• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Question about Anna S.

Alexa

Regular
When she turned up on B5, she had scaring that matched the cyber implants found on the telepaths that Bestor got back from the Shadows. Does this mean Anna was a telepath? They didn`t say on the show she was, but said she was plugged in to one of the ships. So what gives?

The Shadows used living beings, such as humans, to control their ships; Anna was one of these. But the Shadows realized that their ships were vulnerable to telepaths. To counter this, they decided to get some telepaths of their own, but thanks to Bester and our heroes they never did.

So no, Anna wasn't a telepath. She wore the same gear the telepaths did, but that's all. We're most familiar with that gear through looking at the teeps, but you don't have to be a teep to run a Shadow ship.

Ah...I was thinking you had to be a telepath to run one of the ships. Now I get it. Thanks KoshFan!

So, the Shadows had always used other races to control their ships? They were one of the 'First Ones', so what controlled their ships when they were a young race? If they can run their ships, why get other races to run them at all?

I expect their technology has advanced a bit since the old days; the systems probably worked differently, long ago. As to why use younger races... well, it seems like a pretty invasive/destructive process. (Justin says "once you're in one of those ships, you're never quite whole again" -- and this is after the Shadows themselves pull you out!) Plus there aren't a lot of Shadows left, I'm thinking, and as such they might prefer to put others on the front line, rather than go themselves.

Or I could be misreading that entirely; the Shadows do love chaos, they may be less cautious than I think.

So, the Shadows had always used other races to control their ships? They were one of the 'First Ones', so what controlled their ships when they were a young race? If they can run their ships, why get other races to run them at all?

I don't doubt that the Shadows ran their own ships just fine, in the beginning. But, why perform a menial task, when they can adapt a 'lower' race to do it?

As to why use younger races... well, it seems like a pretty invasive/destructive process. (Justin says "once you're in one of those ships, you're never quite whole again"

I doubt that the process is so invasive and destructive, when a Shadow runs a ship. But, to adapt a younger race, probably many irreversible changes are necessary.

Plus there aren't a lot of Shadows left, I'm thinking, and as such they might prefer to put others on the front line, rather than go themselves.

This is also a consideration, I would agree.

I was forgetting there were likely fewer of the Shadows now. True, why put your own 'people' on the front line when others work just as well...or in the case of telepaths, better.

Guess. Initially animals from their home world. When they needed a more intelligent CPU other First Ones like the Vorlons. There could be a good reason the eternal war started.

Guess. Initially animals from their home world. When they needed a more intelligent CPU other First Ones like the Vorlons. There could be a good reason the eternal war started.
Interesting thought that never even occurred to me. I do seem to recall that I got the impression (not sure wether it's an accurate one) that the Shadows were at least slightly older than the Vorlon.

Not sure it makes sense that they used Vorlon though, since they had a "divorced parents fighting over how to raise the kids" relationship, but, definitely an interesting thought

I do seem to recall that I got the impression (not sure wether it's an accurate one) that the Shadows were at least slightly older than the Vorlon.
I found a JMS post where he says that the Shadows are slightly older than the Sigma 957 Walkers but I can't find anything on comparative ages for the Shadows and Vorlons.

Jan

I could see the Vorlons being one of the youngest of the Old Ones, if you follow me -- the most brash and the most confidant and the most proud. Also more willing to hang around the galaxy a bit longer when everyone else took off.

But that's just based on a feeling, nothing more... and there's plenty of evidence against this, too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back