B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

View Poll Results: Infection
A -- Excellent 3 9.09%
B -- Good 12 36.36%
C -- Average 17 51.52%
D -- Poor 1 3.03%
F -- Failure 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 19th 15, 13:52   #31
Wulf
Commander

Re: EpDis: The War Prayer

[QUOTE=Lennier's Tears;451877]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
None of them have turned to murdering people for their beliefs though.
...That you know of.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th 15, 16:22   #32
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

I suppose that's true
Old October 9th 15, 18:54   #33
Dorvo
Lurker

I'm rewatching the series and just got to this one. I like the episode overall, and agree that it usefully extends the "anti alien paranoia" thread that eventually becomes so important to the story. The one drawback for me is Shaal Mayan. I find her patronizing and infuriatingly smug, getting snippy with Garibaldi as he's trying to investigate the attack on her, or lecturing Londo on the power of love (not that he couldn't use one--I just object to her tone, and her as the messenger). The worst is the final scene, where she and Delenn and G'Kar are tut-tutting about how full of hate the humans are "for no real reason." Well, lady, trying to exterminate your race has a tendency to tick you off a little. You'd think as a supposedly sensitive poet, she'd get that.

Still, it's a minor blemish in an otherwise good story in a sometimes blemished but overall amazing sci fi series.
Dorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th 15, 17:14   #34
Lennier's Tears
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorvo View Post
I'm rewatching the series and just got to this one. I like the episode overall, and agree that it usefully extends the "anti alien paranoia" thread that eventually becomes so important to the story. The one drawback for me is Shaal Mayan. I find her patronizing and infuriatingly smug, getting snippy with Garibaldi as he's trying to investigate the attack on her, or lecturing Londo on the power of love (not that he couldn't use one--I just object to her tone, and her as the messenger). The worst is the final scene, where she and Delenn and G'Kar are tut-tutting about how full of hate the humans are "for no real reason." Well, lady, trying to exterminate your race has a tendency to tick you off a little. You'd think as a supposedly sensitive poet, she'd get that.

Still, it's a minor blemish in an otherwise good story in a sometimes blemished but overall amazing sci fi series.
I don't find her annoying, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. She's definitely a bit smug here and there. I'm kinda glad I don't find her too annoying because that would take away from my enjoyment of the episode. I tend to be overly sensitive to characters I find annoying. Obviously they don't make the story bad or unrealistic, but I just can't get over how annoying they are ... It's worse with sneakily evil characters, they tend to stress me out.
Old July 16th 21, 12:14   #35
Moonface
Ranger

I read about the 4 horseman - link to Londo's wife in the Lurkers guide. They're speculating there, that Londo might be the 4th one: war.
I think the 4th one might be Adira: Sure, she herself is not playing an active role that leads to war. But: her assassination brought Londo so low, that he didn't care for anything anymore, which ultimately lead to the war...
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th 21, 04:47   #36
Karajorma
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
I read about the 4 horseman - link to Londo's wife in the Lurkers guide. They're speculating there, that Londo might be the 4th one: war.
I think the 4th one might be Adira: Sure, she herself is not playing an active role that leads to war. But: her assassination brought Londo so low, that he didn't care for anything anymore, which ultimately lead to the war...

Well technically Londo was married once before he married Timov. To the dancer he tells Garibaldi about. So we'd need a fifth horseman before it could be Adira since she wasn't his wife.

I still prefer the interpretation of Londo being War as it applies at the time time he said it, and not a few seasons later.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th 21, 08:37   #37
Moonface
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karajorma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonface View Post
Well technically Londo was married once before he married Timov. To the dancer he tells Garibaldi about. So we'd need a fifth horseman before it could be Adira since she wasn't his wife.

I still prefer the interpretation of Londo being War as it applies at the time time he said it, and not a few seasons later.
Well... If you replace "wife" with "significant other" then Adira is still in the game and her influence about his course of action if far greater than any of his other significant others.

And to dismiss anything that has payoff in a later season is of course possible, but I'm not sure that that's the best way of going about it in a show like B5
Old July 17th 21, 13:35   #38
Jan
Psi Cop

JMS did confirm that 'War' was Londo's arc just the other day:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...69009083346945
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th 21, 15:09   #39
Moonface
Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
JMS did confirm that 'War' was Londo's arc just the other day:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/stat...69009083346945
Ah, too bad. I liked the idea of Adira being the 4th horseman.