• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

For all those who wonder about Scifi's true colors

For all those who wonder about Scifi\'s true colors

SCI FI Premiere:
BATTLEFIELD EARTH: A SAGA OF THE YEAR 3000 (LBX)

Don't believe what you've heard — you've got to SEE it to believe it! John Travolta (Pulp Fiction, Look Who's Talking, Michael) takes a villainous turn in this adaptation of L. Ron Hubbard's SF novel about a diabolical race of aliens who have achieved global domination — and of the scrappy, rebellious humans who are trying to fight their way to freedom. You dare not miss the cavemen in fighter jets! The cast includes Forest Whitaker (Species, Phenomenon), Barry Pepper (The Green Mile) and Travolta's wife, Kelly Preston (Jack Frost, From Dusk Till Dawn).

Airs Saturday, January 11, at 9PM & 1AM ET/PT*

Re: For all those who wonder about Scifi\'s true colors

You dare not miss the cavemen in fighter jets!

I suddenly wish Antony had a "shuddering" emoticon.

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

This is it. The Sci-Fi channel has officially lost it, flipped it's collective lid, proven itself to be a few cents short of a dollar.

Battlefield Earth is at least science fiction. The stuff about its reputation may simply mean - we know that the film is crap, making it cheap, it is the only one Sci-Fi could afford.

AMS I seriously doubt that was the message that the skiffy channel intended to convey.

Probably not Hypatia but I suspect that it was what the reviwer was thinking.

Yes, that is true.

The problem is, if the skiffy channel actually makes decent ratings with their current programming, then we can kiss the hope of real science fiction on television goodbye. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My only message was that they program crap. They always have and always will. From the very first time they came on the air, with sh*t like manimal and gemini man.

I actually want to see it, just to know how bad it really is. My problem is I keep watching good movies instead. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Broadcasting BE could be cool if they sort of did it mockingly- like if they have people making a couple of jokes about during commercial breaks. USA and TNT used to, I don't know if they do anymore, do that with B-movies and the like.

They could have an Ed Woods night or something.

Hell, even I would tune in for that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Plan 9 From Outer Space...

(Whatever-the-heck-his-cross-dressing-movie-was-called)...

Yea, I think I'd tape those suckers. I have a very sick friend right now who could use the laughs, without a doubt. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Plan 9 From Outer Space...

That is the name of Wood's most famous film, but I think you're confused- Ed Wood cross-dressed in his personal life, I don't think he ever filmed anything like that.

Plan 9 is an alien invasion / zombie flick.

Old Mighty, I think he did, I just can't remember its name.

It was most notably not noticed. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Edna? I just can't remember.

Um, dude.

Battlefield Earth was the only movie where I actually asked for a refund - and they gave it to me.

GKE, you can check out Ed Wood dressed as a woman wearing angora sweaters in Glen Or Glenda?, a semi autobiographical Ed Wood film, which I think was portrayed in Tim Burton's film, Ed Wood. G Or G was his first film. The very funny 1994 bio of EW, called Look Back In Angora is available in VHS. Check it out if you can find it.

I got an idea from reading one of your posts here -- I HAVE (SHUDDER!) seen Battlefield Earth, -- which is that the MST3K folks should do another film and skewer B E, since it IS awful, instead of This Island Earth, which was great for it's era. I've got my interrociter working! Where is Mr. Exeter? (References to This Island Earth)

Wow! BE! I'll get to skip it AGAIN!

Are you perhaps thinking of that movie with... was it Dustin Hoffman?

No, GK of the KR, she was thinking of Ed Wood's cross dressing movie, Glen Or Glenda, as I said in my post. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, thanks JJ. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It was Glen or Glenda.

What I'd like to know is just how did he manage to fund all of the terrible movies he made? Considering the trouble that people like JMS have selling good material, how could this guy have made so many movies?

And not just JMS, Orson Wells also said that movie making simply required too much money-raising. So how did Ed Woods manage? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Re: For all those who wonder about Scifi\'s true co

Didn't he make movies as cheaply as possible or something like that?

Oh, yes. But that's still tens of thousands of dollars, I'd guess. Not exactly pocket change.

Knight Rider is also returning to sci-fi at 4PM which was the proposed spot for B5. There is supposedly a new Knight Rider production in the works as well.

Ah, speaking of cheap. Knight Rider. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Just what the skiffy channel needs right now. Some show of class. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back