• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Similarities between B5 and Game of Thrones

Springer

Regular
The more I think about it, the more similarities I see between B5 and Game of Thrones, both in terms of its narrative structure and its plot lines. This is a somewhat long, meandering and rambling post that’s not much more than a stream of consciousness, so I apologise now!

(Don’t read if you’ve not seen the final episode of GoT season 5!)

Narrative structure: Both are novels for TV – well okay, A Song Of Ice and Fire are real novels whereas B5 wasn’t – but the point is they both follow the structure of novels, introduction, rising action, complications, conclusion and denouement, as JMS was fond of pointing out. We know which parts of B5 fit this structure, and in Game of Thrones we’re in the ‘complications’ stage, the Hour of the Wolf, where everything goes wrong, the good guys are falling like skittles and the idiots seem to be in charge. GoT has opted to go really dark for this stage, which I think will make it that much more joyous when our heroes turn things around. I think one of the things that has hampered this is on GoT is that our heroes are spread all over Westeros and Essos and are not able to unite yet, whereas on B5 they were all in one place. But I do have to smile at a lot of the hysteria on the Internet with viewers saying the plot is just dark for the sake of it, and that GRRM and the TV show writers want to write a story with no hope. Yeah it’s darker than almost anything else on TV because it likes pushing the boundaries, but it’s part of the narrative structure. I think we’ve reached rock bottom now, and the only way is up - though of course it may be a slow, gradual fight back against the forces of evil.

Plot lines: If I didn’t know better I’d say that GoT was a medieval retelling of B5! We’ve got a fractured kingdom where all the houses are going to war with each other, but an ancient enemy lurks in the ‘shadows’ waiting to strike when everyone is at their weakest. Meanwhile, a ‘Lord of Light’ (Vorlons) seems to want to oppose the ancient enemy, but takes its own rather dubious actions and uses others (the Red Priests) as proxies. And trapped in the middle, are the people of Westeros. The Iron Throne is a poisoned chalice, everyone is fighting for it but to what end? But when faced with a common enemy it will take someone to unite the warring factions and fight back and then create a new peace. Much like Sheridan had to die to have his epiphany and be reborn as a person who could bring about this new peace with a new Alliance, I’m not surprised at all that Jon Snow also has to die – the story pretty much demands it. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he has an epiphany as to what it’s all about and what his role is while he’s in purgatory. When Sheridan came back there was a cost; I wonder what the cost to bring Jon back will be (unless it has already been paid with the death of Shireen, but I think there has to be a personal cost to Jon otherwise it will feel too easy). And like in B5 Sheridan was only one third of ‘The One’, in GoT Dany is the other part of the equation, particularly given L+R = J.

(By the way, there are some people that grumble Jon Snow is a boring character, but I think his apparent death and having to wait 10 months to see if he really is dead has really made his character now – I can’t remember, was there ever any doubt as to whether Sheridan might be dead after Z’Ha’Dum?)

Interestingly, I also don’t think that all the conflict in Westeros at the exact time the Others have come back is a coincidence. I’m calling it now: Littlefinger, who seems to be the source of much of the chaos, is GoT’s Morden, and is working with the Others.

So I predict that at the end of it all, a new alliance will be forged across Westeros, a new democracy with an elected president (Tyrion?) and a council with members from each of the great houses, much like how B5’s story ended with the forging of the Interstellar Alliance. B5’s story was ultimately about creating that new empire, and I think GoT will be too.

There’s even similarities between both JMS and GRRM. Both had similar backgrounds, I guess, both studied journalism, both worked on The Twilight Zone (did they work on it at the same time - presumably they know each other?), both got fed up with not being able to write exactly what they wanted for TV (GRRM’s solution was to go back to writing novels, JMS’ solution was to become a show-runner so he could do what he wanted), and A Game of Thrones debuted around the same time as B5. I’m not saying there was any kind of plagiarism involved or anything, I just find it interesting that apparently similar stories came from similar backgrounds at around the same time – must have been the zeitgeist at the time.

And then that brings me to the proposed B5 remake – oh for B5 to have had the budget of GoT! From that point of view I can definitely understand why JMS wants another crack at B5. Would you want a new B5 to be as dark or extreme as GoT can be? The only thing I can think of in B5 that comes close to the horrible things that happens on GoT is G’Kar’s treatment under Cartagia.

I’m not sure what my ramble has accomplished, but hopefully there’s a few discussion points about both B5 and GoT in there somewhere!

Would you want a new B5 to be as dark or extreme as GoT can be? The only thing I can think of in B5 that comes close to the horrible things that happens on GoT is G’Kar’s treatment under Cartagia.

I haven't watched (one season) or read (two books) enough of GoT to qualify to have an opinion but I have seen some so I have a definite answer to that one question: NO!!! A thousand times NO! I gave up after one season of GoT and after a season and a half of the new Battlestar Galactica because of the unrelenting grimness. I don't mind seriousness but those two shows take things far too extreme for my taste. It's just not entertainment for me. With B5, at least you could count on an Ivanova quip or something to relieve the tension from time to time.

Jan

I agree, many similarities in structure, character development, and bringing previously unrelated elements together, among others. The White Walkers especially remind me of the legend of the Shadows, an ancient, mysterious threat that has been sleeping for thousands of years and so forth. I really love Game of Thrones, I haven't been this head-over-heels for a tv series since B5, which is still my favorite. Thrones is now my second favorite.

It is a bit grim, yes. Babylon 5 was very grim in many ways, but it was certainly balanced out with humor, wonder, redemption and above all, hope. I think B5's spirit, if you will, is unique, and I also would not want to see it go any darker just because that's what sells these days. I have always liked dark stories, but I think it's weird that everyone else seems to like them now, too. I find it troubling that society has gone in this direction. There never seems to be enough rape, torture and murder in our entertainment nowadays, and that is not healthy.

The new Battlestar was grim and dark, too, but I didn't mind it except for the prolonged torture scenes that were pretty gratuitous and pointless. I thought Dirk Benedict's explanation for why he was not a fan was spot-on, because they took a show that was about family and hope and turned it into a story about despair and sexual violence. I dismissed a lot of that as irrelevant. What kept me from loving the remake was that for everything they did that was great or intelligent, there was at least one other thing that was really stupid, or overly dramatic, because again, that's what sells. The characters, who are supposedly fighting a war together, jumped in and out of bed with someone new seemingly every week, felt betrayed by one another, lost trust forever, gained trust back... It just went on and on that way, like any old soap opera, where loyalties shift back and forth at the whims of writers who are probably out of ideas. But don't worry, I'm sure it will get remade again. And again...

Raw Shark

"One more drink, a nervous breakdown,
Then another war..."
Zakk Wylde, 'The Blessed Hellride'

Last edited:
ah Game of Thrones....

For White Walkers think Shadows. For followers of the Lord of Light think Vorlons. Everyone else stuck in the middle, with the many faced god (Lorien) watching on.

I dunno if there are any similarities tho......

ah Game of Thrones....

For White Walkers think Shadows. For followers of the Lord of Light think Vorlons. Everyone else stuck in the middle, with the many faced god (Lorien) watching on.

Nah, the equivalent of Lorien would be one of the First Men (could the analogies with B5 be any more literal?) or the Three Eyed Raven, the bloke that Bran found sitting inside the tree at the end of season 4. I'm assuming he's one of the First Men.

ah Game of Thrones....

Nah, the equivalent of Lorien would be one of the First Men (could the analogies with B5 be any more literal?) or the Three Eyed Raven, the bloke that Bran found sitting inside the tree at the end of season 4. I'm assuming he's one of the First Men.

Assuming, but, I always thought of him as being almost 'The One' esque, not one of the first men. The Three Eyed Raven maybe being a position that carries on through different people. Much like someone must take charge of the great machine on epsilon 3, there must be a three eyed raven.

I'm assuming (I could be wrong) that the many faced god is kind of stuck in the middle of all the death happening on GOT.

Then again you could be right.

Assuming, but, I always thought of him as being almost 'The One' esque, not one of the first men. The Three Eyed Raven maybe being a position that carries on through different people. Much like someone must take charge of the great machine on epsilon 3, there must be a three eyed raven.

I'm assuming (I could be wrong) that the many faced god is kind of stuck in the middle of all the death happening on GOT.

Then again you could be right.

Yes, that does make sense, that Bran would take over the mantle of the Three Eyed Raven from the old man, like Draal took over the Great Machine.

Of course, if we're taking our analogies with B5 to their extreme, Bran will then open up a time warp to allow Tyrion and company to travel through time and steal some dragons to take a 1000 years previous to win the last great war with the White Walkers. Or maybe not.

Seriously though, and I'm going to have to re-read Joseph Campbell as I'm a bit fuzzy on the details of the Hero's Journey and I'd like to compare it to GoT, but GRRM has also spoken about writing a series on the same level as The Lord of the Rings, and JMS also spoke about how LOTR influenced B5. But if GoT does prove to have a similar story to B5, and the signs are that it might, I wonder if in 50-100 years people will be talking about the narrative and structure of GoT (and B5, for those that remember it) in the same way we talk about LOTR now (although I'm sure LOTR will still be popular in the future).

As for the Many Faced God, I have no idea what the deal is with it, and maybe it isn't a real god at all, but some kind of weird ideal that the people of the House of Black and White live to. Either way, it doesn't seem impassive like Lorien was, and assassinations don't seem like Lorien's MO.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back