• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade Season 1 title

I just asked JMS:

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 10:54 AM
Subject: Attn. JMS - Season Titles

Each episode of B5 had a Season title. What would you have called Crusade's
season 1 if things had gone as planned?

insert mystic Kosh sounds here

"Failure"

I guess you missed my "if things had gone as planned."

So if things had gone as planned, it would have been "Failure" ??? If anything was a failure, it was the Rangers pilot. As it was aired, Crusade's season title would have been "Sabotaged by Inbred, Braindead Lifeforms from Atlanta." :mad:

Yeah, Ant, I look forward to the answer too, however, he'll most likely ignore the question.

Though I doubt we'd get an answer, we should also ask what the titles for the rest of the seasons would have been. :D

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, and I don't think JMS elected to answer it. :)

Nor do I think he'd be inclined to reveal any more episode titles than are already known. (Since S1 was intended to be a mix of both JMS and non-JMS episodes and arc/non-arc shows, chances are he didn't have titles planned for all 22, so some slots for which no script was ever started wouldn't have titles in any case.)

If he did plan on season titles, and if he intended to use one of the known episode titles, I suspect that it would have come down to one of three, each of which reflects an aspect of the main story that would have been covered in Year One: "The Needs of Earth", "The Rules of the Game" or "Value Judgments".

Regards,

Joe

I would have guessed "To the ends of the Earth."

B5 used the "key" or "pivotal" episode titles for its seasons.

Signs and Portents
Coming of Shadows
Point of no Return
No Surrender, No Retreat
Wheel of Fire (frankly I always wondered why he picked THIS one for Season 5)

His first unfilmed "arc" script was "To the Ends of the Earth" and could very well serve as giving one a good idea of what the FIRST season was mainly about --- looking for a cure for the plague, while also being an episode that shows you a hint of what the REAL Story is going to be. (Signs and Portents did this for B5).

My money would be on that title for S1 name.

My guess is "Each Night I Dream of Earth". If the Arc was to be a series of hunts then this title defines both the start and the end. Also the title does not really fit the episode.

I've seen it subtitled "The Needs of Earth" in a few places, but I don't know if that's official or not.

Back