• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Mind War question

RW7427

Super Moderator
I just watched the ep Mind War tonight, and a thought occured to me that hadn't in all the times that I had watched it before.

Psi Corp was experimenting on Jason Ironheart to try to produce a stable telekentic that they could use as a weapon. Considering the fact that the Vorlons had created telepaths to use as weapons, I had this thought...

Why didn't Kosh take any interest in Ironheart while he was on B5? He's not even in this ep. I thought after watching this ep tonight that if the Vorlons were aware of what Ironheart had become, they might want to interfere somehow. But as we know, they do not.They were the ones that created telepaths in the first place, and it would seem to make sense to me that if they were aware of what the Corp had done to Ironheart, then they would have some kind of reaction.

Anyone have any thoughts? :)

Telekinetics, while rare, are not completely unheard of, so it is not like Ironheart was groundbreakingly new. Sure, he may have been a natural telepath, but by no means is he the most noteworthy of Psi Corps's experiments; besides, other races have no doubt synthesized a telekinetic.
Kosh is the X-Factor. Every appearance he makes is golden; however, if he were to make an appearnce in a strictly trivial Earth matter like this, it would have taken away from the greatness that is Kosh. Characters like Kosh must be used seldomly.
It is doubtful the Vorlons had much stock in one rogue telepath. From Kosh's point of view, Ironheart was a dying people; we should let him pass.

But don't you at least think that they might want to keep an eye on him or on Psi Corp now knowing that humans have reached the potential to create such beings?

Maybe Kosh just wasn't on the station during the time of "Mind War." He could have easily been back on Vorlon Prime or elsewhere in the galaxy for some reason or another. Or, perhaps Kosh did eventually have contact with Ironheart but only after Ironheart left Babylon 5. Maybe that's where Kosh was: off on his ship waiting somewhere away to have a meeting with Ironheart after departure from Babylon 5. Probably all sorts of explanations we could dream up.

Could have been pure arrogance. Kosh, though one of the good guys, was still a Vorlon. One telekenetic experiment would not unduly upset them. Look How they got involved in the war. Disdainfully brushing aside the alliance and destroying according to their own strategy. They viewed themselves a as power unto themselves and anything that the lesser races could produce could also be countered.
Besides they programmed Lyta as a doomsday weapon, who's to say that if things went wrong that they didn't have a failsafe in the genetic code they placed within the species.

Along those lines, I should think that Kosh would be at least as interested in Jason's evolution into some sort of Vorlon-like super being, as in his telekinetic powers. Kosh may well have been observing the whole thing, and may well have communicated with the higher form of Jason, after he left the station. For all we know, Jason WENT to the Vorlon homeworld!

That's my thought. Even if what Psi Corp did to Ironheart didn't peak the Vorlons' interest, I thought that at least Kosh would be somewhat interested.

For all we know, Jason WENT to the Vorlon homeworld!
Ya know, I was going to post something along these lines. Remember how Ironheart said something along the line that humans would see him again in a million years?

JMS doesn't through those lines in for laughs. JMS news is down so I cannot verify it.

For all we know, Jason WENT to the Vorlon homeworld!
Why of all places... should he choose a methane bath? :p

Kosh may well have been observing the whole thing, and may well have communicated with the higher form of Jason, after he left the station.
Higher or lower form... since I presume Kosh was no novice in telepathy... they could have been plausibly chatting half the time. :D

Higher or lower form... since I presume Kosh was no novice in telepathy... they could have been plausibly chatting half the time. :D

PLausible, true, but I think that if that were going on while Jason was still on the station, and in human form, we would have been given a hint, and I don't recall any such hints. One thinks that Kosh could well have made Jason's transition less painful and chaotic with a bit of Vorlon coaching. Seeing no evidence of this, but agreeing that Kosh would have an interest in Ironheart, conjecture about communication between the two seems more apt for time after Jason's transition, when we no longer see him. He might have wanted to go to the Vorlon homeworld to be with beings of similar power, to learn how to handle it, and may have known that Vorlons were responsible for telepathy in humans in the first place. If he couls survive in the vacuum of space, I doubt that a methane bath would bother him.

Why of all places... should he choose a methane bath? :p
i think it is worth remembering that we don't have any evidence that the Vorlon homeworld has a methane atmosphere. All we know is
1) Vorlons want the other races to believe that the Vorlon homeworld has a hostile atmosphere, and
2) that they can live in the atmosphere they impute to their homeworld.

For all we know, the VHW has a standard NO atmosphere.

If by NO you mean nitrogen-oxygen... I would agree. It would be possible just like methane.

However, for someone on the technical level of Vorlons... I would presume atmosphere to be... at most a matter of comfort (and certainly not survival).

If something does not matter too much, faking it seems unlikely to make a difference.

Assuming there wasn't anyone out there trying to *find* the Vorlon homeworld via its planetary type, and thereafter endanger it... I would consider their atmosphere to make little difference.

As such, I would consider them unlikely to misrepresent their usual environment -- instead picking the option of greatest comfort.

I would consider them unlikely to misrepresent their usual environment -- instead picking the option of greatest comfort.

Unless they were just using the environment of Kosh's quarters to make it more prohibitive for people from the younger races to spend time in and around the area. Or to make it harder to retro-fit in any hard cable lines to carry surveilance signals out (presuming that any wireless transmission would be easily detected by the Vorlon as soon as it was tried).

It may just be an extra level of security, or just that much more of an isolating factor.

I would consider them unlikely to misrepresent their usual environment -- instead picking the option of greatest comfort.

Unless they were just using the environment of Kosh's quarters to make it more prohibitive for people from the younger races to spend time in and around the area. Or to make it harder to retro-fit in any hard cable lines to carry surveilance signals out (presuming that any wireless transmission would be easily detected by the Vorlon as soon as it was tried).

It may just be an extra level of security, or just that much more of an isolating factor.

I agree, my impression has always been, it's just to keep everyone at bay a little more. Even at the end of Kosh II's tenure, Lyta was still pretending to need a breather mask. I think it was all show, Kosh had no problem breathing regular oxegyn air, out of his encounter suit when he saved Sheridan in Falling Toward Apotheosis.

The Vorlon's preferred atmosphere may indeed not be breathable by many races, but, I don't think what he had pumping into his quarters had anything to do with what he needed to breath.

According to the magazine story Nautilus Coil the Vorlon planet used to enhance Lyta had an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere. The planet may however have been just a remote experimental research station rather than their home world.

Kosh had no problem breathing regular oxegyn air, out of his encounter suit when he saved Sheridan in Falling Toward Apotheosis.

Was he even "breathing"?

Ulkesh and "the last of Kosh" didn't seem to have any problem in the vacuum outside the station at the end of their fight after they went through the station walls.

Unless they were just using the environment of Kosh's quarters to make it more prohibitive for people from the younger races to spend time in and around the area.
Thank you. I didn't express this idea as well as you.

The Vorlons love to be mysterious and seem quite willing to make an extra effort in this regard. "Familiarity breeds contempt" and they didn't want anyone to hang around them long enough make them familiar (which means "like family").

I always imagined that Kosh reverted his quarters to "garden of eden" (for a Vorlon) conditions once his visitors had left, making sure that the B5 sensors still recorded his environment as hell-like.

I think that atmospheric environment has no meaning to a Vorlon beyond being a mask they wear to keep themselves isolated.

"Familiarity breeds contempt" and they didn't want anyone to hang around them long enough make them familiar (which means "like family").

Not debating the Vorlons' desire to keep distance between themselves and the others, but the mentioning of family is interesting considering how Kosh seemed to come to see himself as sort of father-like to Sheridan and G'Kar.

Back