• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Something to Think About For Those Complaining About the Lack of DVD Features...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sputnik:
hell if people are interested in a better picture alone then why did betamax die and vhs prevail? the former was a superior format, the latter won out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and Beta become the butt of jokes, as in a lot of Married With Children episodes.
frown.gif

Background: I currently have Super-Beta (two HiFi decks, one of which is a top of the line Sony), VHS (HQ), SVHS, Laserdisc, and DVD. At one time I even had CED Disc.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sputnik:
...(and even there a bare bones release is often followed a year or so later with an extras packed SE). this release could be setting up the market for the entire series to be released on DVD.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! This release of The Gathering/In the Beginning could be redone later, with DVD extras, without too much trouble.

Hopefully, when they start putting out Season Sets of the B5 Episodes, and future releases of the B5 movies, there will be extras.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Finally got all my DVDs entered in my database, and put in alphabetical order in a near perfectly sized bookcase. I'm finally organized!

The CD's are next.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, dude, you're as anal as I am. I recently did that with my 800 CDs. Let's just say, it took a while.

Yeah, I guess they could re-release this as a special edition at some point down the line. Heck, they do it with every other movie out there- regular edition, Special Edition, Ultimate Edition, Deluxe Edition, etc, etc.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Wow, dude, you're as anal as I am. I recently did that with my 800 CDs. Let's just say, it took a while.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, prior to this I had a hard time finding anything in my DVD collection.
blush.gif
Order is nice, and after all, I am a Vorlon.
laugh.gif

I also have to do this for my Beta and VHS tapes...
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
...and that's really going to take awhile.

I have about as many CDs as you, and about that many Beta L-750's with at least two movies on each of them, a lot of them in Super-Beta HiFi. A lot of the CD and Videotape info is already entered, but I didn't keep it up to date. So, I've got to go through and do a complete inventory.
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I tried to do that with my books once... I think I managed to enter the whole of two books into the database before I gave up.
laugh.gif

What can I say? I'm too impatient to be orderly.
laugh.gif

At least with my CDs and videos I know exactly where everything is... but then, I don't have thousands and thousands of them, unlike books.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Well, I guess that's where I differ from you other freaks. I don't have very few books, because I figure I can always borrow one from the library. Actually, the ones I do have are mostly about music.

I don't have lots of DVDs either, and no videos.

All my spending money goes towards purchasing music. After all, it's not my fault that Charles Mingus released so many albums!
crazy.gif

Anyway, back to the topic, I expected this reaction about the DVD. When there was nothing, everyone was all, "Oh golly, if they just release it on DVD, that would be so great." Now that one is out, here comes all the bitching that it's not good enough.

Ya know the comic-book store guy from the Simpsons? "Worst episode ever." We are that guy. Ech.

"Oh, I've wasted my life."

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Finally got all my DVDs entered in my database, and put in alphabetical order in a near perfectly sized bookcase. I'm finally organized!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried DVD Proflier? Intervocative Software

It is a locally running application that updates from a web-based database. You enter the title (or the UPC number) and it fills in all the information (including cover-scans) for you. If you have one of those free UPC scanners that Radio Shack was given away you can scan the UPC and enter a disc in seconds.
smile.gif

Very cool stuff. You can also store your collection on their website, which not lets others view it, but comes in handy if you switch computers or something damages the database file - you have an off-site back up from which to restore it.

It even lets you keep track of discs you've lent to friends, and reminds you when they're due back.
laugh.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
"Due back?" I didn't think that phrase was in friends and relatives vocabularies.
wink.gif
My cousin Joyce still has the video of Space Cowboys that she borrowed in ~July.
shocked.gif
I'm thinking of kidnapping it back, and seeing if and when she ever notices.
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the best bit, of course, is when you finally retrieve the relevant dvd/vhs/cd/book after 6 long months only to be told: "but i haven't watched/listened/read it yet!"...

cheers!

------------------

Having watched the DVD on a home theater system I can say that it is great. Not as good as a Dolby 5.1 remix could be but much betterthen tv. While I would have loved to have JMS commentary and other extras I am happy with what I can get. Other DVDs have been relased barebones and then rereleased with extas. Dogma is one that comes to mind. The studios like it because they get you once buying the first edition. The release a special edition raise the price and get you agian. But if it means more B5 on DVD I will definatly pay again. Things are starting to look up for B5 and if it goes well we could have a theatrical movie, a new series. B5 on DVD and who knows what else.

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

I think we got a very nice 2-hour extra called In the Beginning.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Modane:
I think we got a very nice 2-hour extra called In the Beginning.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, I like it...
laugh.gif

Not that I won't buy a new edition if they do rerelease with some additional extras.

Then again, I'm such a nut I bought a second copy of this DVD (through B5LR, Antony
smile.gif
) to keep sealed up, or give as a present if someone's really REALLY good this Xmas...

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Have you tried DVD Proflier?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Very cool stuff. You can also store your collection on their website, which not lets others view it, but comes in handy if you switch computers or something damages the database file - you have an off-site back up from which to restore it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm a long-time Foxpro user and can do the stuff in my sleep. You know how JMS has B5 struck him in the shower? Programming code sometimes hits me in the shower, or when I first wake up in the morning. Also, I'm good about backing stuff up.

Still, I might just use DVD Proflier as an information source.
smile.gif
DVD makers always seem to put the info on the DVD case in different places and in as small a font as possible.

It even lets you keep track of discs you've lent to friends, and reminds you when they're due back.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Due back?" I didn't think that phrase was in friends and relatives vocabularies.
wink.gif
My cousin Joyce still has the video of Space Cowboys that she borrowed in ~July.
shocked.gif
I'm thinking of kidnapping it back, and seeing if and when she ever notices.
tongue.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited December 12, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back