• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dilbert in nod to Babylon 5

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
Dilbert, the fictional office employee that pretty much every employee can relate to, is a well known fan of Babylon 5.

In fact, it was Dilbert naming B5 as his favorite TV show that encouraged B5 producers at the time to invite creator Scott Adams to have a cameo on the show. Unsuprisingly, it was Dilbert's creator that was the fan of B5. So Adams appeared briefly in "Moments of Transition", asking for Garibaldi's help to locate a lost space dog.

So it comes as no big surprise today that Dilbert given a small nod to B5. Although the reference in question isn't exclusively B5, it's a safe bet that Adams was inspired by our favorite Vorlon.

Check out the comic strip in question here:

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20030314.html

I've seen that before... and didn't like it. Just saw the one today, and it's just not funny for me.. and I don't get it I suppose.

But that's what humor's all about.
grin.gif

I have had a recurssion go wrong, but that strip still doesn't do it for me. For one thing, "LOL" is an abbreviation, not an acronym.
smile.gif
(It isn't as though people go around saying "loll".)

Also the guy can't draw. The strip reminds me (painfully) of Gary Trudeau's earliest days on Doonesbury, when the strip was running in the Yale Daily News.

Dilbert's humor generally derives from corporate politics and human behavior (mostly stupid - that is to say, typical - behavior.) Technology mostly takes a back seat to these things because Scott Adams recognizes that technology, as a rule, is not funny. (Many of the technology jokes in Dilbert are actually illustrations of this fact, as the engineers look stupid laughing about technological arcana that no normal person understands.)

"Humor. It's such a subjective thing." - Emperor Cartagia

Regards,

Joe

Yes, that was a good Dilbert strip, Antony.
laugh.gif

I have a fondness for Dilbert. No matter what your area of employment it, you can relate to Dilbert.
grin.gif

I was going to mention that it was in a recent Doonsburry comic, too. I wonder what the original source actually is.

For one thing, "LOL" is an abbreviation, not an acronym.
smile.gif
(It isn't as though people go around saying "loll".)

That was exactly what made it funny to me. :p

I don't read UF anymore (maybe I should!) but I guess it appeals more to geeks and those that hang out with geeks. ;)

Dilbert has a broader audience which is probably why it is so popular. However, I think that "Kosh" quote in that strip was a bit of a stretch.

I was going to mention that it was in a recent Doonsburry comic, too. I wonder what the original source actually is.

Well, Kosh has probably been using it for a very long time, so you could date it back to him a few thousand years ago.

I think it's too long ago what was the date? WEll, I mean it was too long ago for me to be able to get it through my usual comic strip web source. Do you remember the date?

Back