• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 article in The Guardian

Springer

Regular
So this little article is an oddity - one for our B5 defence squad, Looney!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/09/jump-the-shark-babylon-5

A more glib article I've not come across in some time. Apparently B5 'jumped the shark', and despite it being over 20 years ago they've chosen to write about it now. And G'Kar was orange?

I think it's fair to say that the majority opinion is that the Byron plot didn't work well, although there are people who enjoyed it. And while I think season 5 is my least favourite, this article does it a massive disservice – in my opinion!

At least it gets people talking about the show, and maybe a few new people will search it out to see what all the fuss is about.

At least it gets people talking about the show, and maybe a few new people will search it out to see what all the fuss is about.

Yeah you mean any publicity is good publicity. ;) You know what is amazing. I fully admit that Season 5 is not my favorite season, but it is still pretty fraggin good and it really was just a couple of mis-steps that weakened it. With some slight corrections it really could have and should have relaunched the entire arc. I think one of the major mis-steps was that it was rushed, but that was the nature of TV back then. Now series get away with a year and a half to two years between certain seasons. Back then it had to be ready by the next season.

I think losing Claudia was season 5's biggest problem – and I say that as someone who doesn't mind Lochley and thought Tracy Scoggins did a good job. But Claudia brought an energy to Ivanova that was very different to the other cast members, and I never felt the show replaced her in that respect. She'd have livened up the Byron plot, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back