• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Willy Won... er, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I know it's true to the original book, but when you ask someone what movie they saw tomorrow night, they're pretty damn likely going to say Willy Wonka.

Saw it at a preview the other day and liked it
As a WW fan from way back, I liked it more than I thought I would. All in all, I like the movie more for its differences than for its similarities to the original, because the similarities all receive undue comparison while you're watching.

The Good:
Johnny Depp - The man is a freak... in the very best sense of the word. You can't take your eyes off him.
Danny Elfman's soundtrack and Oompa Loompa musical numbers - these are completely bizarre.
Set design and effects - everything looks great, both inside and outside the factory.

The Bad
Johnny Depp - No matter how great he is, he ain't Gene Wilder, so try to avoid comparing performances (impossible, I know). It'll just frustrate you.
It's still a remake, and one I've seen a thousand times, so it'll never be THAT fresh.

All in all, some things are missing. Some storylines have been added, some altered, and some removed altogether (including a major source of conflict from the original). I believe the story structure of the original is still better, but Burton must have felt pressure to alter this film enough to make it somewhat new and different.

Overall, the movie is satisfying enough if you know the old one and for children who've never seen the original, they will really love it and this will be the one they think about when they've grown up.

All in all, some things are missing. Some storylines have been added, some altered, and some removed altogether (including a major source of conflict from the original). I believe the story structure of the original is still better, but Burton must have felt pressure to alter this film enough to make it somewhat new and different.
I'm curious, how do those differences from the first movie relate to the original book? From I had read, it appeared that this one was intended to stay truer to the book than the Wilder movie.

It's been *many* years since I read the book, so I'm sure that I don't remember all of the differences between the book and the Wilder movie. I do remember that the overall tone and feel of the book was much darker and ..... I don't know ..... maybe "grimier" would be a good word, than that movie.

And, actually, I kinda doubt that Burton felt pressured into making changes relative to the first movie. I just think that he wouldn't have taken on the project if he wasn't going into it with the thought that he had a different "take" on the material than had been shown in the first movie. That's just an impression based on what I have seen of his body of work.

I've never read the book, but, I also have heard pretty much that. And that Johnny Depp is playing Willy Wonka more "Bizarre", than Gene Wilder did, which he was in the book.

youlose7qz.gif

I've never read the book but I'm pretty sure the whole 'steal a piece of candy as corporate espionage offer from a double agent' was never part of said book.

Re: Willy Won... er, Charlie and the Chocolate Fac

I've never read the book but I'm pretty sure the whole 'steal a piece of candy as corporate espionage offer from a double agent' was never part of said book.

It was. Money is a powerful temptation.

The whole point of the book was that Charlie was given every temptation and resisted the lot. His rivals succumbed and lost.

LH: What movie is that from? I know Ive seen it, but I can't place it off the top of my head...

LH: What movie is that from? I know Ive seen it, but I can't place it off the top of my head...
...Willy Wonka... :p

I posted it because it's probably the "source of conflict" scene you said they didn't include in the new film. :)

Now I feel silly.

In my defense I havent seen the original since I was a kid, so I had no idea that it related to the very movie this thread is about...

I'm curious, how do those differences from the first movie relate to the original book? From I had read, it appeared that this one was intended to stay truer to the book than the Wilder movie.

It's been *many* years since I read the book, so I'm sure that I don't remember all of the differences between the book and the Wilder movie. I do remember that the overall tone and feel of the book was much darker and ..... I don't know ..... maybe "grimier" would be a good word, than that movie.

And, actually, I kinda doubt that Burton felt pressured into making changes relative to the first movie. I just think that he wouldn't have taken on the project if he wasn't going into it with the thought that he had a different "take" on the material than had been shown in the first movie. That's just an impression based on what I have seen of his body of work.

I read the book to my kids only no more than 5 years ago, but I don't retain what I read very well so I can't confirm or deny what was in the book.

And I agree, when I speculated about Burton being "pressured", I was referring to internal not external. I believe that he wanted to make his mark on this movie and to change it in ways that would make it new and interesting. Luckily, none of these changes included Mark Wahlberg. :LOL:

It was. Money is a powerful temptation.

The whole point of the book was that Charlie was given every temptation and resisted the lot. His rivals succumbed and lost.

Well, if you must know, it's gone now.

And Londo, I love that animation. Maybe I can use it for an email header. :devil:

Saw this on the IMAX on Friday.

I liked it because it presented Willy Wonka very differently than the older film. Gene Wilder's Wonka is an adult who uses fantastical trappings to create an impression. Johny Depp's is sincere- he's a man-child.

When the kids annoy Wilder, he just handles them non-chalantly. Depp genuinely gets rattled.

Other than that, I haven't felt that stoned since college.

I belive Wilder had more heart in his performance. Despite his maniacal tendencies, he was a much warmer, cuddlier Wonka. Johnny Depp's personality was as bruised as a peach on an escalator

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back