• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What Is The Apocalypse Box?

Dayton3

Regular
Its obvious thats its an intelligent creature. And its been said that its older than the Old Races. Where did it come from? What are its goals?

Why does it mislead the people who possess it on occasion? Why not be more direct?

Is it an artificial life form? Or one that actually evolved?

Are their others like it?

------------------

There are others like it. I believe the total number is (or originally was) six, but I couldn't swear to that in court.

It is not necessarily an intelligent creature. Could be an advanced computer, could be something else.

And we don't know the answers to the rest of your questions. Production stopped before we got anywhere close to learning the answers, and JMS has said very little since.

He did drop a couple of hints. Galen suspects that something is going on with Gideon, but he isn't sure what. If he knew that Gideon had an Apocalypse Box (it is always called an Apocalypse Box, so there are obviously more), and that Gideon was using it, he'd be very upset. No one except Gideon is supposed to know that he has the box. But one of Excalbur's crew does know. As season one progressed, the voice of the box would have gradually started to sound more and more like Gideon's own voice.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

It could be a prison of some sort.It also known to lie and to tell the truth and apparently the owner of the box dies...

------------------
Emporer Turhan-"How will this end"
Kosh-"In fire"

Somebody compared the Box to ORAC from Blakes 7...I havnt seen much of that show though. Any thoughts?

------------------
“Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought and why we died. All that matters is that today, two stood against many. Valor pleases you, so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, the HELL with you!”

Eat More Goat.

ORAC was good and on the side of the crew. The Apocalypse Box was not.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> ORAC was good and on the side of the crew. The Apocalypse Box was not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not NECESSARILY. It might me good, it might be bad, it might be both. We don't know that. All we know that Galen would be upset if he would know about it, that's all.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheInfection (edited September 13, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewSwallow:
ORAC was good and on the side of the crew. The Apocalypse Box was not.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ORAC was a computer that usually did what it was told. Usually. It was easily distracted by anything it thought was more interesting, and had a low opinion of the crew. It tended to see what they were up to as mundane or boring. In on episode it even flew their ship into a black hole, because it was curious!

WarpPig

------------------

Personally, I always thought that the Apoc. Box was created around the same time as Lorien's people as a sort of prophetic computer. It is at least somewhat sentient in that it adapts to its owner and knows what they don't. The Box started off the series sounding almost Vorlon-ish and became more and more normal toned. I imagine that by the middle of the second season or so it would have sounded just like Gideon (maybe even too much like Gideon). The reason I think Galen would not like it is that maybe it knows him already. After all the box told Gideon not to trust him.

Just My two cents.
cool.gif

------------------
"There is always hope. Only because its the one thing no one's figured out how to kill yet."

Back