B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 1st 22, 21:18   #11
LateArrival
Commander

Re: Is the Lost Tales DVD a DVD-R?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonfan View Post

Could you give an outline of that story? Or maybe even a link to the script?

Only online reference I know of was on the B5Books entry which mentioned the Unproduced Episode being in that particular book. Read the script just once a few years ago.
At the time was more focused on the front cover somehow peeling off and trying to glue it back into place.

https://b5books.com/babylon-5-script...6-straczynski/

-- Babylon 5: The Scripts of J. Michael Straczynski, TV Movies
The lost tale from The Lost Tales. Did you know that there were originally three lost tales, not two?
The middle segment, never produced due to production considerations, featured Michael Garibaldi making
a startling discovery on Mars. Only a handful of people involved in the production have ever read this
script, but now you can enjoy this "lost" installment.

The TV Movies book can be found "used" on Ebay by various sellers at various times at various prices, and also on Amazon.
Just another treasure that Captain J and Company included when compiling the original B5Books series!!

Guessing the plot isn't a secret, so will try to give it a Blurb summary...

Apologies if I get details wrong or forget key points.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Garibaldi is on Mars running Edgars Industries, and he isn't happy.

He is contacted as one of the many Edgars Industries projects is searching Mars for evidence of past civilizations. Lots of false alarms, but this time It's For Real. He and One Other Person (?) go to check the dig site, but Bad Stuff Happens when some rival/Not-Nice group attacks leaving Garibaldi and the Other Person as the only Good Guys still alive. Might also involve a destroyed mine elevator, but the Good Guys end up being trapped in the underground dig site - help won't be arriving anytime soon and they are too far underground, etc...

Garibaldi and the Other Person are separated. Garibaldi is fine but the Other Person is injured/immobilized, although he can still communicate with Garibaldi via radio. They talk about stuff, and the underlying message is that "A Parent Needs to Step Away So The Child Can Grow On Their Own." Garibaldi discovers/explores an underground cavern (?) which contains an ancient Martian city. I can't recall if the Not-Nice People are still involved at this point, but the focus is on Garibaldi and his newfound sense of wonder exploring the lost city and communicating this via radio to the Other Person. While exploring he picks up an Artifact (?) and places it in his pocket.

More Stuff Happens, and... ...the entire city/cavern (?) Goes Whoosh as the ancients are STILL Sort of Around and keeping an eye on humanity, like a Parent keeping an eye on their Child. Child cannot Grow if it thinks the Parent is still there to influence things, and concrete proof of a previous civilization would influence humanity's development, etc.

THE TWIST:
Garibaldi is eventually rescued, and he asks about the Other Person. Turns out the Other Person had been dead for A Long Time, and so who was Garibaldi speaking with on the radio? Garibaldi reaches into his pocket (?) and pulls out the Artifact that didn't Go Whoosh with everything else. At least he knows what he saw/heard wasn't his imagination. Refreshed by this amazing experience, Garibaldi has a new perspective on things and is happy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mind is mush, but guess one reason this segment didn't get produced was the expense of the sets, so we ended up with two out of three stories on the DVD.

Last edited by LateArrival; January 1st 22 at 21:32.
LateArrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd 22, 15:47   #12
Springer
Telepath

Aren't DVD-Rs supposed to be more prone to DVD rot than the silvered normal DVDs? If that's true then it might be best to try and avoid them anyway.

Or just keep fingers and everything else crossed for a blu-ray boxset (yes I'm still holding out for that - if the reboot goes into production they've got to release the old show on blu-ray?)

I'd forgotten the third 'Lost Tale' is in the movies script book too, will have to dig my copy out of storage...
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd 22, 02:28   #13
Looney
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Aren't DVD-Rs supposed to be more prone to DVD rot than the silvered normal DVDs? If that's true then it might be best to try and avoid them anyway.
I'm not sure about that one. I just know DVD-Rs are very easily scratched.
Old January 4th 22, 23:06   #14
ag87
Lurker

Thank you for all the great info about this, I really appreciate it!

Based on this, I will probably go ahead and keep the disk rather than requesting a replacement since it sounds like the legitimate item from the company. I've been hoping for a reply to the email I sent to the company, but the most likely result of that based on similar experiences I've had in the past with other companies is that they won't end up responding. But if they do, I'll of course follow up and add a post to this thread with their answer.

As for disk rot: I know a little bit about this, or at least, I've read a lot about it over the years. Anyway, I've read more than once that home-made disks like DVDR are much more likely to have this happen than professional disks because they are manfactured in an entirely different manner (I think I recall reading that the professional disks are "pressed" or something like that, but I don't know that for sure). I've had audio CD's from the 80's still work fine and disks I've made myself much more recently go bad, so that's also been my personal experience. That said, I don't remember reading anything that said the same can't also happen to professional disks, as well, just that it is less likely.
ag87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th 22, 12:57   #15
Looney
Psi Cop

Yeah I would say that DVD-R is just how it is being released now. Because I said I would I did check my all my LOST TALES DVDs and they are not DVD-Rs, but that doesn't really mean anything. I'm certain the one you received is legitimate.
Old January 15th 22, 15:55   #16
LateArrival
Commander

On a semi-related note. As my Lost Tales DVD #1 died and #2 is iffy, purchased the low res streaming version and later the HD (?!) version too, although streaming lacks Bonus Features. Wondered how/why the there was an HD version when pre-2021 B5 material seemed to be SD only. Just read about the HD release of TLT and Xbox Live. Maybe that's why the HD streaming version exists?

https://news.microsoft.com/2007/03/2...nment-network/

" Also, for the first time, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will be releasing its direct-to-video movies exclusively in high definition on Xbox LIVE simultaneous with their availability on DVD, starting with “Sublime” and later “Babylon 5: The Lost Tales.” "
Old January 19th 22, 12:58   #17
ag87
Lurker

> Because I said I would I did check ...

Thanks
ag87 is offline   Reply With Quote