B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 24th 11, 10:34   #31
Demonn
First One

Re: The Hobbit (& its sequel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonn View Post
It's about time they worked out those legal issues... I hope this turns out super awesome if not as well done as LotR.
Um. Last I heard, principal shooting was due to commence in February so I find it a bit odd you are musing over that.
Never saw this thread until yesterday... so last I heard or saw they were still squabling over the legal crap.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd 12, 19:04   #32
Demonn
First One

For those of you that aren't paying attention to such things... or are and want to talk about it. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey comes out December 14th... we've got about a week yet. I'm not as pumped about it as I was LotR. Not a fan of Dwarves I guess. I like Elves, never read the book, but I think there's a battle with Elves and Dwarves against Orcs toward the end.

That part will probably be in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug though, which comes out next year...
Old December 3rd 12, 23:32   #33
vacantlook

I don't know but if I had to take a guess, I would imagine that part one is going to end with the dwarves being captured by the elves in Mirkwood, leaving Bilbo all on his own. But that's just a guess as it would be a decent cliffhanger ending for the first film.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 12, 03:11   #34
RW7427

I read the book. It wasn't quite up to par with LOTR, but I still enjoyed it. I almost never go to the movies, but I would go see this one.
Old December 6th 12, 00:58   #35
vacantlook

I actually like The Hobbit book better than The Lord Of The Rings books. I had to literally make myself finish LOTR; it annoyed me how it could spend a page and a half talking about what day of the month it was but only took a quarter of a page between Gandalf arriving at Helm's Deep to the end of the battle.
Old December 6th 12, 11:27   #36
RW7427

I skipped over a lot of the boring parts of LOTR when I was reading it.
Old December 12th 12, 05:29   #37
vacantlook

I didn't realize until just now reading about it that they're doing The Hobbit as 3 (three) films. I thought it was two, which I thought was stretching it. But three? How is that going to happen. There's not really enough for three; that's really stretching it beyond my comprehesion.
Old December 12th 12, 13:51   #38
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I didn't realize until just now reading about it that they're doing The Hobbit as 3 (three) films. I thought it was two, which I thought was stretching it. But three? How is that going to happen. There's not really enough for three; that's really stretching it beyond my comprehesion.
Yea, he was aiming for two, but, found himself in trouble for screen time to get everything in, so, they greenlit a third movie.

I've seen this debate quite a bit. Apparently, The Hobbit has quite a bit in it, but, said with few words, versus The Lord of The Rings, which says it with a boatload of words. So, there's a lot glossed over and mentioned in passing in the book that Jackson will be able to flesh out. Apparently the book doesn't give you much on most of the Dwarves, other than names, if you're gonna have 10 or 12 Dwarves on the screen, you need to flesh them out at least some. Plus the appendices has some stuff too, that is one or two lines, but, could apparently can easily be fleshed out into considerably more screen time than 1 or two lines. The big War is apparently only given a page or two in the book (or half a page), yet, look at how much screen time was given to wars in LotR.

So, those who aren't worried about it being "Stretched out with filler" think it's a good thing that Jackson will be fleshing stuff out better then the book allows for

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Last edited by Sindatur; December 12th 12 at 15:05.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th 12, 18:56   #39
Demonn
First One

So... did anybody go see it yet? How was it?
Old December 20th 12, 04:12   #40
Gul Re'jal
Lurker

I did and I liked it. It was long but it didn't feel long or boring to me. Nice soundtrack I read someone complaining in a review about special effects (that they weren't so special), but I didn't notice anything annoying. But then, maybe I just didn't pay attention to the special effects but to the story instead and ignored all imperfections
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote