• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Cause of Death & Interesting fact about Rick Biggs

Don't know if anyone had seen this expanded obituary from the LA Times:

Los Angeles Times
May 28, 2004
OBITUARIES
Richard Biggs, 44; Television Actor Known for Featured Roles
in 'Babylon 5,' 'Days of Our Lives'

By Elaine Woo, Times Staff Writer

Richard Biggs, a television actor known for his featured roles in such series as "Babylon 5" and "Days of Our Lives," died Saturday after collapsing suddenly at his San Fernando Valley home. He was 44.

He was taken to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, where he died, said Caren Day, a family spokeswoman. The cause was a tear in his aorta.

Biggs, a graduate of the USC School of Theatre, portrayed Dr. Stephen Franklin on the science-fiction series "Babylon 5," which was broadcast in syndication and later on the TNT network from 1991 to 1998. He also played a doctor on the NBC soap "Days of Our Lives" for five years beginning in the 1980s.

More recently, he appeared on the Lifetime channel dramas "Any Day Now" and "Strong Medicine" and earned favorable notices onstage in Los Angeles productions of Shakespeare's "Lear" and John DiFusco's Vietnam War play "Tracers."

Born in Columbus, Ohio, Biggs developed a passion for acting in high school after performing in a community production of "The Wiz." He won a scholarship to USC, where he majored in performing arts. While in college he taught acting at 32nd Street Magnet School near the USC campus and later at the Will Geer Theatricum Botanicum in Topanga. He
eventually developed his own curriculum, which he offered to schools across the country.

Hearing-impaired since boyhood, Biggs devoted much of his off-camera time to raising money for a private Orange County school that serves both deaf and hearing children.

In 1997 he was invited to direct a benefit presentation of A.R. Gurney's "Love Letters" at the Irvine Barclay Theatre. The proceeds went to the Rancho Viejo School for the deaf and hearing-impaired in Rancho Santa Margarita.

The next year Biggs brought most of the cast of "Babylon 5" to the school for another fundraising event, which attracted fans from around the country. He also sold autographed pictures of himself at the sci-fi conventions he frequently attended and gave the proceeds to the school so it could purchase playground and other equipment.

His own hearing problems were diagnosed when he was 13. Completely deaf in one ear and partly deaf in the other, Biggs wore a hearing aid and learned sign language as an adult after doctors told him that he one day would lose all his hearing.

He is survived by his wife of six years, Lori Kay Biggs; two sons, Hunter, 2, and Richard James III, 4; his parents, retired Col. Richard and Delores Biggs of Spokane, Wash.; and four sisters.

His family has established a college fund for his sons. Donations may be sent to the Benefit of the Children of Richard Biggs II, c/o Washington Mutual Bank, 840 N. San Fernando Blvd., Burbank, CA 91502.

I had never heard about his hearing impairment. That damned aortic tear is the same thing that killed John Ritter,which came up in discussion in relation to this a while back.

I've been lurking here for awhile, and I just figured it would stay that way...but then I saw the reason for Rick's death. The breath left my body and I actually sobbed for a good two minutes. It's the same thing my dad has. Back in October my dad nearly died from a tear in his aorta. He was just explaining to a doctor the other day about his condition and the doctor looked at him and just said, "Why are you alive?"....and now to hear that this stupid thing is the cause of Rick's death. :(

I'm happy for you Sarah, your father's an EXTREMELY lucky man. This condition is a congenital defect in the aorta and is generally not detected until it is too late. I can only assume that your father's condition was not as serious as either John Ritter's or Richard Biggs's - both of whom died almost instantly without hope of revival. In the case of a major break, blood circulation ceases completely and reviving the victim is as impossible as filling a tire with air after a blowout.

Thanks. They said when he first went into the hospital and they found out the problem that only 10% of the people who have the condition live once something goes wrong. Unfortunately, it's getting worse. The tear isn't just in the aorta anymore. It's now down through the artery...or vein(I can't remember which one it is now) and an aneurysm is starting. He'll have to have an operation this summer and he'll most likely be paralyzed. But yes....we're lucky.

It just makes me mad that a tear so small can cause all this trouble.

Sarah, I also wanted to say that your father is very fortunate. I hope that his surgery goes well; my best wishes are with him.

Entertainment Weekly's blurb:

Actor Richard Biggs, 44, a star on the 1994-88 series Babylon 5 and the NBC soap Days of Our Lives, of unknown causes, May 22, in L.A....

I dunno, I read that and thought "how many folks out there are going to assume it's drug related now?" or think the worst?

Now not only am I even more sorry that I never met Richard Biggs, I'm also even more sorry that my son never met him--my son has a mild-to-moderate hearing loss in both ears and has been wearing hearing aids since he was 3 1/2. We had no idea that our favorite TV doctor was also a supporter of schools for kids with hearing loss.

Re: Cause of Death & Interesting fact about Rick B

Sarah, Welcome to the site, i'm sorry to hear of your father's condition, he is indeed very lucky. My partner is hard of hearing, and wears hearing aids. Knowing how many problems she can have, i am even more impressed in Richard BIggs ability as an actor.

Thanks. :) I wasn't going to join....I'm probably one of the younger memebers, lol... And I hated to come in here and talk about my dad, because I didn't want to take anything away from Rick...but I just couldn't believe that a torn aorta was the reason for his death. Just kind of hit me hard. :(

Yeah, i can imagine that must be quite a shock.
People seem to be talking about all sorts here, not just B5. And just cause we use grown up words like 'partner' does'nt mean we all act that way! :)

Hehe, it's just that I was only 12 when I started watching B5 and I just turned 19. Before I decided to join, I always said to myself that I couldn't join because I just didn't know enough, lol. I love the show, but I don't really know all the technical stuff that a lot of you guys know.

I think I'm going to have to stay away from the political discussions I've seen, though. I'm a Republican. ;)

Hehe, it's just that I was only 12 when I started watching B5 and I just turned 19. Before I decided to join, I always said to myself that I couldn't join because I just didn't know enough, lol. I love the show, but I don't really know all the technical stuff that a lot of you guys know.

Ah, don't let that stop you, read a little more thoroughly through the board, we're not all Joe DeMartino's. Our knowledge of B5 covers the whole landscape, some people can't remember some of the minor character's names, while other people can name the episode title, what ships were in the episode, and everything in between those extremes. So, hop on in, whereever you feel comfortable, or if you have a question you'd like clarification on, I'm sure many people would be happy to come forward and help you with their views.

I think I'm going to have to stay away from the political discussions I've seen, though. I'm a Republican. ;)

I'm sure CrazyBillyO would appreciate the support (The loan voice of the Religious Right here). Some of us are slightly right of center, but, are just as scared of where Bush is leading the country, as the left are, so we get on the Democrats' bandwagon out of self defense

I'm sure CrazyBillyO would appreciate the support (The loan voice of the Religious Right here).

Well, I wouldn't exactly call myself too into the Religious Right thing. (I don't tend to like the people who claim to represent them) Nor am I a huge Bush fan. But I'm definitely one of the few left who even portrays any conservative point of view who's vocal. Most of the others, like Joe, KoshN, LondosHair, have left, and it's pretty much a liberal free-for-all. I only stay to counter the opinion since no one else will, and somebody has to state the truth. I often sound extreme since I'm the only one there who bothers questioning anyone. Anyway, it's sort of a mess in there, but it may be worth your time, so take a look-see.

And may I suggest Babbleon? A lot of good, solid discussion goes on in there about various topics, ranging from time travel theory to pastries. Very much worth your while, and very informative. :D

Sorry, about that, I guess it looks harsher than it sounded in my head when I typed it. No offense was meant.

LOL, the truth is a three edged sword.

Sorry, about that, I guess it looks harsher than it sounded in my head when I typed it. No offense was meant.

It slices, dices and juliennes! :D

I'm sure CrazyBillyO would appreciate the support (The loan voice of the Religious Right here). Some of us are slightly right of center, but, are just as scared of where Bush is leading the country, as the left are, so we get on the Democrats' bandwagon out of self defense

Religious Right, eh? Well...I'm no fan of Pat Robertson or his better half( or is it worse?) Jerry Falwell...but I am a Christian and I am to the right, at least on social issues. But I'm not a bigot. I tell it like I see it, but if others have a differing opinion, as long as they respect mine, I don't have a problem with theirs.

And I may join in the political discussions. We'll just have to see how long I can keep my cool. ;) Wouldn't want to get banned just a few days after finally joining. :LOL:

Hi Sarah, actually if you look up a few posts back, you'll see it was a little extreme for me to classify him as Religious Right. He is Conservative and Religious, but, not happy with being put in the same boat that you just decribed you don't want to ride in. (IE: Falwell, Robertson, and their ilk)

It's funny, I just happen to have watched this ep last night. I thought the quote was right (if in fact you were quoting from B5), but actually the quote is, "Understanding is a three edged sword."

Either way, I still say it slices...it dices...it juliennes! :D

Yea, that's what I was referring to. I figured it was close enough to the actual quote, no one but JDM would notice, and since he hasn't been around much, I figured it was safe. :D :LOL:

Yea, that's what I was referring to. I figured it was close enough to the actual quote, no one but JDM would notice, and since he hasn't been around much, I figured it was safe. :D :LOL:

HA! Busted! :eek: :LOL:

Back