B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old July 13th 21, 23:49   #11
RommieSG
First One

Re: JMS has TWO new B5 related things in the works

Audio Drama just doesn't work as well here in the States. Big thing over in the UK with the Big Finish productions of Doctor Who and the like. I'd lean more towards the animation if you're going to involve previous cast members who are still with us.

A complete reboot though? Is there enough demand for it?
Old July 14th 21, 00:25   #12
Karajorma
Commander

There definitely is a demand for it. Just that the bar for a reboot is so high that very few people honestly believe a new show could clear it.

That said, a shitty reboot might actually be a good thing for the show. We'd all be pointing at the original and saying "Just watch that. It was so much better" and a few more people might actually listen to us.
Karajorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 21, 07:13   #13
Moonface
Ranger

I don't believe in a reboot of any kind. But I do think that there really might be something in the bushes: After all: they released the remastered version just now. Why make a remastered version, if a reboot is upon us? The remaster makes sense as an extra cash grab when something new is about to happen...
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 21, 09:33   #14
Ubik
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RommieSG View Post
A complete reboot though? Is there enough demand for it?
I think so... I mean, absolutely no one thought BSG needed to be resurrected, and that was a massive hit that crossed over into popular culture and made SF 'cool' again. I know a lot of people who don't give B5 the time of day due to the somewhat shaky acting and how dated it looks.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 21, 10:14   #15
Springer
Telepath

I guess, for the show to have any popularity with future generations, a reboot will be necessary at some point, or the show will just be forgotten. But one of the reasons that nu-BSG was a success was because it was written to be incredibly relevant to the situation at the time, a complete transformation from the original series.

B5, though, is still remarkably prescient to our modern times. Sometimes it feels like it was written last year, not 25 years ago. Any reboot, if it wants to be relevant, is just going to retread those same things, but as Karajorma says, the bar is set incredibly high, and would there be any point in just doing the same thing again?

That said, I'd be open to a reboot that follows the Babylon Prime storyline instead. It's kind of like the alternate history of B5 and there's not many outside of hardcore fans that know about it, so the storyline would be a surprise to most.
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 21, 10:52   #16
Moonface
Ranger

hmm... you're right. a reboot with a different storyline would be a possibility. Kinda like snowpiercer...
Moonface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 21, 10:59   #17
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
This stuff was all said with a totally straight face, and not many caveats were given. It was all big lights and bluster.

The caveats about 'street cred' came later when it became painfully clear it was never going to happen. It was presented in no uncertain terms as 'i'm going to write it' and Studio JMS are going to make it if WB pass on it. This is why I take any B5 announcements with a large truck load of salt. JMS loves hyperbole, especially his own.
As the one who was actually there, can I just say that your characterization of "not many caveats were given. It was all big lights and bluster. " is entirely off base? I don't have time to look at my report or find the video right now but JMS made it clear that X was supposed to happen. And Y was in the works and that based on those projects Studio JMS would be in a position to do a B5 movie. They were all mentioned at that time so you leaving them out is mischaracterizing what actually happened.

Was there spectacle to the announcement? Sure. That's kinda the whole point of SDCC, both presenting and attending, you know.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th 21, 16:48   #18
Ubik
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
This stuff was all said with a totally straight face, and not many caveats were given. It was all big lights and bluster.

The caveats about 'street cred' came later when it became painfully clear it was never going to happen. It was presented in no uncertain terms as 'i'm going to write it' and Studio JMS are going to make it if WB pass on it. This is why I take any B5 announcements with a large truck load of salt. JMS loves hyperbole, especially his own.
As the one who was actually there, can I just say that your characterization of "not many caveats were given. It was all big lights and bluster. " is entirely off base? I don't have time to look at my report or find the video right now but JMS made it clear that X was supposed to happen. And Y was in the works and that based on those projects Studio JMS would be in a position to do a B5 movie. They were all mentioned at that time so you leaving them out is mischaracterizing what actually happened.

Was there spectacle to the announcement? Sure. That's kinda the whole point of SDCC, both presenting and attending, you know.
I re-listened to the panel before leaving my comment. I find that JMS presents it very confidently, and says in no uncertain terms:

I will write the script next year (2015), I will offer it to WB, if WB pass we are making it and we have investors interested.

It's all said in quite strong terms, and myself, like a lot of others really got their hopes up. I realise it's all amped up to generate hype! Hence me being a bit cautious about new B5 stuff and rumours... but it's fun to chat. I think JMS has gotten better at leaving big announcements until contracts are inked and ready to go.

I do agree that he was clearly trying to grow momentum from Sense8 to get more projects off the ground. It's a shame Sense8 wasn't the smash hit we'd all hoped for.

Last edited by Ubik; July 14th 21 at 18:30.
Old July 14th 21, 23:18   #19
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
I re-listened to the panel before leaving my comment. I find that JMS presents it very confidently, and says in no uncertain terms:

I will write the script next year (2015), I will offer it to WB, if WB pass we are making it and we have investors interested.
You do know that the script was written, right? That seems pretty indicative that he was quite confident, as a seasoned pro like JMS doesn't generally write scripts on a whim.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th 21, 12:03   #20
Ubik
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:

You do know that the script was written, right? That seems pretty indicative that he was quite confident, as a seasoned pro like JMS doesn't generally write scripts on a whim.
I did not know the script was written! I followed it with interest, but never heard that. When did he announce that? Pretty cool. Any hints as to what form it took.

It also means he must have felt pretty confident about it happening as writers rarely draft anything without an agreement. Anyhow, enough of that. What are your thoughts Jan? Care to speculate as to what the two projects might be? What would you be most excited to see?

Last edited by Ubik; July 15th 21 at 12:06.