• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

uh-oh....this doesn't sound good.

Re: uh-oh....this doesn\'t sound good.

...The female intelligence officer is a male role in drag. They will have to pick an actress that can do it; some can only play the girlfriend.
... The guest roles cover the name stars and mistresses so they are not valid reasons.

What is this girlfriend and mistresses talk of yours? :confused:

That they are looking for someone to fill in for Galen... makes it plausible that they *will* substitute any original character.

Perhaps, without the information having reached us, they are actually looking for substitutes for other characters too. I am certain that Joe Random will make an excellent Londo, and Jane Random will easily pass for Delenn.

Sorry, Warner... I have yet to receive information of Peter Woodward refusing your offer. Unless I receive that, you may forget my contribution to ticket or DVD sales.

The word about Peter's other commitments comes from his own personal site...and thus is not suspect. Considering it is clear by his site's info that his film will be shooting at the same time as TMoS, one can conclude that he was not available to return to the role of Galen.

http://www.peterwoodward.com/

CE

Thanks for telling. In that case, perhaps a small chance exists... that they haven't decisively blundered... yet?

http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/audition_newlisting.html

...The female intelligence officer is a male role in drag. They will have to pick an actress that can do it; some can only play the girlfriend.
... The guest roles cover the name stars and mistresses so they are not valid reasons.
What is this girlfriend and mistresses talk of yours? :confused:
Real life.

In most films the lead female plays the girl friend. Any actress that got to the top can play this role in her sleep.
The female lead in TMoS is "Diane Baker". She sounds more like the detective than the love interest to me. That means that the actress actually has to be able to act.

http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/audition_newlisting.html
is the official casting call. Inside show business the movie now exists. I suspect Warner Brothers will want to include the names of the actors in the official public announcement.

Mistresses.

The traditional way to get a role in Hollywood is to sleep with the director; at least according to actresses who cannot act. There is even a film about making films called "The Mistresses".

Reviewing the sentence I wrote it may have been better to say.
“The guest roles provide parts for name stars and the casting team’s mistresses. So these are not valid reasons for recasting the existing roles.”

No, no AMS. I just shouldn't stay up until Midnight right after a semester ends. I have fuzz on the brain this morning. :LOL:

I get you now. And yes, I would be very surprised to see a typical, shallow "girlfriend" role in any of JMS's projects. Thankfully, he is actually a man who can write very good female characters. Well, I shouldn't say man here. I think even J.K. Rowling could improve in that department. But JMS really has it mastered pretty well.

If I thought it would do any good, I would write a second letter and mail it today. I'd basically say that recasting roles if the actors are not actually available is one thing, and perfectly acceptable to me. But the fewer of the original cast that are in this project, the less likely I will be to drive fourty minutes north to see the thing in the theater, or to pay good money to buy the DVD of it when it comes out. :(

Crusade, Rangers, and now this. You know, I won't be sorry to see this year end. In many ways it's been pretty shitty.

The word about Peter's other commitments comes from his own personal site...and thus is not suspect. Considering it is clear by his site's info that his film will be shooting at the same time as TMoS, one can conclude that he was not available to return to the role of Galen.

http://www.peterwoodward.com/

CE

The timing sucks beyond belief. :( to the 100th power.

Oh, well. Perhaps we could establish a new B5 casting tradition, on par with the spirit of Ed Wasser. * The character of Galen is played by Peter Woodward in every other film, and by Bruce Willis in the other ones. Eh, no, wait. He'll be playing Garibaldi.

Alternatively, for consitency, they could refer to that "hideous scouring accident" or some such to explain why his face looks different.

Seriously, though, Peter Woodward was on the top of my list of Crusade cast members that I wanted to see kept. I actually mentioned him in my letter, along with Andreas Katsulas, Peter Jurasik and Mira Furlan. Even worse, he's more central to this plot than those other three.

And I really liked the Technomage trilogy too... :(

*: Both Ed Wasser and Marjean Holden played a smaller role in the "pilots" and came back as regulars in the main series, playing an entierly different role.

JMS should give up on the idea of doing B5:TMoS as a feature film and instead just do it as a series of novels. That way, you don't need actors, and there are no scheduling conflicts. The more people that are needed, the greater the liklihood that there will be mutually exclusive schedules.

Aw hell, I'll just be happy with what we've got so far, and consider it over. Seems like no matter which way we turn, we're always fighting frickin' city hall.

There's something that I just don't understand. How many star-characters can you have in one movie ?

Those casting calls mention 3 new characters as central in Memory of Shadows. Galen is another one and, quite obviously from the story elements we're getting, Lochley is, too.
There's just no way you can have that and still have Sheridan, Delenn, Susan, or even more so G'Kar or Londo as central characters in this movie.

I certainly don't want a recast Babylon 5 movie and won't buy a ticket to see that. But I'm not sure at all that I'm interested in some kind of spin-off movie with cameos from the main characters of the Babylon 5 story.

This is what all this is suggesting, and seems rather backed up by the event of the past year. I was surprised that actors seemed to have been contacted so late in the process (see the Jerry Doyle thing and those very recents declarations by Peter Jurassik) but it starts to work very well if most of them are only required for blink-and-miss participation that can easily be written out.

That project was always presented as a reward to both the fans and the actors that supported that show and made it possible years after years.
The more information gets out, the hardest it becomes to see it that way.

Maybe JMS now considers that he has no rewarding to do to actors that left his show (CC) or ones that loudly complained when it logically reached its programmed end (BB, JD)...
But, as far as I'm concerned, even if in the end Galen is the only recasted character (which is already a shame and shoud have caused a change of storyline anyway, imho) JMS as the writer of that movie has some serious explaining to do to convince me that this project has a point.

And by the way, I can understand the concept of clause of secrecy that woulf force JMS to stay mum on tMoS. But now that official casting calls are out on widely available websites, I'm not sure I understand how JMS would still have to keep silent when the movie *has* been made public by Warner?

And by the way, I can understand the concept of clause of secrecy that woulf force JMS to stay mum on tMoS. But now that official casting calls are out on widely available websites, I'm not sure I understand how JMS would still have to keep silent when the movie *has* been made public by Warner?
Warner Brothers will want to include the names of the actors in the press release. The main delay is probably negotiating how much to pay them and what changes they want to the script.

According to Richard Attenborough's website, Peter Woodward wrote the film Closing the Ring, he is not listed among the cast, however. This means he could probably do the movie. I can't think of who could portray Galen other than Peter, he is a unique actor and the role seems tailored for him.

By the way I'm new here, but I have been following the TMoS thing since the news broke.

I lived in three states while B5 was in syndication and chased it around local tv schedules the whole time. I invested a lot of my time following the show and I would really like to see this movie done right. I'm afraid that JMS will not have a free hand in this endeavour because it is a major investment by the studio and like it or not studios don't pay a lot of attention to fans. All you can do is write in and hope for the best. I am.

As for Starsky and Hutch. The show was on in 1975. It's been almost 30 years since then.

Other television shows that have been remade into movies...
Battlestar Galactica: 1978
Dukes of Hazzard: 1979
Lost in Space: 1965

Now, let's look at Babylon 5. 1994 through 1998.

While I see a huge difference in casting someone who was age 30 on a television show in the 70's and is now SIXTY, I do not see why it's a problem to cast someone who was starring in a show 5-6 years ago. So, whoever was making these comparisons to shows LIKE Starsky and Hutch, chew on that a little.

If what we're hearing is true, and the movie will be about new characters, with the old ones given cameos, then jms had better be writing a damned good story. I won't pay money to see another Legend of the Rangers -- or Thirdspace or River of Souls, for that matter.

Cmon, you know you want to see that chick doing her matrix ship-weaponry combat moves!

I don`t mind some new characters, after all the Crusade cast was new actors so was the lotr cast. But we still need the "old" characters. If this takes place in the B5 universe the leaders of the main powers and organisations are already fixed, as long as this isn`t som kind of AU shit.

I would rather have a TV mini-series than a movie because that would mean more hours of action on the screen and could moe easily lead to new tv-series.

A movie with big name actors - will any "big-name" movie-actor really be interested in reprising the role in a regular tv-serie ? And if the answer is no, then what ?

First of all, Tom Hobbes. The cast is the last thing to be negotiated. Usually about this point in the production. Even original casts. Hell, D Kelley once said that he would literally get a call about a week before production was scheduled to begin on the Star Trek films that said, "Hey, we're doing another one, it starts next week. Let's nail down your contract right quick." Until that point, he didn't know one was even in the works.

The cast is the last to know anything. So don't be surprised by how this is all happening now. And don't read too much into the "leaked" info coming out. That is crafted to accomplish several things, not the least of which is to manipulate the fans by releasing only partial information. So don't take any of these "leaks" as official or complete...they are not.

I have to hurry here so let me address trekgeezer. Just because PW wrote the film and is not acting in it doesn't mean he should be available. Most often the writer is present on set and handles all rewrites during production. Not to mention, as I stated before, if this were my script, my baby, and the great Sir Richard Attenborough were directing it...I would be there and nowhere else. So I have no problems with the fact that PW cannot play Galen.

Do not misunderstand me though...I still strongly wish he could, but in this case, I forgive him

CE

Question for the suits why bother risking your jobs over this? Every reviewer in the world now knows about the attempted recasting and will blame a poor film on the executives. The guest roles cover the name stars and mistresses so they are not valid reasons.

Every reviewer in the world? Do you really think Roger Ebert is lurking at this forum? ;)

That project was always presented as a reward to both the fans and the actors that supported that show and made it possible years after years.
The more information gets out, the hardest it becomes to see it that way.

Maybe JMS now considers that he has no rewarding to do to actors that left his show (CC) or ones that loudly complained when it logically reached its programmed end (BB, JD)...

Or maybe JMS's preference was for a movie that focused exclusively on the old characters, but WB wasn't interested in going that route. JMS might be more interested in honoring the original cast by giving them supporting roles than by not having the movie get made at all. Of course, then WB comes in and says "We'll keep those original characters, but we don't want to use the original actors after all."

Warner Brothers will want to include the names of the actors in the press release. The main delay is probably negotiating how much to pay them and what changes they want to the script.

Possibly, although there are plenty of situations in which movies have been announced well before any casting decisions have been made.

One last thing. Where in the world are AICN, Cinescape, and Scifi Wire in reporting all of this? They haven't said anything about either the recasting issue or any of the plot/character details that have come out since the original "Diane Baker" story. It's not as if they haven't been tipped off about it. Believe me, they have.

ScifiWire has most certainly reported the Diane Baker Plot rumor.

What I meant was the stuff *since* the Diane Baker plot rumor. Namely, the three different sources mentioning Joss Morgan, Tyrell, and the extensive plot information that I won't go into because I'm too lazy to put up a spoiler warning.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back