• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The First Time

ElScorcho

Regular
No, not that first time.

But don't you miss the first run of the show when you didn't know what was going to happen next. I try my hardest NOT to remember the names of the stories and what happens when exactly, but I've seen them so many times that I even know the dialogue before it's spoken.

Don't you wish you could just wipe your memory and watch it all over again, only being able to think of possibilities instead of knowing the outcome in advance?

Hey - maybe they could make a new show...

yes, yes I do.

I remember watching the opening titles on Channel 4. They seemed all unusual and atmospheric back then. Now I know them by heart.

I started watching B5 when Sci-fi started showing it, but i had already seen a few episodes when TNT was still showing. I hadn't seen enough on TNT to know what was going on but I knew what a shadow ship was and little things like that. I think that kinda spoiled the story for me when I watched it from begining to end.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by ElScorcho: </font color>
Don't you wish you could just wipe your memory and watch it all over again, only being able to think of possibilities instead of knowing the outcome in advance?

[/quote]

Yes, and have a friend tell me "Trust me. Watch this."

The first time I watched the show I was too young to seriously think, what colud happen next.

I would just love to see the sow from the beginning, because I haven't seen it for a very long time, especially the first 3 seasons. And I think because I know, what will happen it will be pretty interesting to see it again 'cause I will understand a lot of things I didn't understand then.

So I just want to see the whole thing again!!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I've seen it twice ... not from the very beginning the first time, more or less everything (missed just half of one ep, I think) the second time. But I really can't remember what I thought or felt the first time, I'm pretty lousy at remembering things like that.

Can't wait for those DVDs though. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Kribu: </font color>
Can't wait for those DVDs though.

[/quote]

I just pre-ordered mine. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

You pre-ordered them three times? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Sorry for the triple-tap. Guess I should have deleted the first instance, instead of 2 & 3.

No, I only pre-ordered it once.

As a matter of fact, I feel almost exactly the same way about B5. Rarely have other shows put me on the edge of my seat and left me wanting more than episodes of Babylon 5. Other shows usually only do that in the season finale, if even then. Babylon 5 did it probably 50% of the time, or more.

Despite the fact that Babylon 5 remains my #1 all-time favorite TV show, I don't even get too hyped about watching the repeats. It's just not the same, having seen the whole series several times.

I think I could use a little bit of B5-related memory loss to help me truly enjoy B5 all over again too.

Yes, I notice the only times I make sure to catch the repeats are from the tail end of the first series up until the end of the fourth. Admittedly, watching the series the second time through was as good as the first, having the background straightened out.

When it first aired in syndication, I rarely caught it due to time and channel changes. In fact, it never really grabbed my attention. Shoot me - I'm a Star Trek fan. But when TNT began showing the entire series, I watched it every day. I even taped the fifth season (which was showed concurrently) but didn't watch any episodes until I'd caught up with the first four.

It's a great epic story that is unique in most respects as a television show.

I started watching B5 from the very beginning of its original run on Channel 4 (United Kingdom). It wasn't easy. I remember season 4 was shown at about midnight, and even that time kept changing slightly. as for season 5, the last few episodes were shown at about 10am with a stupid clock/logo in the bottom corner all the way through.

Now I relive the experience as I am watching the whole thing beginning to end, alpha-omega, on my VHS collection. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

So far I'm up to Severed Dreams, and watching it at my own pace is a real treat. You don't get quite the same sense of wonder, but you can appreaciate all the little things to do with the arc that you might forget over time. Also, knowing things in advance like the original plans for Takashima or Talia, things like that, you can appreaciate it more.

Oh yes I remember my first time watching it couldn't wait to see the continuation of the story all exciting and all new to me now I know what will happen kind of lessens the excitement just a bit .Wish I could see it all over again.

Yeah, I really wish I could ... though unlike many series, rewatching them is almost as good as the first time since I can see them in a new light, how I see the characters and plot going, what secrets are revealed to explain actions, etc. I think one of the marks of a good story - in whatever medium - is that when you get to the end, you're encouraged to go back again and experience it with all the pieces put together (going "Oh yeah!" alot at stuff seemingly trivial that was important, heh) and watch it for different details. I usually pick up something new each time I watch it.

Sadly, I wish I could have started from the beginning. I only started in season 3 - though I had seen a few episodes from before. I would love to have gone through the first two seasons without knowing what was coming. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Yeah, Loadhan, that was exactly what I was trying to say in my bad English! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

It would be neat to be able to watch the series over from beginning to end not knowing what was going to happen, and guessing at what might happen. I remember how great it was when I saw it for the first time. The second time was just as good, as I knew what was going to happen, but I was able to pick up little clues and tidbits of information that would become important later on. In any case, I would love to see it again as if it were my first time.

Its been seven years since I saw season one so when it started up again last year I watched every episode with anticipation /forums/images/icons/smile.gif because it was like new to me as I did forget what happened in season one /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

We've only just started season 5 and thus far I must say I haven't been disappointed. As for rewatching the whole series again. I don't have season 1 and 2 (hence the anticipation of the dvd's). Series 3 and 4 has been watched once since they've been recorded! Thats the way i aim to keep it. The appreciation is lost if you watch it too often. Like a book go through it once and a year and the shine doesn't dull!

Latest posts

Members online

Back