• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon-5 Shuttles & the Battlestar:Galactica?

Funny, I thought that was the coolest and most unique part of the show. Vorlons, Shadows, even Minbari to degree. A lot better and more unique than the standard "straight edges" ship designs everywhere else...

Funny, I thought that was the coolest and most unique part of the show. Vorlons, Shadows, even Minbari to degree. A lot better and more unique than the standard "straight edges" ship designs everywhere else...

Agreed. The shot of Kosh's ship pulling into B5 in the Gathering, was so cool (I used to be absolutely crazy about computer animation) I didn't care if the movie was any good or not, I wanted it to continue, just to see more cool CGI. But, of course, a few episodes in, I was hooked by the show itself.

Yeah, especially the shifting skin pattern effects, the wounded in battle effects (Shadow and Vorlon), and the ability of the Vorlon ships to form openings, messages on the skin, and extrude tendrils (like the ones that delivered Dr. Everett Jacobs and Lyta out of Kosh's Vorlon Transport), and devices (like the one that caused Sheridan to back off in Bay 13).

I wonder though, why a design reminiscent of a squid though?
I don't mean to sound funny but I have always been curious about what prompted that idea. I mean, the battle crabs are obviously linked to the shadows. Even the minbari vessels, especially the cruisers, tend to reflect the minbari.
So the question is were the Vorlons squid before ascending :p

If you think about it, the ship designs largely reflect the culture of the race they belong to.

Narns have the mottled paintwork.

Centauri have crestlike wings.

Minbari ships reflect the cultural obsession with three and have bonelike ridges/contours. I also personally think they look like fish.

Hard and militant. It's all about showing a hard visual, no nonsense stance. Especially because we are a martial species. Look at modern vehicles of war, they could almost be a basic template for the B5 universe's interpretation of human ships.

Hard and militant. It's all about showing a hard visual, no nonsense stance. Especially because we are a martial species. Look at modern vehicles of war, they could almost be a basic template for the B5 universe's interpretation of human ships.

I do like the way that you can look at any ship in B5 and instantly tell which of the major races built it. One exception might be those Narn dreadnoughts from Season 1, which were replaced by the more familiar heavy cruisers in Season 2. Those looked to me like they might have been built by humans - I think they even had the frisbee-shaped cockpit of many human ships.

:LOL: like the drazi ships. Intimidating when seen for the first time but utterly useless when it counts. Kinda like the drazi!
I must say that the shadows and their ships probably tie in closer with each other, more so than any other race. Second would have to be the minbari

Not sure why, but I like the Brakiri ships a good deal. I always felt disappointed that we never got any shots (as far as I can remember) of them firing their weapons -- only of them being blown up.

Given everyone is always banging on about how much more diverse the humans are than everyone else, perhaps the fact that their ships look fairly no-nonsense and anonymous is actually perfectly apt..

Besides, supposing you had to design a ship incorporating distinctly human physical characteristics, what on earth would it look like anyway? :)

Besides, supposing you had to design a ship incorporating distinctly human physical characteristics, what on earth would it look like anyway? :)

It would have running lights. Trying to light up the vastness of space with something so miniscule and impotent strikes me as profoundly human.

It would have running lights.

That always makes me laugh in Sci-Fi. Running Lights....on a space ship. While I admit that around port or dock, its probably helpful so there aren't crashes (but sensors help there) and it makes the ships look pretty so you can see them. Also I realize its so us the Sci-Fi fans can actually SEE the ship.

However in the blackness of space, running lights would do very little. Whats even funnier is if you are in combat with an enemy, why would you turn the damn things on anyway? You would think there would be an OFF switch...

Exactly. It's a futile endeavor but a grand gesture. And that's exactly why all human ships should have them.

If humans were to make the ship a "reflection" of themselves then in the future I would suspect you would have the whole "pimp my ship" aspect of interstellar travel.
Maybe not all the ships but there would definitely be a group out there with part of the engine sticking out, neon lights, and whatever the replacement for NOS would be!

Back