• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Original Battlestar Galactica

The fourth season is definitely worth a watch. The problem with BSG is that unlike B5 it was clearly writen as it went along without a clear idea of a goal. Some TV shows can get away with that, writing a final episode that seems as if it was planned all along. Others like BSG can't.

That's not to say I didn't like the ending of BSG. It's just that if you're expecting all the mysteries to be tied up with a little neat bow (like B5) then you're going to be hugely disappointed.

Even if you don't decide to watch season 4, do yourself a favour and watch Razor (the two parter joined together to make a TV movie). It contains a moment you've been waiting 3 whole seasons for. You'll know exactly the one I speak of when it happens.

I strongly suggest watching season four, it's awesome.

I went through a strange love hate love relationship with BSG. I adored season one...liked half of season two then got very angry with it. Anger induced by being such a fan of season one. So I quit, for about two years I think. Then something led me to pick up season 3.

To this day it's one of my favourite shows. I rewatched it again recently in Blu-ray on my new TV and found it particularly pleasant...

To this day, while I agree they made it up as they went along, it feels like it hangs together. In my head I love season one most (for its straight up political/military drama) and I love season four for its over the top mystical elements and some great story arcs. The bits in between are where its' foggier... the end of season two still has some terrible episodes, and season three is very inconsistent.

I love the show for what it was, and what it became.

I don't know who would say stop after three... I'd tell new people to skip most of three if you and and go straight to four! Plus the end episode to me is one of the finest end episodes of any TV show.

I disagree.

Season One was OUTSTANDING. Then it was an ever increasing downfall from there to possibly the worst series finale of all time. Yes there were parts I liked and even loved, but the whole was weak. I think one thing that made things worse is that it was obviously written as they went, but I'm pretty sure in interview after interview they lied and said it was all part of a planned out arc. Thankfully I haven't thought about the show in so long my memory is fuzzy on all of the details. :guffaw:

The Plan was a low budget but fun way of retro-conning stuff from the entire arc. They did it very well. And Dean Stockwell is amazing as Cavil and there's a real black humour to The Plan. I think Jane Espenson really drew on her Buffy experience for it.

Yeah, The Plan does a fairly good job of trying to make it look like it was all planned out, but it obviously wasn't. Then again, B5 spoiled us in that regard, most TV isn't planned out anywhere beyond the end of the season (or first episode of the next one).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back