• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Galen's Believe it or not! (Spoilers)

Morden

Regular
Galen\'s Believe it or not! (Spoilers)

On Monday night, I stayed up till 1 a.m. finishing Technomage Book 2, "Summoning Light." I woke the next morning tired has Hell when I went to school, but it was all worth it, Jeanne Cavelos did an excellent job.
I was hooked on this book, but there was only one problem that struck me in this book: Galen.
Galen is an awesome character, and a cool guy, but in this book he killed so many things, he made Hitler look like a hippy.
Within 30 hours Galen killed/destroyed: A Shadow ship, Drakh, some Shadows, Drakh, More Drakh, Bunny, Drakh, Tilar, Drakh, A few more Drakh, Rabelna, A tower in the city, A Centauri warehouse, and more Drakh.
It's no wonder we didn't see any Drakh on B5 for so long, Galen put them on the indangered races list. Alwyn, Blaylock, and G'Leel helped a little, but seriously, Galen killed a lot of people!
This just strikes me as WAY too much power. Now maybe because Galen's spell of destruction is a single termed spell, it doesn't take as much out of him as a multi-termed spell, but still. Galen used that Spell of Destruction so many times, he should of long been drained of energy.
Even if he did get a recharge when Anna revived his tech, and he was pure adrenaline, there's just no way he could kill so many. I don't think it was all that practical. We could of definately skipped a few paragraphs saying how many Drakh Galen had crushed.
But all in all, good book! I can't wait to read #3!

------------------
"Ink on a page!" -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.
"Life is life, whether it's wrapped in skin, scales or feathers." -Dr. Franklin

Re: Galen\'s Believe it or not! (Spoilers)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Morden:
On Monday night, I stayed up till 1 a.m. finishing Technomage Book 2, "Summoning Light." I woke the next morning tired has Hell when I went to school, but it was all worth it, Jeanne Cavelos did an excellent job.
I was hooked on this book, but there was only one problem that struck me in this book: Galen.
Galen is an awesome character, and a cool guy, but in this book he killed so many things, he made Hitler look like a hippy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's a bit of a stretch. Hitler killed millions. Galen killed thousands. Hitler killed the defenseless. Galen killed the enemy. Big difference!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Morden:
Within 30 hours Galen killed/destroyed: A Shadow ship, Drakh, some Shadows, Drakh, More Drakh, Bunny,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't know he killed Bunny. Go back and read that passage carefully. Then, read Book #3.

...Drakh, Tilar, Drakh, A few more Drakh, Rabelna, A tower in the city,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, several buildings in Rabelna.

...A Centauri warehouse, and more Drakh.
It's no wonder we didn't see any Drakh on B5 for so long, Galen put them on the indangered races list. Alwyn, Blaylock, and G'Leel helped a little, but seriously, Galen killed a lot of people!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, and they deserved it. They are the enemy. They are causing death and destruction by helping the Shadows.

...This just strikes me as WAY too much power. Now maybe because Galen's spell of destruction is a single termed spell, it doesn't take as much out of him as a multi-termed spell, but still. Galen used that Spell of Destruction so many times, he should of long been drained of energy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was affected by it. He was weakened.

Even if he did get a recharge when Anna revived his tech, and he was pure adrenaline, there's just no way he could kill so many. I don't think it was all that practical. We could of definately skipped a few paragraphs saying how many Drakh Galen had crushed.
But all in all, good book! I can't wait to read #3!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we don't really know how the tech works. Is it a source of power or director/channeler of power? Anyway, Technomage spells do have a limited range. There is that limitation.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 22, 2002).]

*makes note to go get books and read*

------------------
*step up, and say that to my face, you'll get knocked the f*ck out*

Are we really crying over dead Drakh, Shadows, and bad-guy Mages? Please.

Besides, it does fit with the Galen we saw in Crusade. He constantly kept himself isolated and you could tell this was a man with a past.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Quite believable for me.

The Shadows created the technomages as agents of chaos. Agents more powerful than the Drakh, and more intelligent than the Soldiers of Darkness. They added a little to everything: health and resilience, tools and weapons, senses and control. An angry mage with no regard for safety... would cause a great deal of destruction.

-------

I wondered about an entirely different matter. Galen managed to surprise (and presumably kill) several Shadows. In fact, several Shadows lingered in his close proximity without detecting and seeing through his "wall of illusion".

Yet we know that Shadows can easily see through illusions, and pass through shields with no effort. When Burell tried to distract the chasers of Galen and Isabelle... a Shadow identified which illusion was the real Burell.

So the question is: what was wrong with those Shadows? Not only did they ignore Galen and walk right up to him, but they never tried to oppose him, neither with attack or defense. Neither with weapons nor telepathy. Essentially they let themselves be crushed. Why? Basing on what we know about Shadows, they must have been able to...

1. See through his illusion.
2. Feel their mental presence.
3. Invade their minds.
4. Attack with rather horrible means.
5. And perhaps even defend.

Attack may have constituted anything from immediately destroying his mind... to using their equivalents of technomage spells. We know that the Shadows like carrying various tech in/on/with them. I would suspect that their tech can do some incredibly intersting things.

Defense may have contituted either dissolving or shifting the spells, or running an automatic defense procedure to do it for them. Perhaps leaving their physical shells to become less vulnerable -- beings with no body and no centre.

Explanation 1: they were unable to see him. They were surprised.

Shortcoming 1: I suspect that a Shadow can react and think faster than a Human. Perhaps even distribute their thoughts between their "real mind" and computers, to achieve incredibly fast reaction. To surprise one Shadow may be easy. To surprise two may be possible. But to surprise many... seems very improbable.

Explanation 2: they were expendable. They needed a core for the Eye, needed to drive Galen into a trap. And were willing to die for this goal.

Shortcoming 2: it seems that anyone with technomage implants could have run the Eye. Galen was chosen because he could do it better. Installing anyone else in the Eye would have simply provided less performance. Hardly a matter to make a Shadow consider itself expendable.

Explanation 3: perhaps they were not real? Shadows can see thorugh the illusions of technomages. Can mages see through the illusions of Shadows? In a risky situation, it might seem logical for a Shadow to send an illusion first... and walk in personally later.

Shortcoming 3: a real Shadow in a care-free mode is visible to a technomage. It shows up as an area of interference. Naturally the Shadows know that, or have learned from experience.

Knowing this, they would have to create an illusion of interference. They would have to observe it from distance. Or walk along with the illusion, taking great care to remain invisible.

Seems like some effort, but would it be effort for them? When knowingly approaching an opponent possessing the spell of destruction?

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Well, several buildings in Rabelna.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't Rabelna the female Drazi?
crazy.gif
Or am I misremembering things?

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

Correct indeed.
Thenothk was the colony.
Rabelna was the Drazi who assisted the Drakh.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
Wasn't Rabelna the female Drazi?
crazy.gif
Or am I misremembering things?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I get for not checking.
blush.gif
I thought it was the name of the town.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
That's what I get for not checking.
blush.gif
I thought it was the name of the town.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fah! Do not worry, we knew you meant
*checks* City Central.
Kosh, you ambassadors are immortal a single mistake like this doesn't bring you down.
smile.gif

------------------
"Ink on a page!" -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.
"Life is life, whether it's wrapped in skin, scales or feathers." -Dr. Franklin

It is true that Galen did go a little over the top, but his actions will have consequences. HE has to now deal with his actions and the horrors he's comitted. Read book 3, it's great!

------------------

which trilogy goes first, technomage or centari? i want to know so i can go start reading them
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nixon:
which trilogy goes first, technomage or centari? i want to know so i can go start reading them
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Technomage books take place during the B5 timeline. The Centauri books are between season 5 and Londo's death.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Well, the Technomage trilogy starts out early in the B5 story and finishes up before the events of A Call to Arms and Crusade, so chronologicaly, it mostly comes first.

The Centauri trilogy spans the time from when Londo Left B5 for the last time and finishes 17 years later, a bit After the events in the movie In The Beginning.
It explains HOW Vir rose to become Emperor and Why he was there so soon after Londo & G'Kar died.
It also reveals many of the secrets of the Drakh occupation of Centauri prime.

The key to all this, though, is that they do not Overlap in any significant way, so there are no "Spoilers" in either for the other.

In fact, the Centauri Trilogy was published First, so that is the order most people got to read them.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nixon:
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps (2115-2189)
Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant (2189-2258)
Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester (2271-2281)

Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime (2262-2267)
Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark (2267-2273)
Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness (2274-2278)

The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows (11/2258-12/31/2258)
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light (1/2259-2/2259)
The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness (8/2260-2261)

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 24, 2002).]

I have read both of the first two Technomage books and am almost done with the third. One thing that I have seen from reading the trilogy, is that Galen is a much darker character than he was in ACTA and Crusade. Now, I wouldn't go as far as to equate him with Hitler, but yes, he did kill many of the enemy. But Galen didn't kill them because he was some sadistic dictator and assassin, he did it because it was necessary in opposing the Shadows and their allies.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RW7427:
I have read both of the first two Technomage books and am almost done with the third. One thing that I have seen from reading the trilogy, is that Galen is a much darker character than he was in ACTA and Crusade. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Galen could have mellowed a bit between Invoking Darkness and Crusade.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Kosh N,

I'm sure he did mellow a bit. Perhaps he had some time to think things over and come to grips with the universe.
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

After finishing the third book tell us if Galen seems too mellow in Crusade. There already was an interesting debate on a, well, similar subject.
wink.gif

------------------
"I was free to wallow in my own crapulence." -Mr. Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns Part Two"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back