• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deep Space Nine

Any one else here a fan of DS9 .I am thinking of purchasing this disk set but I have never actually seen the show.My local channel only broadcats Star Trek Voyager.I have a few books and I am planning on purchasing a bunch more.Short order is the series good and can someone give me a subplot of what the show is about?I know it tells a story so I it is related in some way to B5 .

Deep Space Nine is the most like B5 of the Trek series. Its the only Trek that had a continuing story that lasted for a few years. Most of the main story did not start until the 4th and 5th year. Season 1 and 2 are closer to what Next Gen is.

I loved DS9, especially the last 2 years. Great characters, great actors, great writing. I would recommend it to any sci-fi fan.

A lot of fans have noticed the similarities between DS9 and B5. They both take place aboard a space station in the future that is a meting place for different kinds of aliens, both take place near a interstellar "gate". The main characters of both series are both "spiritual" leaders of an alien race. Both deal with a major war that is hinted at in the first few years.

Funny, I didn't like DS9. It's my least favorite of the Trek shows. I just couldn't get into it.

I like the later seasons, after Voyager started and they were more free to take some risks. I stopped watching early when it seemed to be the murder mystery of the week but picked it back up years later in reruns.

I watched DS9 from the premier almost up until the end of the show. I liked it because it was soo different from TNG. The characters and situations where a little more edgy. Kira was my favorite character, she was brass and outspoken and not too fond of the Federation. I would have loved to have seen an episode with Ro on DS9.

I liked DS9 a lot, except for the yearly Ferengi shows. Arragh!

The arc that I liked best was the Bajoran spiritual / political one, which was pushed to the sidelines after the Dominion War started up.

Shaal Mayan, great choice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I highly recommend it, DS9 being my favorite show of all time and all!

I disagree with Mike G that it wasn't until seasons 4/5 that the arc started, that's rather wrong.

Season one is a very establishing year, as most shows are, including B5. Mid season two they started to hint at things, Shadow style. It was at the end of season two that the shit hit the fan, so to speak, and the story just builds from the end of 2 to the end of 7 (also the end of the show).

Yes, get DS9 if you can! I know I will get the TNG discs sometime but I think I'm more into getting DS9 since so much is good to watch in marathon form to get the story. I watched it from premier to finale and enjoyed it - more after the first few years but going back and rewatching the first few seasons after seeing later made them seem much better. Just a few days ago I picked up the DS9 books relaunch from the library - stories that take place after the end of the series. From what I can tell they (unlike many ST books, at least a few years ago) have continuity, at least in character and somewhat (not sure how much yet) in plot. I've also heard good things. And at the moment it's the only new DS9 I got .... Oh for a movie ...

I really want to get the first season but after spending so much money on getting the TNG series last year I might just have to wait a little longer. DS9 is my favorite of them all but I don't know if I'm going to have the kind of money to keep on buying them each time they come out.

I liked DS9 a lot, except for the yearly Ferengi shows. Arragh!

I couldn't agree with you more. The Ferengi are most one-dimensional characters in ST, if not all sci-fi. They made up for it though, killing them one by one in the "crossover" shows.

Thanks some of the posts here have made me definately want my DS9. If I throughly enjoy the first season I will get all 7 seasons of this one as well to go with my TNG disk set.

DS9 was my favorite of all the Treks, although TOS will always hold a special place in my heart. I definitely recommend buying the first season. (I've already pre-ordered mine!) Major Kira Nerys' character development and her life-changing events are worth the purchase alone.

Watch the episode "Duet" if you want to see a fantastic first-year story.

I enjoyed DS9, but I think it's somewhat overrated. I felt that the finale was rushed, which is somewhat inexcusable given some of the awful filler episodes in the 7th season.

Admiral Dave

I love DS9, i watched it from the very beginning, always loving it, it is so much better than Voyager, and much beter than TNG. It is my favorite Trek series, and is strongly recommended by me.

Though one point, I never liked the TNG season 1, and like TNG, DS9 season 1, also like B5, was not extraordinary, but it will get extremely good as of season 3, so don't get turned off if you don't find season 1 of DS9 too great.

Going out on a limb there aren't you by saying it's better than Voyager? Next you'll claim watching it was more fun than having the clap.

hell no, Voyager was crap compared to it, to Bermanized (or to Braga'ized, considering Berman was aslo with DS9)

Voyager started off great, and its season 2 (when season four of DS9 was going) was the only time is beat DS9 in my favorite show stakes. DS9 retook the crown in its fifth season, and VOY's third.

Ant, will you hate me if I say that I didn't like DS9? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Will Antony hate me if I tell him I didn't catch to Buffy? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I had this conversation today with Kribu. (Sorry, for her that would be yesterday now.)

Anyhow, she asked me how I could "dislike" a show I'd never watched. I used inexact language there.

I have tried to watch Buffy. I have heard great things about it. I never made it through an entire episode.

It's just not my thing. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Antony has taken no offense at far worse than this! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back