLaDiS made me appreciate TRoS movie all the more. It made me look back on TRoS as "the good ol' days, when B5 movies could be good." TRoS, the worst of the movies? Hell no! That dubious honor is reserved for TLaDiS, no contest. Before TLaDiS, I gave TRoS low ratings, 4 out of 10 on IMDb. After TLaDiS, TRoS looks like gold in comparison (upped to 7 out of 10).

Should be interesting to see what KoshN posts when we actually get to the TLaDiS episode discussion..

... and without her hair pinned back. Man, that was severe.

Yeah, what worked for Claudia (See closeups when she was in The Great Machine of Epsilon 3. :D ) certainly did NOT work for Tracy. :eek: :( Claudia has softer features that are flattered by the hair pulled back ("peanut") look. Tracy's features are much sharper, more stark, and the hair pulled back look makes her look like, to use somebody else's description, "Skeletor" (sp).
http://www.geocities.com/talin_j/Skeletor.jpg
Hmm, that wasn't the image I was thinking of (which is a guy wearing a green hood, whose face was wasn't a skull, and was made of green metal with more airspaces and sharp edges in it than a skull, ...no not Dr. Doom, not the Green Goblin.). Damn it, I can't think of the character name. Maybe my visual recollection is faulty. <shrug> Maybe I'm morphing it with something from the Transformers. :confused:

Should be interesting to see what KoshN posts when we actually get to the TLaDiS episode discussion..

I'll try to hold back.

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority here but I thought this B5 movie was excellent. I agree that Morgan Sheppard played the Soul Hunter episode really really well but of course he played a crazy deranged man but I personally really love the role Martin Sheen did in this movie. It was nice to see a spinoff of the Soul Hunter episode in Season 1. The only other role that Martin Sheen played off better was Robert E. Lee in Gettysburg. GReat Great movie I thought.

The Dead Zone (1983)

The Final Countdown (1980)
I'm sorry I said that Martin Sheen was best in Gettysburg but I just haven't had the opportunity to see the other films just yet. I'm just going on the films that I've seen him in like Spawn, Gettysburg and of course River of Souls. I may even think that he did great in Apocalypse Now but I'm personally raising my bar with Robert E. Lee..IMHO

The Dead Zone (1983)

The Final Countdown (1980)

I loved the Final Countdown, even if the Captain of the ship nearly caused a paradox... purely out of patriotic spirit.

Although that would actually be impossible in our current understanding of time theory because if there is only one universe... it is impossible to change what has already happened... and if there is more than one universe, the events you thought you were altering would in fact be happening in an entirely different universe.

I gave this a C.

It really wasn't at all interesting. And while it was nice they did something with the Soul Hunter arc there isn't a lot to be excited about in this episode for me. It's cute in places, but it is still my least favorite of the original set of B5 movies.

Many agree with you on that point, myself included. And they had a good guest star to work with, and completely wasted him. Martin Sheen often plays rather subdued characters, but this one seemed... drugged.

An interesting premise that didn't unfold as entertainingly as I'd have hoped. I'm not sure why, either, but it just didn't seem to stand up to the rest of the series or the tv-movies.

I think that "The River Of Souls" would not be a bad story for an episode.Perhaps one of the reasons why we didn't like it much was that it was decided as a movie so the fans expected more from it.I personally didn't understand why so much prescious time of the film was taken showing that silly bar for virtual sex.

I think that "The River Of Souls" would not be a bad story for an episode.Perhaps one of the reasons why we didn't like it much was that it was decided as a movie so the fans expected more from it.I personally didn't understand why so much prescious time of the film was taken showing that silly bar for virtual sex.

Probably because it could have worked as a 45 minute episode.

I gave this a C.

It really wasn't at all interesting. And while it was nice they did something with the Soul Hunter arc there isn't a lot to be excited about in this episode for me. It's cute in places, but it is still my least favorite of the original set of B5 movies.

Upon first viewing, it was also my least favorite of:

• The Gathering
  • In the Beginning
  • Thirdspace
  • The River of Souls
  • A Call to Arms

...but since that time, it's grown on me and I find that I now like it more than Thirdspace. "To Live and Die in Starlight" came along in January 2002 to strongly claim the bottom spot on my list. And no, I don't call the Lost Tales thing a movie; it's more like a couple of tenuously connected B-threads, not even an entire, traditional B5 episode, let alone a "movie." If I was going to rank them all, including Lost Tales, it'd go like this, from best to worst:

• In the Beginning - A
  • A Call to Arms - A
  • The Gathering - B-
  • The River of Souls - C+
  • Thirdspace - C- (mainly a CGI fest)
  • Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales - Over There - C- (because it was so thin.)
  • Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales - Over Here - D
  • To Live and Die in Starlight - F

I find that at least, The River of Souls looks like a Babylon 5 story (unlike "To Live and Die in Starlight" and to a certain extent Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales.). Also, I think this is one of Scoggins' best performances as Lochley. However, Martin Sheen's character, as Hypatia said, seemed drugged. I also thought the Ian McShane and Richard Biggs did very well in their roles. Not bad.

Many agree with you on that point, myself included. And they had a good guest star to work with, and completely wasted him. Martin Sheen often plays rather subdued characters, but this one seemed... drugged.

An interesting premise that didn't unfold as entertainingly as I'd have hoped. I'm not sure why, either, but it just didn't seem to stand up to the rest of the series or the tv-movies.

Look at that opening in The River of Souls. THAT'S a B5 story. :D Now, go look at To Live and DIe in Starlight or Babylon 5- The Lost Tales - Over Here. Those two don't stand up to The River of Souls.

Probably because it could have worked as a 45 minute episode.

No, that was just the B-thread, the minor story, and so it's traditional B5, plus, it's funny.

Latest posts

Members online

Back