• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Okay, Straight up!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by LightNZ: </font color>
and I don't think graphical changes should be mentioned in shows! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

[/quote]

I meant that there could have been a story reason for the increased flashiness of the jumpgate vortex between Babylon 5 Season 5 (December 2262) and "A Call to Arms" (December 2266).

I meant that there could have been a story reason for the increased flashiness of the jumpgate vortex between Babylon 5 Season 5 (December 2262) and "A Call to Arms" (December 2266).

[/quote]

Then they'd have to explain why the jumpgates went back to the old look in 2281 ("Sleeping in Light") Far better to ignore it and get on with the story.

They would have had an even bigger problem explaining why the 'gates/'points looked different yet again in the proposed Teep War (2264-65) feature film. (And with a feature film budget, you can bet your bottom dollar that they would have looked different.) When they were shooting ACtA Crusade was already sold, and Warner Bros. was thinking "franchise" and warming to the idea of a big screen B5 adventure to go with the spin-off series. So I suspect this would have been one of many considerations in the back of JMS's mind.

Regards,

Joe

I just lump them in there with how much many things looked in "The Gathering" compared to the series - and I don't just mean the alien make-up. The guns they used in TG? Yeeesh! Glad they got rid of those! And we can't use the idea that standard EarthForce equipment was upgraded since we saw personal on Babylon 4 in season 1 using PPG's and other tech that resembled most of the series. I - like many - noticed the difference in jumpgates but I didn't let it get me down.

Heck, I was more wondering about why Sheriden shaved off his beard during the time he was prisoner on Centuari Prime (WWE, LoF3) but grew it back into the same style soon after. And he also looked older in ACTA than he did in WWE ... maybe we the audience were seeing the regular Sheriden while everyone else saw the (then) present Sheriden - sorta a "Quantum Leap" deal ...

that is actually my biggest gripe, how Sheridan looks in ACtA, compared to SiL and WWE, it's not good.

[/quote]

I know what you meant.

and I so disagree with it. Because the tech did NOT change at all, just the graphics /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Consistency is in the eye of the beholder.

Consistency is also in the eyes of the budget. And the art director. And the producer. And the makeup artist. And the writer. And the guy sitting in front of a computer with Lightwave.

Yeesh.

Well, they're making a new Battlestar Galactica and this is what...20 years after is first came out? Maybe in 20 years there will be renewed intrest in b5 and crusade and then all our dreams will come true. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Phil

Yea but that is a horrible REMAKE of the original Battlestar Galactica with no one from the original cast. If you are fan, you arent really looking forward to this one. It is sure to have its flare of sci-fi channel cheese too. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Consistency is in the eye of the beholder.

[/quote]

Or, as Ralph Waldo Emerson put it, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

A foolish consistency would be in keeping something that's painfully bad (e.g. the EA weapons from "The Gathering" or the weapons pod from TLaDiS) as-is, in order to be absolutely consistent. It would not be a foolish consistency to keep B5/Crusade's sharp look throughout all B5 universe series. I think it'd be damned nice if he'd quit tinkering with the jumpgate vortex and hyperspace effects and just settle on something.

Gee. KoshN, I liked the weapons pod bit. Unrealistic but did give a shot of action to the film where needed. /forums/images/icons/devil.gif

GShans wrote: "shouldn't have needed it in the first place."

Not for B5 fans like those on this list but the majority of viewers pay little attention to small details (like the jump gate color, etc) so need something like smash-bang-action to keep them interested. The weapons pod bit provided this, along with the other action.

Back