• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rant Time: Over Marketing of Shitty Movies

Some say Europe has become a more peaceful and loving place. When in fact, Europe has just ascended to a new level of evil.

This is so strange to me. I have always thought of Abba as an amorphous festering blob, with the intent, but not the ability, to blot out all real music. Mindless, yes, but evil? Hummm... I'll have to chew on that one for a while.

For its genre, I thought The Dark Knight was just fine. :p

In the old days, European nations fought deadly wars every few years.

Now we have the Eurovision Song Contest.

Some say Europe has become a more peaceful and loving place. When in fact, Europe has just ascended to a new level of evil.

Yet more truth in this thread. In the UK, we now even have a reality TV show in which the viewers get to judge and assess potential eurovision acts being grilled by judges over a period of weeks. Its all masterminded by the great Satan himself, Andrew Lolyd Webber. I would actually prefer actors plugging movies when they are supposed to be talking about sport.

Hopefully this year the British entry will be able to sing.

Has the Eurovision Song Contest produced a top 10 hit in the last decade?

Well speaking of over-marketing movies, Oscar nominations are out, and a movie whose trailer made me laugh because I thought it was a gag, about Brad Pitt aging BACKWARDS got the most nominations.

You know I shouldn't laugh, I'm sure it's very poignant and moving and about, you know, LIFE, and so forth, and zzzzzzzzzz......

Benjamin Button was actually a pretty damn good movie. :) But, I agree it was overmarketed. I can only watch Kate Blanchett's double do ballet moves in the moonlight so many times.

I heard it was basically a Forrest Gump rehash.

God I feel like I'm the only one who HATED that movie.
And really, I try not to hate entertainment things, but movies like this feel like the makers are trying to be rewarded for being "serious" and "poignant" by taking shortcuts.

A retard taught Elvis to dance... Oscar, please!

Yeah, there was a reason I absolutely loved Tropic Thunder...

I heard it was basically a Forrest Gump rehash.

Naw, I didn't see that at all. I see similarities in certain things like the voiceover (telling his own story,) and that it passes through a great deal of time (and includes a love story.) Other than that, I don't think it's another Forrest Gump.

I'm getting sick of the Slum Dog Millionaire ads. Seems like they are near-constant, are all cheering, and say nothing about the movie. I have no idea if the film is any good or not.

I saw Slum Dog Millionaire, it was quite good, but you would not be able to guess from the Ads.
Reportedly it is, in a Bollywood-unsubtle way.
Definitly. Thankfully, its not a musical.

Does it stray from the Bollywood tradition that says all films can be broken down into one of three basic plot arcs? (That's what they taught us in media college... and it sounds like a harsh criticism... except for the fact a counter claim has been made that Western cinema only has 7).

Does it stray from the Bollywood tradition that says all films can be broken down into one of three basic plot arcs? (That's what they taught us in media college... and it sounds like a harsh criticism... except for the fact a counter claim has been made that Western cinema only has 7).

That's probably why I like experimental films that have no plot whatsoever. :D

Back to the original topic of this thread and my rant:

Paul Blart: Mall Cop #1 again

Best quote, by far, from the article?

"Again, if Americans want Hollywood to make better quality movies, then they should stop showing up for crappy ones."

If the movie stinks, just don't go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3F3GiUUHxE

I dunno man- if the implication of the article is that it's a shame that Paul Blart and Underworld made more money than prestige films... well, look at those supposedly wonderful prestige films. Brad Pitt grows backwards. Something called "The Reader".... ooh, thrilling. Then a movie about an interview with a politician. Ok I'm a politics/history nerd so I'll end up watching it, but still. Then a biopic about a gay activist, which probably is like every other Hollywood biopic (that's why Dewey Cox is a so funny- the cadences and cliches of these movies are so predictable).

At least Paul Blart and Underworld are not hiding what they are- mindless nonsense. Like the 3 Stooges or something. To me, it's all silly entertainment. I mean, the one movie in that list I'm dying to see is The Wrestler, a movie about a freakin' wrestler, so who am I to pick on people who watch Kevin James fall on his fat ass.

January/February are known as the ultimate stinker months for movie releases. It comes right after the oscar contenders whisk in at the last minute and though some of those will boost their releases now (Especially before Oscar time,) most of what is released now is utter crap.

I mean, the one movie in that list I'm dying to see is The Wrestler, a movie about a freakin' wrestler, so who am I to pick on people who watch Kevin James fall on his fat ass.

With Mickey Roarke playing The Wrestler, "freakin" is the right word...
But I admit, it's the one film I would like to see as well, since it is directed by Aronofsky.

I want to see Frost/Nixon, but that film will be fine on cable or DVD.

I wouldn't mind seeing Milk, from personal curiosity, since I knew the lawyer (Doug Schmidt) who defended Dan White, when he was going to U of M. But, I hear the film ends before the trial.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back