• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

It Was the Dawn of the Third Age of B5-Watching...

Ahhh, that explains it. I also had the niggling suspicion that Londo was mocking the person he was talking about, which he wouldn't do for a friend. (Much.) (Well, it depends.) (Okay, he'd totally do it.) (Anyway...) So he was talking about somebody else. Makes sense.

Viewing update: different library systems handle DVDs differently.

The Ex is getting the DVDs one disc at a time -- and apparently is in some competition with other viewers, as there is usually a wait. I, on the other hand, got the entire season in one go, but with a little notice indicating that I would not be able to renew it. So! This week was the week I watched Season 5...

Well, not entirely. But I did have to plow through quite a few, and today I did five.

But not the last five. I'm saving "Sleeping in Light" until the Ex catches up. I will grumble and give Amazon my $1.99 and watch it via streaming, but I will wait.

My goodness, these are all tearjerkers. All the goodbyes. The tragedies. The speeches: G'Kar gets so many, and they all break my heart; Stephen doesn't get one at all. The truly remarkable lineup of returning actors. We haven't seen Dr. Hobbes but twice, and not for years. Much the same for Number One, although not quite so long. Na'Tok, the Narn commander willing to attack Centauri Prime? He was in command of the cruiser Sheridan protected in "Fall of Night"! We haven't seen him since G'Kar explained Swedish meatballs to him in Season 3. Ta'Lon at least came around to explain to G'Kar that he'd been hit by a Belief Bomb, but we first met him in the ridiculous alien abduction ep back in Season 2!

And the Regent. Oh, the Regent. Bit part in Season 1, and now every time I see that, my mind flashes forward to his last lines and my heart breaks all over again... "I have been silly. I have been foolish. I have been silent when I should have spoken. But I am still Centauri, and I am not afraid."

Good stories that cover such time, with such strong connections between beginning and end, always give me the best kind of vertigo.

Na'Tok, the Narn commander willing to attack Centauri Prime? He was in command of the cruiser Sheridan protected in "Fall of Night"! We haven't seen him since G'Kar explained Swedish meatballs to him in Season 3.

Right, now has this ever been cleared up? In Fall of Night and Walkabout, the Narn character Robin Sachs played was called Na'Kal, but in season 5 the character he plays is called Na'Tok (coincidentally, Na'Kal's ship was called the G'Tok). So, are they meant to be the same character and they goofed over the name? I guess JMS might not have known they'd be bringing Robin Sachs in to play the season 5 character, but on the other hand Na'Kal was prominent enough to be brought back in season 3, so presumably JMS hadn't forgotten about the character and it would make sense to use him here.

Right, now has this ever been cleared up? In Fall of Night and Walkabout, the Narn character Robin Sachs played was called Na'Kal, but in season 5 the character he plays is called Na'Tok (coincidentally, Na'Kal's ship was called the G'Tok). So, are they meant to be the same character and they goofed over the name? I guess JMS might not have known they'd be bringing Robin Sachs in to play the season 5 character, but on the other hand Na'Kal was prominent enough to be brought back in season 3, so presumably JMS hadn't forgotten about the character and it would make sense to use him here.

There's no indication in the script that Na'Kal was supposed to be the same character as Na'Tok. Na'Kal's title was Warleader and Na'Tok was a General if Narn rankings mean anything?

Speaking about the DVDs. I keep all of the DVDs in my queue on Netflix. I don't actually get them because I have them all, but I like to follow anything that happens. The only thing that ever does is when I can progressively go down the list and see when Discs are unavailable for long periods of time or really long periods of time - meaning a disc is out to someone who doesn't return them in a timely manner. The reason I point this out is because I can basically track someone doing a viewing because the Discs go out, then the next, and so on down the line. ;)

Speaking about the DVDs. I keep all of the DVDs in my queue on Netflix. I don't actually get them because I have them all, but I like to follow anything that happens. The only thing that ever does is when I can progressively go down the list and see when Discs are unavailable for long periods of time or really long periods of time - meaning a disc is out to someone who doesn't return them in a timely manner. The reason I point this out is because I can basically track someone doing a viewing because the Discs go out, then the next, and so on down the line. ;)

That's kind of cool. I don't want to tell you how long it took me to understand what you meant by keeping the DVDs in your Netflix queue, though.

That's kind of cool. I don't want to tell you how long it took me to understand what you meant by keeping the DVDs in your Netflix queue, though.

Very understandable if you are unfamiliar with how Netflix DVD works. My "Queue" has about 300 titles in it, including all the B5 discs. I will also start to see when their supply runs out. The Discs that finally give out or get broken in shipment will eventually start to switch to my "Unknown" queue. That is the list of titles for movies that haven't been released yet or titles they had discs for, but currently do not. I don't even know why it exists other than upcoming possible releases. I've never seen a disc disappear down to that list and then become available again. But I still check it to see when the B5 Discs get placed on that list, so I'll know when people can no longer see B5 through that source.

There's no indication in the script that Na'Kal was supposed to be the same character as Na'Tok. Na'Kal's title was Warleader and Na'Tok was a General if Narn rankings mean anything?

John Flinn said he was the same character in an interview; feels like he would have heard that from Joe?

Does it change the story one way or the other? I like thinking he was the same guy who looked for sanctuary from Babylon 5 to be the one who decides to go full assault on Centauri Prime.

with the current lockdown, I am binge-watching the series again. It is just too bad JMS did not have the budget that Star Trek did--the writing is far better and I like the acting over all

Latest posts

Members online

Back