• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

NewbieQ: How is JMS prescient?

I think fisheggs thinks the midi-chlorians that dictate force sensitivity, are part of the human genome, and any species that is force sensitive, only has that benefit due to interbreeding with humans.

From everything I've read, the concept of midi-chlorians was taken after our own real-life existing midochondria, which, despite being a part our bodies, have their own little DNA seperate from our own DNA.

Thanks. :D I was mainly being silly and poking a little fun at the plot concept that Luke and Leia are both asumed to be
strong in the Force because they were Anakin's kids, indicating a genetic component. As far as Anakin being too old to take Jedi training, Luke was much older and Leia would have been older still if Luke had failed. I find the idea that if the Jedi order found someone strong in the Force that they wouldn't even consider training them to be remarkable since they obviously went through the population to find children to raise. I also find it somewhat astounding that a Sith Master would "create" a child and then leave it as a slave to someone else on a backward world. Now, dont get me wrong, I loved the Original Trilogy, and didn't hate the first 2 and liked ROTS, but I was a little dissapointed that there wasn't more "Sith" :D As far as I can tell, Jedi and Sith were 2 sides of the same coin, the Force. Both were actually considered "religions" but you didn't really hear of the Sith vision, except to gain more power. Too bad JMS didn't write the scripts. :devil: Power is a means to an end, and we never really see what the end is.

As far as the Prophesy, here's an interesting thought, at the end of RotJ, "last" of the series, Vader kills the Emperor effectively becoming the Sith Master, and then dies partially at the hands of his son, his apprentice so to speak, does Luke now become the Sith Master as well as the only living trained Jedi? That brings the two sides together and brings balance. :cool:

SPOILER

Not to mention that he kills off the jedi, thus creating a balance in numbers between the jedi and the sith. (Vader and Sidious versus Obi-Wan and Yoda)

There used to be lots of sith in the past. I think some of the extended universe books, perhaps the Knights of the Old Republic computer game also, deal with this time when there were many sith.

P.S. Holy off-topic discussion, Obi-Wan.

As far as Anakin being too old to take Jedi training, Luke was much older and Leia would have been older still if Luke had failed.

Yeah, but Obi-Wan and Yoda were kinda in a bind at the time they trained Luke, so they were forced to let his age slide, and let other priorities take presidence.

As far as I can tell, Jedi and Sith were 2 sides of the same coin, the Force.

It was more that the Sith were a part of a perverted form of the Force.

Power is a means to an end, and we never really see what the end is.

Sure we did: control of the galaxy and the elimination of the Jedi (aka revenge).

does Luke now become the Sith Master as well as the only living trained Jedi?

Luke never becomes a Sith. He rejects the Emperor's offer and stands as a Jedi, even if that means he'll die as a result of it.

That brings the two sides together and brings balance.

I'm just going to copy and paste my post on what the Balance of the Force is that I posted over at jmsnews.com.

Anakin killing all the Jedi to create an equal number of people wouldn't be bringing balance to THE FORCE, it would just be balancing out the number of people.

The use of the Darkside creates the imbalance, as Yoda illuminates on when he's in the Chancellor's office in AotC and he says, "The Darkside clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is." The recent increase in use of the Darkside with Sidious and his various apprentices (Maul and Dooku) has caused the Jedi to have a weakened ability to use the Force themselves. Later in AotC, Yoda says, "Blind we are if creation of this clone army we could not see." To which Mace replies, "I think it is time to inform the Senate that our ability to use the Force has diminished." And Yoda then says, "Only the Dark Lords of the Sith know of our weakness...." The increased use of the Darkside by the Sith saps the Force causing the Jedi's decreased ability to use it. By killing Sidious and dying himself, Anakin restored balance to the Force. It's like diverting a river. The River flows along the way the lay of the land has it going, with the Jedi standing downriver making use of its water. But then the Sith come in upriver and dig a new path for the river away from its natural path, so the river goes where the Sith want it to leaving the Jedi down river having to deal with less quantity of water flowing to them now.

It's interesting to read a description of The Force from the second draft of A New Hope found in The Annotated Screenplays.

In the second draft, after he has listened to the message from his brother Deak to find their father, Luke Starkiller visits his mother's grave. Before he leaves, he tells his twin brothers about their family history and heritage: Long before the Empire, a holy man called "the Skywalker" became aware of a powerful energy field that he believed influenced the destiny of all living creatures: the Force of Others. The Force had two haves: Ashla, the good, and Bogan, the paraforce of evil. (page 36)

I think it says something that the Bogan, which would eventually evolve into the Darkside, is called a "paraforce." The prefix "para" has the following meanings: Beside, near, alongside; Beyond (as in "paranormal"); Incorrect, abnormal; Similar to, resembling. So, the Bogan (think Darkside) is beyond and similar to the Ashla (think The Force), but the Bogan is abnormal. The Darkside sucks off of The Force and weakens it, so it takes removal of those who use the Darkside in order for The Force's natural power to be restored.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS EXTENDED UNIVERSE

As far as I remember, Luke had a turn on the dark side in some of the sequel books. But I'll jump out of this thread now, since I want to read some of those books, specifically the trilogy by Timothy Zahn, and don't want to be spoiled. I can't hear you, tra la la....

Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS EXTENDED UNIVERSE

As far as I remember, Luke had a turn on the dark side in some of the sequel books. But I'll jump out of this thread now, since I want to read some of those books, specifically the trilogy by Timothy Zahn, and don't want to be spoiled. I can't hear you, tra la la....

You haven't read the Zahn's trilogy? Oh man, you're going to enjoy them so much. You know.. especially the moment when the Comm- ah I forgot, you haven't read them. Sorry :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back